AFL Autopsy Round 6: 36 Point loss to the Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

Was sitting on level 3 above the goals the Essenndon suporters around me were just numb they would rather play with their phones then watch the garbage unfold.
You must've been pretty close to me then. The ones behind me wouldn't shut up though so maybe you were in the next bay.

There are no as many as there used to be.

It's funny, now that the range of abuse which can be hurled at played has shrunk the crowds at least at Etihad are almost dead quite.

Couple the 'spectacle' of the players all being in one third of the ground most of the time with the dead quiet crowds footy is definitely become a television product.

We need some soccer style chanting or karaoke classics. I don't like the idea of a purpose built soccer stadium in the south eastern suburbs for the long term position of AFL in the hearts and minds of the 3 million people out there. Sure the soccer sucks (even if it is improving) but being in those crowds is the sort of thing I see capturing the imagination of kids who go to games. The football is just weird.
I only got to one game last year (v Power) and, while it was great to see us win, the quarters we were kicking to the end away from our seats did lack atmosphere at our end because the entire field area in front of us was empty. If one team dominates, you end up watching a lot of the game on the screen anyway.

You mean that dude trying to get the 'WE ARE ESSENDON' chant going doesn't enthral you?

Yeah, me neither.
I like the 'We Are Essendon' chant... but I like it when it's organic from the crowd because the team is up and about, making a massive comeback against the Roos in 2016, stuff like that. Trying to fake it as some sort of rev up the crowd thing at the start just doesn't work, comes off very contrived. Similar when the March to the 'G thing was organised in 2016 (back our boys etc). And then they tried to do it last year, and people still went so I guess it was successful :shrug: . But it wasn't the same at all as that "grassroots" sort of support.

I like the 'We Are Essendon' chant... but I like it when it's organic from the crowd because the team is up and about, making a massive comeback against the Roos in 2016, stuff like that. Trying to fake it as some sort of rev up the crowd thing at the start just doesn't work, comes off very contrived. Similar when the March to the 'G thing was organised in 2016 (back our boys etc). And then they tried to do it last year, and people still went so I guess it was successful :shrug: . But it wasn't the same at all as that "grassroots" sort of support.
They need to make the chant more "street" to appeal to the youth, I'd suggest a response from the crowd (in brackets):

We are Essendon, We are Essendon (say whaaaat?)
We are Essendon, we Are Essendon (uh, huh, uh huh)
We are Essendon, we Are Essendon (yo, wasssuuuuuup?)

There are not as many as there used to be.

It's funny, now that the range of abuse which can be hurled at played has shrunk the crowds at least at Etihad are almost dead quite.

Couple the 'spectacle' of the players all being in one third of the ground most of the time with the dead quiet crowds footy is definitely become a television product.

We need some soccer style chanting or karaoke classics. I don't like the idea of a purpose built soccer stadium in the south eastern suburbs for the long term position of AFL in the hearts and minds of the 3 million people out there. Sure the soccer sucks (even if it is improving) but being in those crowds is the sort of thing I see capturing the imagination of kids who go to games. The football is just weird.
Spend some time in front of The Locker Room bar. They chant "soccer-like"..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The the bloke in the wheel chair s**t he’s annoying.
I didn't actually mean him. I meant what Lore was referring to - the guy out on the ground with his mic who tries to whip the chant up a few minutes before the bounce.

It's terrible and should be stopped immediately. Chants are better when they're organic, not forced on us by some schmuck!

Ha ha. So everyone knows Stevie...
I don’t even live in Victoria and I know who he is.

It’d be interesting if the club tried to position him as our Joffa.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back