AFLW Round 9 Discussion - 2021 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes enough of the appetisers, let's move on to the main course: the battle for the wooden spoon, the fight to not go winless. DIS IZ SPOICY! Ellie Hampson wilin' out, gotta be careful with the argey bargey when Aasta O'Connor's stray elbows are making their final appearance in an AFLW game.

Hardiman and Randall combining for just the 4 kicks was an improvement. Although it's pretty hard to get a kick when you're overrunning the footy and falling over for no reason.
So the defense that kept Freo to 2 goals less than their season average and Houghton to basically no influence is no good?

(and yes the last minute was a clown show)

A season to forget for both Geelong and Gold Coast. And though probably not enough has been made of injuries to both teams, this was a nowhere-to-hide game, and only scoring 3 goals against a fellow battler is rock bottom stuff for the Suns.

I'm hopeful that Paul Hood will get another crack at it in 2022, with a fully fit Nina Morrison in his line-up for ten games.

But even (or especially) in AFLW, the axe swings fast on the wooden spoon coach, so I'll be shocked if David Lake is back next year. Can't recall seeing a coach as rattled as he was in last week's press conference (however, he might've just been rattled by the absurd journo who kept asking how proud he must be after a 60-point loss).

So the defense that kept Freo to 2 goals less than their season average and Houghton to basically no influence is no good?
Well I've already addressed the irregularities in Fremantle's style today, without even acknowledging the set shot sitters they missed, but I can elaborate. They deliberately and foolishly played a slower hit-up game which actually helped North from getting caught out the back too often.

And most importantly, Freo were averaging +6 in I50s before today, and they were -16 this afternoon. So of course they scored less than usual. I submit the reason for such a discrepancy is Garner, Riddell, Kearney and so on.

If the Inside 50 count had been closer to 26-26, as it was for Frem-Melb last week, NM would've certainly lost as they always do when they don't dominate in the midfield.

The Crows vs Collingwood match tomorrow becomes very consequential for the Crows now. If they win, they end up top 2, potentially minor premiers if they win by enough. A loss seems them face Freo in week one of the finals (who destroyed the Crows last time around), and if they lose by too much it could even mean the Crows drop to fifth and have to travel to Perth.

Much less to play for for Collingwood, they only need to avoid a blowout to finish top two.

Who would have thought the team most dependent on outside spread would struggle on a 105m-wide ground. Good for women's footy? Ordinarily I'd say not, but it's helped the no.1 attacking team claim top spot today and I can't hate on that.

And if anybody is wondering what my previous post might be referring to, these incidents would be the starting point:

Fairly confident the Blues won't LOSE to the Giants. But I've got a stupid feeling about this game, just occurred to me we haven't had a draw yet this season. Blacktown has a knack of producing such a result, and Carlton have played a draw in a last round dead rubber before as well (2017).

History rarely repeats so neatly, though one way that is guaranteed of happening is through Darcy Vescio claiming the Vescio Medal (league leading goal-kicker). Just a question of whether she wins it by herself again or if she shares it with another player whom the game had supposedly passed by (along with Houghton and Molloy).

Jess Allan uncontested in the ruck twice, 20m out with around 3 minutes left in the match. Two thoughts:
  1. Just grab it and kick it, for god's sake!
  2. Moody off the ground at crunch time, again? I must be mistaken as that surely wouldn't happen, given she was absent for the 3 crucial centre bounces during the '90 seconds from hell' in the loss to Freo.

Benches of the Eagles-Saints were looking like a M*A*S*H unit by the end of that game. Jess Matin among the casualties late, not sure how serious her injury was though.

One of the last players to make it on a list for the 2021 season and she had a huge impact today. Lugging around a bit of a Lara Filocamo frame (what WC would have done for somebody like that at the coalface during Q2) but more of a tidy outside player. St Kilda recruited Matin because she's obviously a talented footballer, a move which has already been vindicated and perhaps will continue to pay dividends in the years ahead with a bit of luck. Worth noting, in light of the expansion debate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The nominations for Post-Match Presser Quotes of the Round.

"She's not a midfielder who gets 26, 28 possessions. If they look at that, she probably won't win. But if they say 'ok, you're a midfielder and you're surrounded by 18-year-olds most of the time and the other team are putting work into you specifically, and you still perform the way you do...' then for me it's a no-brainer. She's marvellous."
-Western Bulldogs coach Nathan Burke on Ellie Blackburn's chances of winning the League B&F

"After five years with the Blues, it's all over for those girls. They've been enormous for us. Foundation players, great leaders for our whole squad for the last five years and the time has come."
-Carlton coach Daniel Harford skirting the question of whether Alison Downie and captain Katie Loynes are retiring or if they've merely been delisted

"I said to the girls today I felt we've dealt with too much s**t."
-GWS Giants coach Allan McConnell can't say it anymore clearly

The nominations for Post-Match Presser Quotes of the Round.

"She's not a midfielder who gets 26, 28 possessions. If they look at that, she probably won't win. But if they say 'ok, you're a midfielder and you're surrounded by 18-year-olds most of the time and the other team are putting work into you specifically, and you still perform the way you do...' then for me it's a no-brainer. She's marvellous."
-Western Bulldogs coach Nathan Burke on Ellie Blackburn's chances of winning the League B&F

"After five years with the Blues, it's all over for those girls. They've been enormous for us. Foundation players, great leaders for our whole squad for the last five years and the time has come."
-Carlton coach Daniel Harford skirting the question of whether Alison Downie and captain Katie Loynes are retiring or if they've merely been delisted

"I said to the girls today I felt we've dealt with too much sh*t."
-GWS Giants coach Allan McConnell can't say it anymore clearly

Is it just me, or does Harford seem like a ******* knob

heis a knob based on what? that he paid homage to 2 of his retiring great servants of his team,i'm sure that in a couple of years time when around 5 of north's team retire you saying this about crocker will you?

It's more that he can't answer a question without being a smart campaigner

heis a knob based on what? that he paid homage to 2 of his retiring great servants of his team,i'm sure that in a couple of years time when around 5 of north's team retire you saying this about crocker will you?
I think its more accurate to describe them as being shown the door rather than retiring.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back