Preview Round 16, 2022: Carlton v St.Kilda - Marvel Stadium, Friday 1st July, 7:50PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Blues

Votes: 68 81.9%
  • Saints

Votes: 15 18.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha ha ha - please mate - don't do it to me.

I tried all my life just to view footy as a sport to watch and enjoy not some analytics fest but the article ( and it linked articles) are a great read.

The danger is that the more I know, the more likely I'll turn into a stats nerd.

On a very basic level, my interpretation is that the coaching staff see forward pressure as an imperative because they see it as providing extra time for a less than stellar back half to set up when the opponents are attacking.

Fair enough view, but as you say perhaps because pressure is the buzz word, other metrics aren't looked at closely enough.

Perhaps we should only ever keep 3 players inside 50 (King, Higgins and Butler) and set everyone else up outside 50 and keep getting repeat i50's until one of them eventually kicks a bloody goal.
Maybe we will do that and put membrey down back for the whole game . Can’t believe we’ve gone back to the same forward line of 2 weeks ago

He rucked for about 15 minutes. He didn’t have a shot at goal in about the other 80 minutes. His form in the seniors this year is poor.
He’s come into the team at the worst time. The mids couldnt hit a barn door if it was staring them in the face. I get it he’s the last forward in. It’s not like he’s been much worse then say Membrey.

Wood seems to make our structure work a lot better so even with average VFL form I don't hate him coming in. Highmore very stiff, clearly something Ratten has issue with about his game.
After we loose Friday night at least you'd think HIGHMORE will get some remaining games! So he won't have to wait long now! At least that might stave off the wolves poaching him etc!

He’s come into the team at the worst time. The mids couldnt hit a barn door if it was staring them in the face. I get it he’s the last forward in. It’s not like he’s been much worse then say Membrey.
I totally agree with that but we can’t do much about the mids but hope they find form. Marshall or Ryder is replacing Sharman.

Wood seems to make our structure work a lot better so even with average VFL form I don't hate him coming in. Highmore very stiff, clearly something Ratten has issue with about his game.
His improvement rating (don't ask me how it's calculated) was up 55% in the first 6 rounds so if he can get back to that it's massive to how well go.

Maybe we will do that and put membrey down back for the whole game . Can’t believe we’ve gone back to the same forward line of 2 weeks ago
What should we do though. The problem is up the ground. We have no depth in the midfield so we have to make changes in other areas. So much for depth. Always said when you lose a few depth looks like crap.

Highmore getting high possessions and double figure marks nearly every week is indicative of someone who's a decent footballer not just an intercept defender.

Okay, it's only at Sandy but making him wait for a defender to fall over to get a game is stupid in my opinion.

Who's to say he doesn't have other strings to his bow unless we try him out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No complaints with the team. Probably our strongest available squad.

DMac missing is unfortunate because of the hard running and toughness.

Clearly want Wood to get back and help out in defence.
Yep agreed. Like the changes but without knowing the roles I’d say highmore unlucky and wood lucky.

Don’t know how Jones is still in.
Highmore should be in for Clark.
Higgins in because ??

Looks good on paper but form wise :poo:
True but apart from highmore there plenty out of form in the ones and none in form in the twos. You pick in hope sometimes because last weeks side didn’t get it close to done. Losing another mid for a back just makes our ordinary midfield even worse.

AFL site says FIVE changes but it's really only four as Joyce didn't play last week.

Strong team named, clearly coaches believe Wood to be important structurally and defensively, he played in most of our wins.

Dmac still missing is a real shame.

Highmore would have to be very close surely!

Yep it’s obvious once you lose 3 in a row. I’m guessing you weren’t even slightly thinking that at 8 and 3 but if that is what you were thinking you must think we had a top 2 list at that stage because if we can beat the likes of Geelong and Richmond with a confused structure then we must have a magnificent list which we clearly don’t. And all coaches play a part in game plan structure etc. I’m sure everyone loved everything new at the half way mark.

I criticised our play early as well but hoped that we were going slow deliberately. Also begged us not to sign up Ratts until the end of the year. The issues were there but winning gives you a lot of leeway. Richmond were s**t early too. Freo and Geelong are our 2 standout wins this year.

I criticised our play early as well but hoped that we were going slow deliberately. Also begged us not to sign up Ratts until the end of the year. The issues were there but winning gives you a lot of leeway. Richmond were s**t early too. Freo and Geelong are our 2 standout wins this year.
Strange but Buckley said on sen this week when we play our best we play with pace and dare. I know nothing about game plans but I’m going with him over any person on here.

I can't cop the Sydney loss. Up until 3/4 time we'd kicked 2 goals. We managed 4 for the game. Atrocious.

We had no separation and delivery inside our forward line.

We looked sh*thouse. There's more to footy than just contested ball.

Two were from suspect frees as well.

Strange but Buckley said on sen this week when we play our best we play with pace and dare. I know nothing about game plans but I’m going with him over any person on here.

I would say that's right, we play better with pace and dare but that's not a game plan. I haven't seen a heap of pace or dare this year though.

Strong changes. Highmore is unlucky given his form but those who play his position in the seniors are making it hard for him to get in.

In terms of roles,
Wood replaces Byrnes who played a lot on the wing last week. Give another good marking target down the line and releases Billings to go forward.

Ryder replaces Sharman. I still want Marshall to ruck more than Ryder but I'm not counting on it.

Higgins replaces Long. Hopefully being dropped is a kick up the but to get him to tackle and chase.

Hill replaces Paton. Presume Clark stays at half back - maybe in a more accountable role replacing Paton - and Hill goes back to half back to help with the ball movement issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back