30 - 0
40 - 5
50 - 10
60 - 15
70 - 20
80 - 25
90 - 30

Far from perfect, but it works.

The old double it and add 30 trick. Worked for us kids in primary school when working out if we would get swimming lessons. :p

well if it works, its perfect, yes? ;)

in summer we still hear some older folks on traditional media say "the mercury will hit the old 100" ie 37-ish C. So "100 - 37" is another good dot point for such a shortcut table. above that, which certainly happens in Adelaide, the next entry is "effing hot = get beer"
What do you mean "older" sonny?

well if it works, its perfect, yes? ;)

in summer we still hear some older folks on traditional media say "the mercury will hit the old 100" ie 37-ish C. So "100 - 37" is another good dot point for such a shortcut table. above that, which certainly happens in Adelaide, the next entry is "effing hot = get beer"

Why would you need 110°F/40°C to get a beer?! :-D

The old double it and add 30 trick. Worked for us kids in primary school when working out if we would get swimming lessons. :p
My grandfather taught me a more accurate variation of that, where you double the C, then subtract the first digit of the doubled number, then add 32 to get to the F.

For example:
25C became 25 × 2 = 50 - 5 = 45 + 32 = 77F.

My grandfather taught me a more accurate variation of that, where you double the C, then subtract the first digit of the doubled number, then add 32 to get to the F.

For example:

I don't know where you went to primary school but we had the attention span of goldfish. Double it and add 30 was an achievement for us! :p

Funny thing now is that Fahernheit temperatures don't mean anything to me, I'm much more comfortable with Celsius. But I still tend to convert cm to feet and inches when it comes to footballers height. Oddly though, I'm fine with kg instead of stone/pounds.

I'm so confused Mr Kotter. :D

Last edited:

For example:

Ha ha, that's the one that stuck with me too - not exactly scientific, but pretty darn accurate for temps in the weather range.

Just an interesting bit of play by Port ..
With 1.48 to go in the last quarter against the Eagles Port kicked 2 goals 1.
That took me back to the last showdown at Football Park against the Crows when we beat them with a few minutes to go and needed 2 goals :D

Last edited:

It might be less confusing for the poor dears if they put those margin numbers next to the vertical lines rather than between them

390664_920018f758f7d4d08ceb53ba5213ba34.JPG

I thought the commentators mentioned a 34 point margin and I was trying to work out when we were that far behind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought the commentators mentioned a 34 point margin and I was trying to work out when we were that far behind.

I reckon that was Derwayne, who has unfortunately become just another cringeworthy commentator.
For some reason he goes out of his way to not be seen as having any Port bias, and then comes across as the exact opposite.

It might be less confusing for the poor dears if they put those margin numbers next to the vertical lines rather than between them

390664_920018f758f7d4d08ceb53ba5213ba34.JPG
Having the margin numbers next to the horizontal lines would be even less confusing again. ;)

I reckon that was Derwayne, who has unfortunately become just another cringeworthy commentator.
For some reason he goes out of his way to not be seen as having any Port bias, and then comes across as the exact opposite.
Yeh it was Derwayne...said we came back from 34 points down, obviously meant to say 24. Who knows with Dwayne, he often says "he threw it out" when in replay its a handpass.

"If you've just joined us"....

You would think derrrwayne hated port the way he commentats our games

Nah, not 'hate'. I don't hear any malice, resentment or jealousy there. I think he just been hit about the head once too often in games and suffers from random emotion direction syndrome at times of rising stress.

You would think derrrwayne hated port the way he commentats our games
No I don't. Dwayne just doesn't lick our arse like some ex players lick their former club's arse. When we are playing poorly, he doesn't pull any punches. Remember this is a bloke who played for us when players were paraded before our fans post match, win or lose or draw, and if you had a s**t game, the coach told the crowd how s**t you were on the day. You can take the boy out of Port Adelaide, but you can't take Port Adelaide out of the boy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back