Autopsy Round 20 vs Melbourne, MCG, 5th of August 3:20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Any other side getting soundly beaten, commentators would be encouraging a fighting finish to maintain some dignity - Hame & Co gleefully pushing for 100 points. Deadshits.
Good point. Watching the Giants v Carlton game earlier the commentary was mainly about the Blues and how their fans were getting their money’s worth seeing glimpses and effort.

That was some game. After great first attack, 2MP got injured. I could not believe when Leslie was moved forward. Structures broke down, some players panicked/overwhelmed. It looked like 200+ loss for sure. Then in the second half boys fought it out.

Negatives.
Either Holman is injured or cooked but I miss his contest from a month ago.

Lemmens dropped marks in 1st half were shockers. He did improve in 2nd half.

Fiorini still building form.

Some disposals by Miller and Bowes were ordinary to say the least.

Rischitelli looks cooked.

What s**t commentators. Enough said.

Positives.
In the second half the whole team and especially defence actually surprised me. KK, Spencer, Bowes showed something.

Leslie looked surprisingly decent forward and in the ruck.

Powell runs on empty but never gives up. Some nice marks. He will be great for us (I hope).

Like Powell, Dawson showed glimpses of a very good player (I hope).

Hanley did ok for first game.

I really liked Dew's approach. Instead of protecting smaller loss, he was asking players to have go, play the right way.

Positives.
In the second half the whole team and especially defence actually surprised me. KK, Spencer, Bowes showed something.

Leslie looked surprisingly decent forward and in the ruck.

Leslie always goes okay IMO
He's a good intercept mark
Let down a bit by speed but that hasn't stopped Grundy or Frawley who I see as similar types
Miller's disposal and decision making is B grade
Effort is A+

Actually enjoyed a flogging for once!

Something about what was said in the lynch meeting this week has completely reframed how I look at our side and especially the young players. Was the perfect antidote for the last year of the media saying we’re a basket case and need to be shut down.

I’m looking at our club in 5 years and couldn’t be more excited - past is the past and I’m up for the ride.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually enjoyed a flogging for once!

Something about what was said in the lynch meeting this week has completely reframed how I look at our side and especially the young players. Was the perfect antidote for the last year of the media saying we’re a basket case and need to be shut down.

I’m looking at our club in 5 years and couldn’t be more excited - past is the past and I’m up for the ride.
I've felt like that before..... roughly 5 years ago.

I know mate me too.... but just like the players we have to put it behind us get behind this core group of players that have belief.
The one plus now is the young ones seem committed. Calling out the captain on loyalty. I love it.

While it's fresh, I thought I'd give some thoughts on the top 11 vs bottom 11. I know stats don't tell the whole story but here goes.

Bottom 11

Obviously Peter Wright wouldn't be in this list if he wasn't injured. If he's gone for the year and possibly some of 2019, not much we can do but haven't got a lot of big bodies left!

Lemmens, Heron and Powell : Said it last week so nothing new. Heron and Powell need to go back to NEAFL and learn the game. Lemmens just needs to be gone whether he has a contract or not. Just not AFL standard.

Spencer - not really ready but looks like he'll have to be played in view of lack of tall guys and down back.

Rischitelli - been good and loyal but play out the year, keep him around but not on the ground

Young - worth keeping in only for the fact he does have some AFL experience but younger and new recruits will hopefully replace him

Leslie - definitely a keeper if only as security for May etc either forward or back

Ah Chee - still not sold on him but worth keeping until better players can be found / 22 possession for only 49 points suggests didn't do much with the pill

Bowes - another one yet to convince me but hopefully these types of thrashings will make him grow and mature faster

Dawson - a keeper and needs as many games as we can give him

Top 11

Hanley - need his maturity around the club and get some games into his battered body for 2019

Holman - see Young : insurance policy as we rebuild

Lonergan - big body and we don't have enough of them. Been a surprise package and needs more time in the middle

Sexton - Must say he's not a favourite but in a good side, he'll be worth keeping

Harbrow - the little guy is a favourite and so he should be

KK - played better and again worth keeping because of games played and experience

Weller - he's one who will only get better as the team gets some grunt

Fiorini - one to watch but still hasn't convinced me

Miller - he's my outside mid when we get a better mid field. Currently out of his depth but a true team man

Brodie - do not let this guy get away. he'll be a gun!

