Preview Round 9, 2021: St.Kilda v Geelong - Marvel Stadium, Friday 14th May, 7:50PM AEST *WEBSTER 100TH* *WILKIE 50TH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Cats

Votes: 43 66.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure they smashed Richmond but they also lost to Sydney two weeks ago so no reason we cant so the same thing.

This is a team that let Hickey dominate them, and even in the best form of his life, Ryder and Marshall are better ruckman than Hickey. We have just as many good midfielders as Sydney does. We have just as many dangerous forwards who can hit the scoreboard as Sydney does. And while our backline can be shakey, Sydney' key backs are no better than ours either.

We have the players to trouble them if we turn up and play our game, and dont just kick it directly to Stewart all night.

If you have actually spent time this year watching Sydney play, and i daresay you have not with that comment, then you would know Hickey has evolved since his time with us and is playing superb football. Is comfortably in the top few rucks in the league capable of giving the best a hard day out.

Meh ... Cats to kick 37.18 to break the record ... Saints to win the inside 50s but yip their way to 3.29, and set a record for concussing fans in Aisle 26 at Marvel ...

... you have to admit that setting the bar at this level increases my chances of being pleasantly surprised ... especially since I am designated driver and will be sober all game 🤔😉

What a great way to manage a talented young player. Performs very well so we drop him because we don't trust him for a big game. Dumbfounding suggestion.

I read the Riley West article as well. Amazing how how journalism effects minds so fast!

Didn't Membrey play in the backline in the last quarter??? & was important & Frawley is more your full-back, so yeah Howard at C.H.F, where he played 15 games for Port. And this is for the Round 9 Geelong game yeah. Geezuz, you make something out of nothing. Actually, Membrey has been quoted as saying that he played most of his junior years in the backline, so he has familiarity their yeah??? Oh wait!!! George needs to smirk or be negative, coz that's what he is here to do.
Not from memory and if he did it would've been to hold onto the game in the final few minutes. I highly doubt we put him in the backline down by 15 points at 3 quarter time. You may need to review the tape. Howard played 15 games at CHF according to you but clearly he is a better backman. It's just absurd to think that being down by 3 goals we move our best forward into the backline. You play players in their best positions, Membrey in a back pocket and Howard at CHF clearly are not their best positions. Having Membrey rot away in a pocket when we are going against arguably the best form side of the competition is bizarre.

I didn't make something out of anything haha. I laughed at your post, you are the one that continued by saying how "petty" I am. Disagreeing is petty apparently. And it wasn't only me.

It was just a very average opinion and with good reason you were challenged on it. Not negative just realistic.

Not from memory and if he did it would've been to hold onto the game in the final few minutes. I highly doubt we put him in the backline down by 15 points at 3 quarter time. You may need to review the tape. Howard played 15 games at CHF according to you but clearly he is a better backman. It's just absurd to think that being down by 3 goals we move our best forward into the backline. You play players in their best positions, Membrey in a back pocket and Howard at CHF clearly are not their best positions. Having Membrey rot away in a pocket when we are going against arguably the best form side of the competition is bizarre.

I didn't make something out of anything haha. I laughed at your post, you are the one that continued by saying how "petty" I am. Disagreeing is petty apparently. And it wasn't only me.

It was just a very average opinion and with good reason you were challenged on it. Not negative just realistic.
He moved back once we hit the lead again from memory but definitely was playing forward considering he hit the post.

He moved back once we hit the lead again from memory but definitely was playing forward considering he hit the post.
Yeah I thought as much. I didn't bother to look at it again, the notion that you put your best forwards in the backline down by 3 goals with a quarter to go is absurd. And almost every team will put their best marking players (usually forwards) into the backline to save games late, it's absolutely no reason to suggest that same strategy over 5 minutes of gametime is enough sample size to say it works over an entire game.

I don't really know why I'm bothering to talk about it to me it seems as obvious as saying the sky is blue.

Realistic???, moving Membrey back worked, why not? try it more often, & with the possibility of Marshall being out??? I threw up Howard as a possibility at C.H.F, because he is more mobile like Marshall, has played there & most likely a better option than McKernan. Frawley at full-back suffices. And I had likes as well, so that squashes your statement, I would of thought. So probably best for you to do nothing at all. Do you ever see any likes or dislikes on your comments from me, not likely, as I probably don't pay attention to them. And who are you to dictate who's opinion's are average???

