Toast Round 7 = Geelong 35-57 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

If you're still advocating for Jordan to play as a midfielder, pull the pin - or take up the pokies.

Suckers are needed during such times.

Honestly.
No Pokies in Victoria:), seriously though ... I got the impression from the Buckley interview that it is JDG who sees himself playing in the middle.

Until it happened, I also didn't realise that Buckley put Crisp in the middle toward the end of the game. Buckley has made some good moves in the past two weeks.

Last edited:
A lot of winners on the night.
JDG obviously.
Crisp finally on the move and proactive with run.
Pendles, Treloar and Adams all good.
Moore a beast down back.

Beat them pretty much everywhere on the ground.

I would say its a goal due to Roughead making the wrong decision. You don't run away, you either wait till Hawkins taps it or if he grabs it you tackle him. You're allowed to tackle him like any mid can if he grabs it.

In hindsight I reckon Roughy made contact with Hawkins at potentially the same time he heard his nomination for the ruck hadn't registered.

I assume he turned away and put his head down that he expected the whistle to blow for an infringement.

Few more notes this morning...

How good is Blicavs? He absolutely blanketed Mihocek last night.

Thought Crisp was much improved. Possibly his best game of the season, back to "almost AA form" I thought. Unless I'm just clouded by that last clearance.

And... pending how our next 2-3 weeks go... Optus Stadium ain't so bad. 3-1 there now. We should hub up in Perth at any opportunity.
Mihocek actually played well and did his job. That rocket he put out in front of WHE for a 6point result was unbelievable vision and execution. The guy is a star and will demand extra coin $$$.

I've been thinking about this for a while now, but I think he might just about be the best player I've seen play for us, and that goes back to 1970. What the hell are we going to do when he's gone?

Easily the best player (maybe with buddy) to not win a brownlow that I've seen.
Hasn't lost is touch either. Absolute superstar and may still get another AA guernsey

Mihocek actually played well and did his job. That rocket he put out in front of WHE for a 6point result was unbelievable vision and execution. The guy is a star and will demand extra coin $$$.

He did well when he actually managed to get his hands on it. I was moreso talking inside 50.

That said, I expect Mihocek to play a similar role against McGovern next weekend. If his output is the same I'd definitely cop that.

Whilst I am stoked with the win and sets up another awesome weekend still not happy about the result.

They were down 3 starting on ballers from 5 mins in (Jelwood, Duncan, Narkle) and we got the good run of the grain with the umpires and yet Geelong were within 10 points with 2 minutes to go.

I’ve said it plenty of times before, this side lacks a killer instinct, too often we let teams consistently have a sniff and a better team tonight may have ran over the top of us.

Would love to witness someday soon us just burying a team well and truly and put the result beyond doubt. I’m yet to see it with this squad.

Great to see JDG pick up some form. The week off did him wonders. Keen to see how Sidebottom responds now upon coming back.

PS how good is TRELOAR? 😍

Just on the goal in point 1, Roughead was going to compete but was told by the umpire that he wasn’t the nominated ruck as it was thrown in so had to pull out of the contest. It was basically a free goal to Geelong because of shitty rules/umpiring.

We didn't have a ruckman or anyone nominate. Like or hate the rule, that's still our mistake. Also, Roughead didn't have to run away from the ball. He could have stood and waited for Hawkins to compete and then tackle.

It happened on a number of occasions last night where we didn't have a ruck because Grundy was gassed.

I liked the structure of last night, but Grundy will be destroyed by finals if he doesn't get support. It's why Cox probably comes back in...or alternatively I would prefer Cameron. He'll need support.

Can't blame the umpires for that goal. It was purely lack of communication that we didn't identify Grundy wasn't there, and no one nominated. Again, a goal to Geelong because of our mistake. At least 4 of their 5 goals came from our direct mistakes. Clean these little things up and we are invincible.

Whilst I am stoked with the win and sets up another awesome weekend still not happy about the result.

They were down 3 starting on ballers from 5 mins in (Jelwood, Duncan, Narkle) and we got the good run of the grain with the umpires and yet Geelong were within 10 points with 2 minutes to go.

I’ve said it plenty of times before, this side lacks a killer instinct, too often we let teams consistently have a sniff and a better team tonight may have ran over the top of us.

Would love to witness someday soon us just burying a team well and truly and put the result beyond doubt. I’m yet to see it with this squad.

Great to see JDG pick up some form. The week off did him wonders. Keen to see how Sidebottom responds now upon coming back.

Our Style of Play and Poor Forward Line we are never going to win by a Big Margin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had this sense too, but then I've had to stop and remember that the last 4 games we've played have been in the wet, and we don't play well in the wet. The Richmond game was very dewy as well and we played poorly in the second half there.

We've played 2 dry games this year against Bulldogs and Saints, and they were absolute pummelings. So I'm just grateful we've gone 2 wins, 1 draw, and 2 losses in these conditions. With the rest of our season played either in Perth of Brisbane, you would think we'd get good conditions 75% of the time now.

We didn't have a ruckman or anyone nominate. Like or hate the rule, that's still our mistake. Also, Roughead didn't have to run away from the ball. He could have stood and waited for Hawkins to compete and then tackle.

It happened on a number of occasions last night where we didn't have a ruck because Grundy was gassed.

