Preview Season 7, Round 4 v Collingwood: Sunday 18 September @ Victoria Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Yup, so far it's skewed by not having played any of the bottom teams.

In contrast just look at Brisbane - thumped Freo, GC and GWS for a percentage of 400%. On the other end of the table you've got Hawthorn and Sydney with 20% who we don't play this season. High chance we get screwed around come finals time by percentage.
How on Earth do you have a competition where you don't play each team?? Ludicrous.

Very Crows scoreline that one, long patches of dominance with little or no reward on the scoreboard, but in the end it's enough because the other team can't score against us. Mind you, Collingwood had several opportunities in that last minute! I was sure they were going to pay that mark with 15 seconds to go and turn it into a draw.

Biddell, Marinoff and McKinnon our best today, I think, probably in that order. Gould, Jones, Charlton, Thompson and Allan with good games too, Hatchard also good but still below her standard, although at least her marking is back. Randall, Martin, Ballard, Munyard, Newman and Allen good in patches. Credit to Kelly who I've not been a huge fan of, but she was having a good game until the injury, and in retrospect that goal-saving tackle may have been a game-saving tackle. Hope she can get back soon.

I was surprised to look at the stats and see Newman with 17 touches! I would have said maybe ten. Good to see her start to rack up some possession.

Simmons :( I hate to be so negative on someone who I'm sure is trying their best, but she is just not up to this level of football. The few good things she did happened by pure chance. I don't see how we can possibly justify keeping her in over Prowse, or for that matter anybody. I'd put Considine back in over her. Meanwhile Whiteley offered very little. Again, I'd happily put Prowse in her place, or even Tonon.

Last edited:
Our usage of talls is pretty strange. Gould, McKinnon and Prowse are all clearly better than players like Whiteley and Simmons but apparently we think all three are mostly rucks?

Personally I'd play McKinnon in defense over most of our other talls bar Allan/Biddell and then play Gould and Prowse as 50/50 ruck forwards.

The idea of leaving some of our really talented players out to fit in Dowrick/Whiteley/Simmons/Ward doesn't sit right with me

How on Earth do you have a competition where you don't play each team?? Ludicrous.

is it any more ludicrous than playing 5 of 17 other sides twice? Overall I reckon the AFL should be applauded for getting the AFLW up and running. There's always been bitching and moaning about minor s**t whilst the game developed to a comp featuring all teams and increasing wages. It's the end game that counts and I have rare faith that the AFL is getting there at a reasonable clip.

Our usage of talls is pretty strange. Gould, McKinnon and Prowse are all clearly better than players like Whiteley and Simmons but apparently we think all three are mostly rucks?

Personally I'd play McKinnon in defense over most of our other talls bar Allan/Biddell and then play Gould and Prowse as 50/50 ruck forwards.

The idea of leaving some of our really talented players out to fit in Dowrick/Whiteley/Simmons/Ward doesn't sit right with me

Agreed. The only thing I can think is that Clarke is actively trying to get some games into other players so we know what is sitting in the cupboard in case of emergency. But why you would choose our first four games (easily our toughest part of the fixture) to experiment is beyond me.

Particularly given our complete lack of a tall marking forward (have we ever had one?), combined with the fact that our forward line isn't functioning right now, it astounds me that we haven't given someone like Prowse a go at it. Even Simmons could have been trialled there, rather than... whatever it was she was doing today. I'm still not sure where she was supposed to be playing. Instead we seemed to be using a double-teamed Rachelle Martin as our hit-up forward for most of today :rolleyes:

When I see the likes of McKinnon or Prowse sitting on the sidelines while Simmons runs around, it just makes me worried that they'll get the hump and ask for a trade.

Couldn’t watch it live so watched the replay later on, probably was a better game to watch after knowing the result.

Again like last week against the Roos it was just really a repeat of the club’s previous encounters with each other. Pies especially when it was drier wanted that kick/mark slow build up play which invites the Crows pressure which allowed the Crows to get on top in that 1st half. Wasted opportunities and Kicking for goal was poor again and Hatchard certainly played a part as her kicking and decision making inside 50 has gotten worse season by season - probably more so as a result of how much running and effort she does just to get hold of the ball so much.

Defensive efforts are back to the team’s best, really impressed with the defensive running of all players thought that effort especially in the first 3 quarters was phenomenal. Switch of play and able to spot up targets best it’s been all season and McKinnon’s ability to take that passage saving mark certainly helped those aspects of the team’s game

Pleasing part of the game has to be the continual improvement of the younger brigade who have never previously been allowed to string games together, thought the games Ballard, Munyard and especially Newman played showed their continual improvement, feel desperately for Kelly as she was finally showing what she can do with her pace and courage she possesses and had a great 2nd quarter, can only hope she can come back this season. Also Thompson and Jones got the band back together and regained some influence on the contest that they haven’t had really this season.

Now some of the bad stuff;

Given the Pies are missing Davey, Bonnici and had Lambert come into the game on one leg the team should have smashed them around stoppages but only won the clearances by 1, I also contribute a lot of that to some ROB-esque ruck work by McKinnon and Gould.