Realistic???, moving Membrey back worked, why not? try it more often, & with the possibility of Marshall being out??? I threw up Howard as a possibility at C.H.F, because he is more mobile like Marshall, has played there & most likely a better option than McKernan. Frawley at full-back suffices. And I had likes as well, so that squashes your statement, I would of thought. So probably best for you to do nothing at all. Do you ever see any likes or dislikes on your comments from me, not likely, as I probably don't pay attention to them. And who are you to dictate who's opinion's are average???
All I've seen from you, is negativity towards other's opinions, its a fan forum, we all can have different views at times, but to dictate to people how there's should be, is just a dictatorship. So, I suggest if you don't like my comments or opinions, then just ignore them, like I do with other's. And if you want to go back through the comments, I'm almost certain that you & a few other's will be at the top of the list for discouragement & negativity.

All I've seen from you, is negativity towards other's opinions, its a fan forum, we all can have different views at times, but to dictate to people how there's should be, is just a dictatorship. So, I suggest if you don't like my comments or opinions, then just ignore them, like I do with other's. And if you want to go back through the comments, I'm almost certain that you & a few other's will be at the top of the list for discouragement & negativity.

Scottey mate God love ya.... do you realise that it appears that your fighting yourself when you reply to your own comments...i realise that its directed elsewhere but it does seem a little strange...not that i havent done stranger things! Just so long as youre sure that you do want to reply to yourself! Good luck mate! As Aussie Rules is saying it does seem a little TYLER DURDEN from fight club!

The thought of playing Membrey in defence for an entire game is quite funny.

It works in the last 5 minutes of a game because he's send down as a spare without an actual opponent and can just float into space and mark unopposed.

Him playing a whole game down there and actually having to defend is a completely different task.
Not a whole game but at the start it might give us an advantage. They won't have planned for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do you mean it worked? In the last 5 minutes trying to save the game? Why would you put him in a back pocket against a side like Geelong? In fact why would you do it against any side? It's bizarre to even suggest it. Similar to your thoughts on playing Kent in a back pocket. If you think these moves are even considered by the coaches you probably have to better your understanding of the game. Membrey will never play a full game in a back pocket in his entire career. Never.

Haha I challenge opinions that I don't agree with. I completely disagreed with your opinion and challenged you on it. It's an easy out to play the "this is a dictatorship" card - that's boring now. Respond with some actual substance like you did in your initial response where you at least explained your reasoning - which I also completely disagree with. All you've seen from me is "negativity" towards others opinions. Right. That's bullshit but even if true that's what a forum is for.

Team balance thing
Based on your side we'd have Membrey, Frawley, Howard, King, McKernan, Ryder and Carlisle. That's seven talls and Battle if you want to include him makes it eight. Where's the team balance?

Woods would go out for Ross, but the game will again be won or lost in the middle..and between the ears. I would be floating King in the back half if anything to intercept mark rather than Membrey who should be playing deep forward.

What do you mean it worked? In the last 5 minutes trying to save the game? Why would you put him in a back pocket against a side like Geelong?

He couldn’t get a touch for the whole game, he gets shifted to the back line and starts taking marks and making a difference. It worked.
Could put him back there against Geelong to get him into the game, he’s struggling as a forward and is good enough to go back.

He couldn’t get a touch for the whole game, he gets shifted to the back line and starts taking marks and making a difference. It worked.
Could put him back there against Geelong to get him into the game, he’s struggling as a forward and is good enough to go back.
Plugger would struggle with how we bring the ball into the F50

Plugger would struggle with how we bring the ball into the F50
Maybe but he’d be leading and if you burnt him you’d cop a mouthful from the big bloke very quickly.

Plugger was very vocal organising the forward set up as was riewoldt, I don’t see much talk these days across our team in general.

If you have actually spent time this year watching Sydney play, and i daresay you have not with that comment, then you would know Hickey has evolved since his time with us and is playing superb football. Is comfortably in the top few rucks in the league capable of giving the best a hard day out.
He's having a great season.

And he is still - and always will be - an inferior player to Ryder and Marshall.

Hickey is playing as well if not better than he ever did with us but it’s a small sample size compared to his overall body of work, think I might hold off on putting him in the top few rucks in the league.

Sure they smashed Richmond but they also lost to Sydney two weeks ago so no reason we cant so the same thing.

This is a team that let Hickey dominate them, and even in the best form of his life, Ryder and Marshall are better ruckman than Hickey. We have just as many good midfielders as Sydney does. We have just as many dangerous forwards who can hit the scoreboard as Sydney does. And while our backline can be shakey, Sydney' key backs are no better than ours either.

We have the players to trouble them if we turn up and play our game, and dont just kick it directly to Stewart all night.
There must be something in the water up in Sydney. Hickey has more coaches votes than any St Kilda player this year. Supporters of 3 clubs all scratching their heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back