I liked the structure of last night, but Grundy will be destroyed by finals if he doesn't get support. It's why Cox probably comes back in...or alternatively I would prefer Cameron. He'll need support.

Can't blame the umpires for that goal. It was purely lack of communication that we didn't identify Grundy wasn't there, and no one nominated. Again, a goal to Geelong because of our mistake. At least 4 of their 5 goals came from our direct mistakes. Clean these little things up and we are invincible.

Rather Rest Grundy vs Freo then vs Eagles as Nic Nat would Destroy any other Ruckman we have

No Pokies in Victoria:), seriously though ... I got the impression from the Buckley interview that it is JDG who sees himself playing in the middle.

Until it happened, I also didn't realise that Buckley put Crisp in the middle toward the end of the game. Buckley has made some good moves in the past two weeks.
Yeah I thought Nathan coached well last night, too.

Use of Elliott through the middle, Crisp finding some time as a centreman, Cox out/De Goey permanent forward.

Scoreboard flattered them. Killed them. Nearly all their goals came from our errors, whereas they didn't cough up any, all our goals came from good play. Usually that'll even out a bit more and the gap would have been significantly larger.

Yeah I thought Nathan coached well last night, too.

Use of Elliott through the middle, Crisp finding some time as a centreman, Cox out/De Goey permanent forward.
I think there is more to it as well, group seems pretty close.

When they ran out they all were smiling and joking, I thought to myself they better be on as pretty important game.

Today, thinking about the game, I now think they had it under control, seem pretty confident.

Elliot started spending time in the centre last year (I love him always puts in).

We needed that win as the top 8 is pretty tight and with the second best percentage.

I noticed last night that when Grundy spent some time on the bench we just used positional players to nominate for the Ruck. I think even Will's went up at one stage. I don't mind this tactic as long as the players are aware and are ready/set up to compete at ground level. Much like oppositions do when Grundy rucks.

Last night we saw Grundy make a big play on a wing, maybe a tackle for HTB from memory. Obviously took himself off and unfortunately Wills was already on the bench.

At least one of the ruck contests which Esava competed in alone was in our forward 50 so luckily it didn't have too much impact. Still, you'd think someone would at least nominate...

I noticed last night that when Grundy spent some time on the bench we just used positional players to nominate for the Ruck. I think even Will's went up at one stage. I don't mind this tactic as long as the players are aware and are ready/set up to compete at ground level. Much like oppositions do when Grundy rucks.

1 Stage we did not put any Ruck up

I think there is more to it as well, group seems pretty close.

When they ran out they all were smiling and joking, I thought to myself they better be on as pretty important game.

Today, thinking about the game, I now think they had it under control, seem pretty confident.

Elliot started spending time in the centre last year (I love him always puts in).

We needed that win as the top 8 is pretty tight and with the second best percentage.

Unfortunately our great percentage won't mean a thing unless we end up on the same points as Richmond or there's another draw.

Unfortunately our great percentage won't mean a thing unless we end up on the same points as Richmond or there's another draw.

No unfortunately about it.

I’d rather have half a win than none at all!!!!!

percentage is still of psychological benefit... scaring other teams

Besides in an historic low scoring season there’s every chance of more draws before the season is out.

I know my opinion is a little bit delayed, but I literally just watched the game. Wife’s birthday yesterday so I muted all group chats, took no calls and read no messages! Felt so weird not watching and chatting live lol.

Great win. I’m really starting to feel that 2018 buzz about the group at the moment. I really get the vibe that hub life is galvanising the group and they love being on the road together. I just hope that long term the AFL and the club can help those with families fulfil their needs so we can avoid losing players.

Obviously we’d all like to see more scoring, but low scoring is the trend so I don’t feel like it’s exclusively a Collingwood issue.

My Geelong supporter mate genuinely thinks Grundy deserves 1 week for the contest that caused Jordan Clark’s shoulder injury lmao. He’s so salty. I love it 🤣

It wasn’t a pretty game in my opinion, but from what I’ve seen in regards to post match press conferences, the players were extremely satisfied with the win and to me, that’s all that matters. If they feel like they went in with a plan and executed it, who am I to question? The backs were rock solid as always, the mids fought hard all night and the forwards (outside of Jordy) broke even.

A few random points:
- Great to see Jordy stick it up the haters. I know he’s got his outside of footy issues, but keep playing well and that’ll take some external heat off him.
- I love seeing the uproar about the free kick count. Be first to the ball and lay more tackles, ya get more frees.
- Tay Adams is flying. Severely underrated outside of Collingwood. The Heath Shaw trade was a win win for both clubs.
- JDG needs to spend majority of time forward. I’m loving what Billy Elliott is giving us as that 70-30 mid forward option at the moment.
- I can’t believe after 300 odd games Pendles is still so ultra consistent and regularly in the best 5 players on the ground.

I could go on forever. We’ve got some EXCELLENT players on our list. Established and up and coming.

I would say its a goal due to Roughead making the wrong decision. You don't run away, you either wait till Hawkins taps it or if he grabs it you tackle him. You're allowed to tackle him like any mid can if he grabs it.
WRONG - if you are not a nominated ruck and impede a nominated ruckman from the opposition it is an AUTOMATIC 50 meter penalty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back