Review Round 18, Fremantle vs GWS Giants, Sunday August 2nd, 2.40pm AWST, Domain Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Hate to be pessimistic but next weekends game is all about limiting the likely damage to our percentage.

Even if we had Mummy, Shiel and Davis it would be a hard ask to knock off the Dockers on their patch. Far more experienced teams struggle to do it.

Then there's our record over there. Losses of 95, 113, and 76 points against Freo, and losses of 111 and 87 points to the Eagles. An average loss of 16 goals each time! :eek:

About the only thing you could say is that practice makes perfect, so we've got another chance to make amends. But it's a big pyschological hurdle.

Probably Matt Buntine will be back this week for Aiden Corr, and Nathan Wilson somehwere, as he's a local.

Anyone see us pinching a win?

So do we change our program in how we do a perth trip - as what were been doing so far clearly hasn't been working.
Do the cogs family dinner get the chop? wouldn't think so, but something really needs to change.
Anyway hopefully we can actually be competitive this time.

Changes - perhaps if we really don't see this as a winnable game we should get a game into local lad Pickett and see what he can add as a sub with his dash. But Would certainly like to see McCarthy or Stewart back in the side.

Hate to be pessimistic but next weekends game is all about limiting the likely damage to our percentage.

Even if we had Mummy, Shiel and Davis it would be a hard ask to knock off the Dockers on their patch. Far more experienced teams struggle to do it.

Then there's our record over there. Losses of 95, 113, and 76 points against Freo, and losses of 111 and 87 points to the Eagles. An average loss of 16 goals each time! :eek:

About the only thing you could say is that practice makes perfect, so we've got another chance to make amends. But it's a big pyschological hurdle.

Probably Matt Buntine will be back this week for Aiden Corr, and Nathan Wilson somehwere, as he's a local.

Anyone see us pinching a win?
Surely we can't drop out tallest defender.....

So do we change our program in how we do a perth trip - as what were been doing so far clearly hasn't been working.
Do the cogs family dinner get the chop? wouldn't think so, but something really needs to change.

You know the definition of insanity - doing the same thing all the time and expecting a different result...

At the moment Perth is full of bad memories for us. So I think we should go over a day earlier, to be honest. Get used to being there a bit more. Have a look around, enjoy it.

As for the Coniglio family dinner, make it lunch, so they get an early night.

I think we've been fortunate in getting GWS at home late in the season a few times..an early round game in Sydney would be interesting.

WA boys Cogs, Lobb and Sunshine should all get a game. Pickett might get travelling emergency, but shouldn't get picked in the 22 at this point. We have to stick to no free games.

Hoping the boys play freer without any expectations, and at least be competitive. Corr stays, but I want Bunts back in (possibly for Hampton - harsh I know). If we call Sunshine in for Palmer, then that should do it for changes.

Hoping the boys play freer without any expectations, and at least be competitive. Corr stays, but I want Bunts back in (possibly for Hampton - harsh I know). If we call Sunshine in for Palmer, then that should do it for changes.

It's not harsh to call for Curtly to be dropped.

This is a game where we want to be competitive. We are unlikely to win but we will want to limit damage. Curtly is the cherry on top for when we want to go wild. Bunts is a must. We should probably also consider Kennedy or Bugg as a traveling emergency in case Haynes' groin is a bit iffy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yes agree bunts for curtly is a must. I thought curtly was awful on the weekend. Im not OK with playing players just because they are WA boys. This is important in the context of the season. If we forgo this as a huge win for freo how do we then back up against other teams for important games in the coming weeks. A competitive effort is a must.

That said Mccarthy needs to come in imo and Lamb the sub at best.

I have no idea who we should drop. Just want barrett to get his shot. Do not want to lose a local talent

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
He is still young. He is also contracted. I'm happy to keep him on the slow burner atm... No1 is gonna trade for a young kid who hasn't played a game yet surely

It's a good thing the kids need to earn it imo

3 Simple changes,
McCarthy for Palmer fixes the forward line with another tall and Lamb to be instructed on the importance of defensive pressure and lay 8 tackles with 2 goals from HTB
Buntine for Greene strengthens the backline and reduces turnovers and free kicks
Wilson(Sub) for Williams, better disposal and run in the last quarter
Could be more to give an opportunity to freshen some players up with some more winnable games following

I also see Freo resting one of Pavlich/Sandilands and with saints in melbourne (no repeat of last year?) the following week and then the derby

Hampton oozes class, but always takes it that one step too far and gets himself into trouble.

That's the problem with him, he gets the ball and dazzles everyone with evasiveness and speed, but then never seems to dispose of the ball in time, or makes a bad decision when he does. He's been around for long enough to know better, but keeps on doing it. Dropping him doesn't seem to make any difference - he still does it when he's recalled.

There has to be a question mark over him this weekend, we've got to be as accurate as possible or the turnovers will produce another flogging.

Agree with posts above about Hampton.Buntine in for him.Williams has been good.His efficiency wasnt great but he wasnt alone there. Same with Greene.The key factor was getting smashed in contested possession in first quarter against Geelong.We need to compete so would keep Greene and bring back Mccarthy for injured Palmer.Give Lamb another chance.Steele is competitive and solid inside but his running ability a worry at Domain possibly.Whats Barretts tank like? Anyone know?

It would be good for Steele to get a bit of a run on Fyfe this week. We should pitch the likes of Ward and Griff at Fyfe for most of the day, but Steele would learn a lot from going to to him for some periods. I'd do the same against the Swans with Kennedy. It would be good to to see Steele become that genuine big bodied mid, and might as well start the apprenticeship on the prototypes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back