Round 2 Discussion - 2020 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Have we found our 'villain'?

FWIW I don't care, was just happy for the girls to get their first win of the year.

Stanton is a gun, glad she was able to come back on.

Looks like an ankle injury, hopefully (not that any injury is good).

Loving "Rocky" out there. Purcell looks to have quite a future.

Cats looking good

Last edited:
Lions had a few chances at the end of the half, but couldn't capitalize (much like Richmond at the end of their match).

That should give them some hope, however, that the match won't be one sided, which it was looking like 2/3rds of the way into the half.

Brisbane leading the I50s 19-6 and the tackles 42-23 but have somehow looked like the team on the backfoot after the first 5 or so minutes. Purcell's two goals, although not against the flow, sort of came from nowhere so Geelong also have a bit of work to do to get their forward-line functioning properly.

Hooooo did the big girl love that one. Brisbane probably gonna park the bus now, but it's safer to just attack harder and at least get the first goal. And as I type that Wardlaw kicks truly, Cats in a lot of trouble.

Two weeks in a row, and the Lions have smashed their opponent's off the park. Lutkins is unbeatable at the back, but their middle meant the backs didn't have so much to do for the last 40 minutes. Bates was very impressive, Conway and Anderson seemed very involved, and Wardlaw was outstanding up front (plus the Davidson goal was pretty sweet). I thought they would miss Wuetschner more, but the whole team ran very well (much like their Suns rivals yesterday).

I liked the efforts from Cranston and Morrison, and Purcell had a few nice moments, but Geelong need a lot more from their high profile players, Hickey and McWilliams. Apart from that, a lot of the young Geelong players seemed OK, but just the young Lions (many of whom I've barely heard of, they have a lot of players who've only played a few games, which is great for the future of the AFLW if they are playing so well already) out pointed them in every department in that second half. Faster, fitter, more often first to the ball, tackled more fiercely, and disposed much more cleanly (especially kicking). Geelong had plenty of the ball, just Brisbane kicked it better and marked it better and got it to where it was needed more efficiently.

Looking forward to this match. Two teams who played very well last weekend, but perhaps had a leg up in experience on their opponents. Interesting to see who comes out on top.

Hard to go past the Prespakis factor though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Batesy took the words out of my mouth in the post-match interview. Whatever you think of the first half, they just ran out the game better for the second week in a row. Feels like a more impressive win than R1 by Brisbane, hard to be sure because who knows where Geelong are at (we know where they aren't: inside the forward 50 arc).

Got some sort of idea about what the Blues can do without Davey last week, now it's the Pies' turn!

Ferocious tackling by both sides at Ikon to start the game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Some good marking early in this game.

A good game brewing at Princes Park.

Loving this game. Some may see a three goal quarter as "too low", but it has been great to watch. Collingwood are playing really smart football, but some of the Blues stars have shown some star moments, too (Loynes and Harris particularly).

More clever play from Collingwood to start the 2nd quarter. Really nice stuff.

A good game brewing at Princes Park.

100% it is, excellent contest so far. A little surprised at how much the Pies have shown early - they're a better side than last year for sure and have a new coach etc but I had Blues winning this by 3-4 goals. Time will tell!

Nice cheeky comment from captain Chiocci at the half time break!

But that is a belter of a first half. Shows how the game can be played when not played in miserable summer storms...

Blues don't look out of it. They fought hard, had some tough calls, and had some great individual moments. Loynes, Harris, McEvoy, Hosking (Jess, the good twin...nah I like them both) all pretty strong, I thought. Hope Loynes is OK, she looked to have an injury at the end.

But Collingwood are putting on a heck of a team display (one very pleasing trend this round, good teams playing together, like the Suns and Lions, are beating teams with good players). Layton dominating at the ruck (words I never thought I would say). Really liking contributions from Bonnici (the little terrier is keeping Prespakis relatively quiet), Brazill, Livingstone and Lambert. But some of their team goals that half were spectacular.

Just a really fun contest. This is what footy is all about!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back