Preview Round 9, 2022: St.Kilda v Geelong - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 14th May, 4:35PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 29 61.7%
  • Cats

Votes: 18 38.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My heart stops when he gets the ball. Got a bit of raph about him. Ive never seen the big deal about him. Leinert and highmore are clearly better players who offer more. But hey ratts fanboys club is in full swing. Here we go loop de loo
Glad you gave us examples of 2 completely different players to Paton.

My heart stops when he gets the ball. Got a bit of raph about him. Ive never seen the big deal about him. Leinert and highmore are clearly better players who offer more. But hey ratts fanboys club is in full swing. Here we go loop de loo

Totally different players.

And it's clear you don't pay attention to the finer details.

Paton has been a bit messy this year and lacked polish compared to his 2020 version but he's still doing his primary job of defending well.

Paton is a lockdown small defender. The next option for that role after him that isn't in the side is Geary. Replacing him with Leinert or Highmore creates other problems.
Webster did that job all year last year and had a very Good season, his best by far. Paton is not in form and hasn't been all year. I'd like Highmore in as he has a specific skill set our back 6 or 7 currently lack consistently.

Webster did that job all year last year and had a very Good season, his best by far. Paton is not in form and hasn't been all year. I'd like Highmore in as he has a specific skill set our back 6 or 7 currently lack consistently.

If it is the much vaunted "intercept mark" skill, I am in the "Josh Battle has that skill" camp. Last year we were opened up a few times by teams with multiple small forwards. I believe you need two of them with one able to stretch taller on a midsize if necessary. I'm also less down on Paton's year so far.

If it is the much vaunted "intercept mark" skill, I am in the "Josh Battle has that skill" camp. Last year we were opened up a few times by teams with multiple small forwards. I believe you need two of them with one able to stretch taller on a midsize if necessary. I'm also less down on Paton's year so far.
Yeah Battle has been really good this year, has been a tad inconsistent in the air, and Howard prefers to spoil even when he can get 2 hands to the ball. Highmore goes for the mark and reads it so well in the air. I see your point having 2 small defenders available.

To suggest Paton is making a few mistakes is probably fair and consistent with a player who has missed the previous year with a busted leg.

To compare him to Raph and to suggest there's no big deal with him is consistent with someone whose memory is unable to recall anything that occurred beyond the past 18 months.

Two developments I'd like to see, and with Sharman's inclusion we could be seeing that beginning to unfold. Not only do we have a tall forward structure but Long, Billings and Higgins can all mark very well overhead. Howard is beginning to take more marks, Wilkie and Battle are very good overhead, so is Lienert and Highmore. DMac can too. I want Wood to use his height to do this much more. The whole point of a tall winger is to mark from defence and to be in position to launch deep into the forward 50. He is wasting a great asset by playing predominantly as a ground ball player and won't keep his spot without taking more marks.

I want to see us as evolve into being a high marking team with smalls in position for spoils or handball receives. We can develop that style with the players we have, and those sitting in the wings, and refine it over time at Marvel in perfect conditions.

The second development, which seems radical with the way the game is played now, although I can't quite understand why, is for every Saints player to man up on every opposition player for kick-ins. Why wait for the "zone" to defend from the middle of the ground or the half back line? Why not make the player kicking in hesitate, to have to take a risk to get the ball back into play? That way it will always take a spot on kick and have a high potential for a contested play, and the ball is still in our forward 50. I know kick-ins are taken very quickly now, but not always. If the opposition gets a mark from a kick-in fine, but make them really earn it. Put them right under pressure from a "closed" set play.

Battle does but is currently a bit pre-occupied trying to learn how to defend his man.

The ability to drop off & intercept will come with more games as a defender under his belt.

Until then, I think there is merit in bringing Highmore in to play that specific role.

Paton has been a bit scrappy but he's still miles in front of where I thought he would be.

Our defensive unit is holding up much better this year though so must be doing something right. We held the Dees to about one and a half quarters where they couldn't score last week. Not many defences can claim that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two developments I'd like to see, and with Sharman's inclusion we could be seeing that beginning to unfold. Not only do we have a tall forward structure but Long, Billings and Higgins can all mark very well overhead. Howard is beginning to take more marks, Wilkie and Battle are very good overhead, so is Lienert and Highmore. DMac can too. I want Wood to use his height to do this much more. The whole point of a tall winger is to mark from defence and to be in position to launch deep into the forward 50. He is wasting a great asset by playing predominantly as a ground ball player and won't keep his spot without taking more marks.

I want to see us as evolve into being a high marking team with smalls in position for spoils or handball receives. We can develop that style with the players we have, and those sitting in the wings, and refine it over time at Marvel in perfect conditions.