Witts - Very important and did a great job against Gawn today

Summation:

Not often you get spanked by 96 points and see some light at the end of the tunnel. Guess the same or worse next week from the Tigers but we push on building character and eventually more talent.

Lyons and Barlow should have played - no doubt about it. Maybe we pay Dew out early and go hard for a Clarko / Sam Mitchell combo!

Ballard, Ainsworth and Crossley are keepers as well so if we recruit smartly and get the tough guys we so desperately need, it'll turn around

...one last thought - in view of the Gaff incident today I'd be on to his manager immediately and see if he'd like to get away from WA for a few years or more. Not as silly as it sound!

Loyalty NOT Lynch should be the new catch cry.

Are you from the Coast Jarrod island

Hey eppo67, I'm in Melbourne now and was born in country Vic, but spent most of my formative years and early adulthood on the Coast.

I've always followed the Suns, albeit less actively than Richmond online. I work a bit in sports media/writing and I've just started putting together some stuff about GC footy and the people involved in it - mostly in frustration at the overwhelming negative media.

How about you?

While it's fresh, I thought I'd give some thoughts on the top 11 vs bottom 11. I know stats don't tell the whole story but here goes.

Bottom 11

Obviously Peter Wright wouldn't be in this list if he wasn't injured. If he's gone for the year and possibly some of 2019, not much we can do but haven't got a lot of big bodies left!

Lemmens, Heron and Powell : Said it last week so nothing new. Heron and Powell need to go back to NEAFL and learn the game. Lemmens just needs to be gone whether he has a contract or not. Just not AFL standard.

Spencer - not really ready but looks like he'll have to be played in view of lack of tall guys and down back.

Rischitelli - been good and loyal but play out the year, keep him around but not on the ground

Young - worth keeping in only for the fact he does have some AFL experience but younger and new recruits will hopefully replace him

Leslie - definitely a keeper if only as security for May etc either forward or back

Ah Chee - still not sold on him but worth keeping until better players can be found / 22 possession for only 49 points suggests didn't do much with the pill

Bowes - another one yet to convince me but hopefully these types of thrashings will make him grow and mature faster

Dawson - a keeper and needs as many games as we can give him

Top 11

Hanley - need his maturity around the club and get some games into his battered body for 2019

Holman - see Young : insurance policy as we rebuild

Lonergan - big body and we don't have enough of them. Been a surprise package and needs more time in the middle

Sexton - Must say he's not a favourite but in a good side, he'll be worth keeping

Harbrow - the little guy is a favourite and so he should be

KK - played better and again worth keeping because of games played and experience

Weller - he's one who will only get better as the team gets some grunt

Fiorini - one to watch but still hasn't convinced me

Miller - he's my outside mid when we get a better mid field. Currently out of his depth but a true team man

Brodie - do not let this guy get away. he'll be a gun!

Witts - Very important and did a great job against Gawn today

Summation:

Not often you get spanked by 96 points and see some light at the end of the tunnel. Guess the same or worse next week from the Tigers but we push on building character and eventually more talent.

Lyons and Barlow should have played - no doubt about it. Maybe we pay Dew out early and go hard for a Clarko / Sam Mitchell combo!

Ballard, Ainsworth and Crossley are keepers as well so if we recruit smartly and get the tough guys we so desperately need, it'll turn around

...one last thought - in view of the Gaff incident today I'd be on to his manager immediately and see if he'd like to get away from WA for a few years or more. Not as silly as it sound!

Loyalty NOT Lynch should be the new catch cry.
LOYALTY NOT LYNCH!!! Love it - I smell a banner

Remove this Banner Ad

Back