VFL Round 6 - Collingwood vs Box Hill at Olympic Park Oval (Pies lost 76-102)

Remove this Banner Ad

Pft you wanted him to show something and now he is. Not his problem he has to do it in the VFL right now.

He's one of the smartest players on our list he doesn't need elite speed to compete. Besides that by all reports his speed has been fine in the VFL so it's a non issue for me. He was never going to be a KPD.

I wanted him to show something? He has already shown me this type of footy in the vfl finals a couple of years ago. I am more worried that he will be consistently beaten for pace in our backline, which will mean goals kicked on him.

We shall only see who is right when he plays. Fingers crossed, i am wrong.

Mayne 12 touches 0.0.
Not even a shadow of a doubt that this guy is the worst pick up we've ever had.
Just read the changes thread and there are few people naming him as an in, what is this I don't even...

Berg can only replace Howe or Goldy. Neither are getting dropped.

I'm happy for him to play a big chuck of vfl and be 110% when he's picked.

Disagree that he can only replace those 2. Think he could play almost any position down the flanks. Even midfield longer term. I'd just like to see him get some VFL exposure in those other spots rather than just throw him in there.

Scharenberg has to play off the back of a 41 possesion game, it's getting silly now if he doesn't.

Simple solutions too;

Aish out injured obviously, Maynard to the wing or half forward, and there's plenty of room for Berg down back.

He's not that slow either, he's Pendlebury like in both pace and evasive ability. I so want to see if that evasiveness will transfer from the VFL where they simply can;t touch him, to the seniors because if it can speed won't be an issue.

He's actually not that slow either, there was a contest at Sandy a few weeks back where the ball went inside an empty Sandy forward 50 and he and his opponent had to run back after the ball. He won the foot race and then used it well, of course.

I wanted him to show something? He has already shown me this type of footy in the vfl finals a couple of years ago. I am more worried that he will be consistently beaten for pace in our backline, which will mean goals kicked on him.

We shall only see who is right when he plays. Fingers crossed, i am wrong.
Thats alright there were plenty of others on here that weren't even happy with that effort, and put him down for his 4 AFL games. I thought you might have been on that side of the coin.

He's not going to be matched up on the fastest forward. The thing he might struggle with at start is the pace of the game. Anyone that hasn't played for 2 years is always going to struggle with that. So I don't think it will be fair to judge him off a couple of games this year if he does look a little out of place. But the best thing for him is to play a good block of games so he can get some more AFL experience and hopefully we can see some of the elite AFL traits he was drafted for.

If Goldsack is having a career best season then I'm concerned. Anyway even if it he was, the long term value of Scharenberg should trump anything Goldsack has to offer in the short term. If Scharenberg leaves because he can't dislodge Goldsack from the best 22 then that's a **** up of epic proportions. Fwiw I think it's quite likely that Scharenberg is better than the Sack as it stands and it will be good having another player who doesn't fumble under pressure and can be relied upon to hit targets in our best 22. It's one of those tough decisions that a coach has to make

One of the biggest flaws in our defence is a lack of pace. Replacing the Sack with Berg only compounds that.

The kick to handball ratio of Broomhead and especially Langdon, is very telling imo. Langdon should be having a lot more kicks given where he plays. Berg was really our only high possession winner who had a good kick/handball ratio.

Broomy played midfield and it was a pretty congested game.

Broomy played midfield and it was a pretty congested game.
Yeah that's why I said moreso Langdon. 25 handballs is ridiculous playing off half back. Broomhead can be forgiven if he was playing an inside role.

Yeah that's why I said moreso Langdon. 25 handballs is ridiculous playing off half back. Broomhead can be forgiven if he was playing an inside role.

Langdon still looks a fair way off the pace. Did a couple of nice things but really only ahead of a few of the other AFL listed players. I'd suggest Daicos, Mackie, Lynch and McCarthy behind him.

agree Maynard could be a weapon on the wing but atm he has to play back. without Sinclair and varcoe we need some speed rather than another tall, which to me is what Shaz plays like.

down the track who knows.

No point in speed if you give up cheap goals. I know watching the game we conceded three goals directly from Maynard errors. I would need to watch the replay for the third, but the first was the sloppy tackle on Puopolo and the second the shank kick in the goal square.

Scharenberg doesn't make those little errors which come with big consequences in the defensive third. It often leaves Maynard chasing arse for the rest of the game to make up for them. If we can move him further up the field those errors become easier to defend and though we may sacrifice a little in pace (I think it's debatable that Maynard is that much quicker), but gain a tremendous amount in composure.

Composure > pace in the back third all day long, IMO.

No point in speed if you give up cheap goals. I know watching the game we conceded three goals directly from Maynard errors. I would need to watch the replay for the third, but the first was the sloppy tackle on Puopolo and the second the shank kick in the goal square.

Scharenberg doesn't make those little errors which come with big consequences in the defensive third. It often leaves Maynard chasing arse for the rest of the game to make up for them. If we can move him further up the field those errors become easier to defend and though we may sacrifice a little in pace (I think it's debatable that Maynard is that much quicker), but gain a tremendous amount in composure.

Clearly the club believe he will develop composure with experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fvVpgfM.png

ieePrgX.png

IS there a legitimate reason he couldn't play forward?
Has he ever played forward since he's been in our system? What would you expect to gain from playing him in a completely foreign role in the game you choose to elevate him to seniors?. Just sets him up to fail. Try him forward in the VFL by all means though.

If Goldsack is having a career best season then I'm concerned. Anyway even if it he was, the long term value of Scharenberg should trump anything Goldsack has to offer in the short term. If Scharenberg leaves because he can't dislodge Goldsack from the best 22 then that's a **** up of epic proportions. Fwiw I think it's quite likely that Scharenberg is better than the Sack as it stands and it will be good having another player who doesn't fumble under pressure and can be relied upon to hit targets in our best 22. It's one of those tough decisions that a coach has to make
I think you are under rating his contribution to our backline this year. He contributes well beyond his stats does the Sack and he has been very steady if you ask me. Having his experience and a more settled back 6 should not be under estimated either. You could be right though and it is tough decision time with the Berg pushing this hard.. I'm more just pointing out it is hardly the cut and dried no brainer selection decision some say it is.

My god those stats are interesting. Reads like we smashed them and our players had a field day... Until you see the inside 50's. We got 150 more disposals for 2 more inside 50's and one less scoring shot!!! Wtf!
Interesting?
You mean like the old curse:
"May you live in interesting times" kind of interesting?

Yes he does. Every footballer makes mistakes.

My god those stats are interesting. Reads like we smashed them and our players had a field day... Until you see the inside 50's. We got 150 more disposals for 2 more inside 50's and one less scoring shot!!! Wtf!

Both sides relatively undersize. Cox didn't play for the Pies and the Dawks lost Heatherly and Sicily to the seniors and didn't bother with Brand going back. Made it a really congested game with lots of stoppages.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back