The second development, which seems radical with the way the game is played now, although I can't quite understand why, is for every Saints player to man up on every opposition player for kick-ins. Why wait for the "zone" to defend from the middle of the ground or the half back line? Why not make the player kicking in hesitate, to have to take a risk to get the ball back into play? That way it will always take a spot on kick and have a high potential for a contested play, and the ball is still in our forward 50. I know kick-ins are taken very quickly now, but not always. If the opposition gets a mark from a kick-in fine, but make them really earn it. Put them right under pressure from a "closed" set play.
Man on man is far to easy to break. One blocks for another and all of a sudden that player is free. Zoning is the way to go. The ball is in the air for a fair while especially with a long kick so they can get to the ball drop. You can’t block for zones. Just doesn’t work.

Our defensive unit is holding up much better this year though so must be doing something right. We held the Dees to about one and a half quarters where they couldn't score last week. Not many defences can claim that.
The umpires will see to that this week

The floppers will be in full flight trying to get them too.
Hawkins blasting off into space and Selwood extending his lead for most free kicks in the history of the league

Totally different players.

And it's clear you don't pay attention to the finer details.

Paton has been a bit messy this year and lacked polish compared to his 2020 version but he's still doing his primary job of defending well.
Also he has just comeback from an injury. A broken leg would set anybody back.

Feels like our biggest game in years. At some point we need to fly past the likes of Geelong, we've shown we can beat them but still haven't. If we lose this it will be depressing, I hate putting too much on one game but this feels like a line in the sand moment.

The flipside is a win can set us up beautifully, 6-3 with two very winnable games to come. This is season defining.

Their midfield is old as, time to make a statement Saints.

Last edited:
What i hate about playing Geelong, is when they find a soft free kick for Hawkins in the dying minutes of the day, and then give away 50 because the spotted the Saints runner rolling his ( or her ) eyes up slightly, and he kicks the winning goal, the commentators nod their heads wisely and say " That's the Cats , always find a way to get it done ".

People have probably forgotten about this silly post i made. But i bumped it because i know i have upset at least one Cats supporter. I want to apologise for insinuating that Hawkins gets a lot of free kicks. Hawkins, in fact , gets nothing close to the main free kick receiver, Joel Selwood, who once managed 70 in a season.
This season Tom has only had 4 free kicks , and honestly it should be less that that.

Stadium erupts after this free and 50m penalty

The upset supporter was very concerned that my post may have made me look like a total moron on my own board, though i'm sure most of you reached that conclusion long ago.

People have probably forgotten about this silly post i made. But i bumped it because i know i have upset at least one Cats supporter. I want to apologise for insinuating that Hawkins gets a lot of free kicks. In fact he gets no-where near the most free kicks. Hawkins over a full season gets nothing close to the main free kick receiver Joel Selwood, who once managed 70 in a season.
This season Tom has only had 4 free kicks , and honestly it should be less that that.

Stadium erupts after this free and 50m penalty

The upset supporter was very concerned that my post may have made me look like a total moron on my own board, though i'm sure most of you reached that conclusion long ago.

The fans are as soft and floppy as their players. The umpires tried to gift them that Hawks match but they wanted them to kick the score for them as well as gift them the game. Hawkins looks like a 2 meter tall baby and acts like one.

Feels like our biggest game in years. At some point we need to fly past the likes of Geelong, we've shown we can beat them but still haven't. If we lose this it will be depressing, I hate putting too much on one game but this feels like a line in the sand moment. Their midfield is old as, time to make a statement Saints.
Hallelujah Brother!

Feels like our biggest game in years. At some point we need to fly past the likes of Geelong, we've shown we can beat them but still haven't. If we lose this it will be depressing, I hate putting too much on one game but this feels like a line in the sand moment.

The flipside is a win can set us up beautifully, 6-3 with two very winnable games to come. This is season defining.

Their midfield is old as, time to make a statement Saints.
Definitely not the time for a slow-it-down game plan.
Run them off their feet.

Definitely not the time for a slow-it-down game plan.
Run them off their feet.
If that equates to attack at all costs then absolutely I've been saying it for weeks.....its our best attribute.....I feel with the diversity up forward now, the overt plan must be move it fast and attack with as much precision as is permitted....therein lies the rub! None the less, we must be on the attack! We do it so well when we dare! I am disappointed that the Messiah is not at the table!

I suspect that RATTS is the conservative one, regarding speed and attack!. As time goes by with some damaging victories we can tinker with the formula....WTF do I know? Its all instinct with me...I'll leave it to the "intellectuals" of the forum!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back