Preview Round 5: Port Adelaide vs Carlton, Adelaide Oval, 21/04/17

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hopefully our only Friday Night game for the year is a great one as we kick off ANZAC Round.

So far in 2017, Port Adelaide have appeared to prove the critics wrong, who mostly had them missing the 8 again, Hinkley being sacked and some even going as far as finishing bottom 4! But that all changed one Saturday evening in Sydney as they broke an 11 year hoodoo and then destroyed Fremantle at home. The Power are playing much better football compared to that that saw them miss finals in 2015 and 2016. They will now be looking to bounce back after two losses to premiership contenders Adelaide and GWS.

As for the boys in blue, they improved under Bolton last year but many see this as a “one step forward, two steps back” kind of year. They had a memorable win in the pouring rain against rivals Essendon and were competitive against an improved Gold Coast outfit.

The last time we met really gets the blood boiling! Coming off a bad enough loss to them in 2015, we returned to Melbourne to seek retribution. It looked all but likely as the Power were 18 up in the last quarter. That was until a Matthew Kreuzer inspired Carlton charged back to victory. Of course they were assisted by Cam O’Shea deciding to handball backwards instead of going forward to an almost certain goal and Karl Amon’s terrible unawareness in defensive 50. The Blues picked up a 2 point victory as the Power left disgraced!

What happens this time? Port are lucky enough to get Carlton at home this time, and surely they can’t bend over 3 years in a row? Carlton have had a lot of luck on their side when coming up against Port Adelaide in recent times. In fact, their last 3 wins over the Power have been by a combined margin of just 7 points. On the other hand, Port’s last 3 wins over the Blues have been by a combined margin of 190 points. So my instinct is that it’ll either be a convincing win by the home side or the visitors with yet another lucky escape.

Lest We Forget.

Carlton should finish the season in the bottom 2, their only weapon is their ability in the clearances. If the game is wet like the Essendon game that gives them a chance. If the game is dry we should be far too good all around the ground.

If we lose this I'd be devastated and the axe would need to fall Hard!

If we're serious, Port by 43

If we don't get +30 contested possessions, I'll consider it a loss.

We owe these ******* campaigners HUGE for the past two years.

Friday 21 April
Summary
light-showers.png

Min 16
Max 24
Possible shower.
Possible rainfall: 0 to 0.4 mm
Chance of any rain: 40%
rain_40.gif

Adelaide area
Partly cloudy. Medium (40%) chance of showers. Winds southeasterly 15 to 20 km

As provided by BOM - South Australia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should have beat these flags last year and year before were it not for the green smurfs. I believe we'll at least get 50/50 umpiring and we should thrash them. And I hope we do it in style. We're a lot better than last year and they're worse than last year.

This is the exact kind of game we lose after a strong showing against top sides. Change the record and let's thump them by 80 points, please!

Yep amends must be made. The last two games against these clowns have been absolutely infuriating and we owe them a triple-figure pumping.

Really we should be belting them by more than we did Freo.

Friday Night.. national stage, 50k+ crowd, there is no friggin way we're losing this one. Will look forward to being 3-2 after this round.

we have a side that can win it all but the key element is we as a side are not ruthless enough at them moment and a lot of that blame goes in to coaching to have these guy totally focused on footy. That the biggest issue i see when you as a player are committed and have belief in the system those other skills full in line and our boys seem like "oh when we feel like it" something like other teams do so well we really have to start asking the questions are what we have in the coaches box and more so is the PAFC board hungry enough for success on field instead of worrying about overseas money

we have a side that can win it all but the key element is we as a side are not ruthless enough at them moment and a lot of that blame goes in to coaching to have these guy totally focused on footy. That the biggest issue i see when you as a player are committed and have belief in the system those other skills full in line and our boys seem like "oh when we feel like it" something like other teams do so well we really have to start asking the questions are what we have in the coaches box and more so is the PAFC board hungry enough for success on field instead of worrying about overseas money
You do realise that the 'overseas money' is what is needed for our club to survive?
You do realise that the Board have a fairly good footy department to support our on field players and staff?
You do realise that the point of the 'overseas money' is to build an even better footy department to support our on field efforts?
This either - or crap is just uninformed in my opinion.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back