VFL Round 6 - Collingwood vs Box Hill at Olympic Park Oval (Pies lost 76-102)

Remove this Banner Ad

You think we are eating our words because he is dominant at VFL level? Right. The only problem I see for Scharenberg is his athletecism, speed and desperation will need to be vastly improved at AFL level to play the role as sweeping defender. The only slow bloke in the league that can do it as a medium defender is Hodge, and there is a significant difference in the intensity shown by Hodge and Scharenberg.

Scharenberg will need to play on quick players at the elite level, and that makes me nervous. Really hoped he would bulk up and be able to take a key forward.
Pft you wanted him to show something and now he is. Not his problem he has to do it in the VFL right now.

He's one of the smartest players on our list he doesn't need elite speed to compete. Besides that by all reports his speed has been fine in the VFL so it's a non issue for me. He was never going to be a KPD.

This is the "problem" isn't it. The two positional like for like players are playing career best seasons. Trying to bring Berg in is not as straight forward as is being made out. Where else could be play? Who else could he replace?

Aish HBF.

Schaz can defend 1v1, he can also read the play as to not have too, he can win the ball and use it better.

Pre AFL he was seen as someone who eventually would play midfield so the ability to play smaller HBF is not an issue for him.

This is the "problem" isn't it. The two positional like for like players are playing career best seasons. Trying to bring Berg in is not as straight forward as is being made out. Where else could be play? Who else could he replace?

I think its a good thing for Berg. Kids has a shocking run and last thing he needs is to be set up to fail.

No idea tbh but I'd assume that the difference b/w AFL and VFL isn't that big of a factor. Being conservative is good but I think we're past that and heading into ultra conservative territory or something else is going on. Also, even though he's done two knees, it's not two knees on the same peg which is a pretty big deal.
My problem is that even when the team is winning you can't ignore the form he's been in. We've been losing and he basically hasn't played AFL in 4 years or something so he's going to be very frustrated. It would be a catastrophe to put all this work into him and then see him leave when he finally gets his body right.
I kind of agree with you, but we as supporters, don't know the unknowns.
Most of theses things are never as simple as we might want them to be

Aish HBF.

Schaz can defend 1v1, he can also read the play as to not have too, he can win the ball and use it better.

Pre AFL he was seen as someone who eventually would play midfield so the ability to play smaller HBF is not an issue for him.
Maybe. Seems to make our backline look very tall and slow though structurally. Dunn, Schade, Berg, Howe, Goldsack and Smith\ Maynard. I'd be a bit worried about our ability to defend at ground level against nippy smalls.

Maybe. Seems to make our backline look very tall and slow though structurally. Dunn, Schade, Berg, Howe, Goldsack and Smith\ Maynard. I'd be a bit worried about our ability to defend at ground level against nippy smalls.
Good thing we have Marley Williams for that ... oh wait :(

If Goldsack is having a career best season then I'm concerned. Anyway even if it he was, the long term value of Scharenberg should trump anything Goldsack has to offer in the short term. If Scharenberg leaves because he can't dislodge Goldsack from the best 22 then that's a * up of epic proportions. Fwiw I think it's quite likely that Scharenberg is better than the Sack as it stands and it will be good having another player who doesn't fumble under pressure and can be relied upon to hit targets in our best 22. It's one of those tough decisions that a coach has to make

Last edited:
I have a theory about Shaz and non selection in AFL. Given his last 3 years they are making 110% sure he is fully endurance wise fit for AFL for his long term career at the Pies or whereever.

Shaz to me seems a bit of a thinking mens footballer and this may sit quite comfortably with him. By the same token it could be said a similar approach to Ramsay may have been to his long term development

I think the Shaz will be unleashed next week given the VFL bye.
I've been thinking the same thing. Let him gets some touch and match fitness and then have him in the team after the bye. It may have been the plan from the start.

J.Aish 183cm medium pacer.

M.Scharenberg 191cm medium pacer.

He wouldn't be replacing a "quick", Aish plays like a medium tall good above his head gets a lot of stop and prop marks/kicks. Doesn't often break the lines or play like a traditional half back.

Be different if we were replacing Jason Johanison but we aren't.

Yeah after I watched him from reading that first report on him I don't have much concerns with his straight line pace in general, have watched him run away from forwards with ball in hand.

Only time I have seen him lumber was when he was either limping or just flat exhausted.
I need to pay more attention to his lateral movement next game because some players can be quick in straight lines but as soon as they have to deviate lose a leg to the more agile quicks (which can give the appearance of lack of overall pace).

AFL tank and a hardened body just needs to be built imo.
Scharenberg's lateral movement is elite imo. It's the one physical(also mental) characteristic that distinguishes him from the players drafted around him. He's not fast imo but he's one of those guy who never gets caught and it's because he knows where everyone is and he has the timing and agility to act on that. Kind of similar to why Sam Mitchell never gets caught imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scharenberg's lateral movement is elite imo. It's the one physical(also mental) characteristic that distinguishes him from the players drafted around him. He's not fast imo but he's one of those guy who never gets caught and it's because he knows where everyone is and he has the timing and agility to act on that. Kind of similar to why Sam Mitchell never gets caught imo.

Yeah was referring to McClarty there. You bring up a good point with Schaz though.

On McClarty: There were some reports his pace was of concern I bought it up here after round 1 vfl game, asking those who had seen him if they saw it as a concern but after I got to watch him I didn't have any overt fears over his pace (not that he is a Usain Bolt but equally not a turtle).

Yeah was referring to McClarty there. You bring up a good point with Schaz though.

On McClarty: There were some reports his pace was of concern I bought it up here after round 1 vfl game, asking those who had seen him if they saw it as a concern but after I got to watch him I didn't have any overt fears over his pace (not that he is a Usain Bolt but equally not a turtle).
ah ok. I agree on McLarty as well. He's not fast but he's not slow either and given that he's tall and built like a fridge I don't think it matters the much.

Berg can only replace Howe or Goldy. Neither are getting dropped.

I'm happy for him to play a big chuck of vfl and be 110% when he's picked.
Goldsack can play forward, would offer more pressure acts than number 11 as an example

I'm a big McCarty fan, probably the best of the youngsters imo. Great value at pick 30
As I recall McLarty was seen as top 10 to 15 maybe even lower a year or so back; then some injuries pushed him down a bit and he landed at 30 for us.

I think he might prove a steal.

The thing that impressed me on scharenberg was a half volley he did in the third or maybe last quarter plus as someone mentioned whenever a good mark was taken you knew it was him.....hope he ends up working out..
Hey anyone know what happened to daicos? Poke in the eye i heard?? I was spewin looked forward to seeing him....
When i saw sier i almost dropped my beer.....thought he was a myth....i only saw half a game.....how did he play?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back