They have to find a way to get more out of Rachelle Martin, only the 6 touches for her again. Clarke also should not escape criticism for some bizarre selection calls, Simmons selection is beyond comprehensible, I have severe doubts she can play the game at even a semi-elite level in any position let alone plonking her in defence at this level, was shown last season to be out of her depth there and had the same result on Sunday. Whiteley being recalled for Ponter also a joke of a selection, keep Prowse in or go small and give Waterhouse a go never give that untalented lug a go again. Also not sold on Ward and Button still needs to be put out of her misery, if you have Najwa Allen back on a HB flank you don’t need another slow, iffy user of the ball on the other flank.

is it any more ludicrous than playing 5 of 17 other sides twice? Overall I reckon the AFL should be applauded for getting the AFLW up and running. There's always been bitching and moaning about minor s**t whilst the game developed to a comp featuring all teams and increasing wages. It's the end game that counts and I have rare faith that the AFL is getting there at a reasonable clip.
Yes the AFLM is stupid as well, but at least you play each team! The draw the way it is for the AFLW can be unbelievably rigged. You can gift a team a finals spot just by having them not play the top teams.

I'm all for the AFLW as I see the impact it has had at local clubs and at schools. Fair to say girls footy has gone through the roof.

It just seem insane to have such a warped draw in a professional league.

As for the AFL getting it right. I fear that as it becomes more successful, it will be influenced more and more by the old VFL. I already heard a news report about the 'traditional' Dreamtime game being played this weekend in the AFLW. Spare me.

Yes the AFLM is stupid as well, but at least you play each team! The draw the way it is for the AFLW can be unbelievably rigged. You can gift a team a finals spot just by having them not play the top teams.

I'm all for the AFLW as I see the impact it has had at local clubs and at schools. Fair to say girls footy has gone through the roof.

It just seem insane to have such a warped draw in a professional league.

As for the AFL getting it right. I fear that as it becomes more successful, it will be influenced more and more by the old VFL. I already heard a news report about the 'traditional' Dreamtime game being played this weekend in the AFLW. Spare me.
The issue the AFLW will have if they rig the draw too much is the crap teams will get absolutely destroyed in finals which is what happened during the conference era when we faced Carlton in the GF

The issue the AFLW will have if they rig the draw too much is the crap teams will get absolutely destroyed in finals which is what happened during the conference era when we faced Carlton in the GF

Carlton comprehensively beat Freo to make that GF so they deserved to be there.

The problematic match was us vs Geelong a week earlier, where the score was 67-0 with only a few minutes left to play before Geelong got a pity free kick to score their only goal. Meanwhile North Melbourne and Melbourne both missed out despite being twice as good.

Perhaps I was unkind to Hatchard saying she was down on her form, she scored a perfect 10 in the coaches votes! I guess 26 touches, 10 matks and 4 tackles is hard to argue with. Just a shame she scored 0.3.

10 Anne Hatchard (ADEL)
8 Ebony Marinoff (ADEL)
3 Hannah Munyard (ADEL)
3 Chelsea Biddell (ADEL)
2 Sabrina Frederick (COLL)
2 Stacey Livingstone (COLL)
1 Mikala Cann (COLL)
1 Stevie-Lee Thompson (ADEL)

So that's consensus on the top 2, and complete disagreement on the rest.

Munyard with 3 votes seems strange to me. Did she do a job I wasn't aware of? It's enough to make me wonder if Steve Symonds got her confused with someone else.

I'm going to guess that Clarke gave:

5 Hatchard
4 Marinoff
3 Biddell
2 Frederick
1 Thompson

And Symonds gave:

5 Hatchard
4 Marinoff
3 Munyard
2 Livingstone
1 Cann

I'm surprised McKinnon didn't make it in. I also can't believe that anyone could watch that match and not have Biddell in their top 5. Maybe that's who Symonds confused Munyard with?

Perhaps I was unkind to Hatchard saying she was down on her form, she scored a perfect 10 in the coaches votes! I guess 26 touches, 10 matks and 4 tackles is hard to argue with. Just a shame she scored 0.3.

10 Anne Hatchard (ADEL)
8 Ebony Marinoff (ADEL)
3 Hannah Munyard (ADEL)
3 Chelsea Biddell (ADEL)
2 Sabrina Frederick (COLL)
2 Stacey Livingstone (COLL)
1 Mikala Cann (COLL)
1 Stevie-Lee Thompson (ADEL)

So that's consensus on the top 2, and complete disagreement on the rest.

Munyard with 3 votes seems strange to me. Did she do a job I wasn't aware of? It's enough to make me wonder if Steve Symonds got her confused with someone else.

I'm going to guess that Clarke gave:

5 Hatchard
4 Marinoff
3 Biddell
2 Frederick
1 Thompson

And Symonds gave:

5 Hatchard
4 Marinoff
3 Munyard
2 Livingstone
1 Cann

I'm surprised McKinnon didn't make it in. I also can't believe that anyone could watch that match and not have Biddell in their top 5. Maybe that's who Symonds confused Munyard with?
I had Munyard as playing a pretty good game but it would not surprise me as like all the commentators who call the game they got her and Newman confused for the same player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very Crows scoreline that one, long patches of dominance with little or no reward on the scoreboard, but in the end it's enough because the other team can't score against us. Mind you, Collingwood had several opportunities in that last minute! I was sure they were going to pay that mark with 15 seconds to go and turn it into a draw.

Biddell, Marinoff and McKinnon our best today, I think, probably in that order. Gould, Jones, Charlton, Thompson and Allan with good games too, Hatchard also good but still below her standard, although at least her marking is back. Randall, Martin, Ballard, Munyard, Newman and Allen good in patches. Credit to Kelly who I've not been a huge fan of, but she was having a good game until the injury, and in retrospect that goal-saving tackle may have been a game-saving tackle. Hope she can get back soon.

I was surprised to look at the stats and see Newman with 17 touches! I would have said maybe ten. Good to see her start to rack up some possession.

Simmons :( I hate to be so negative on someone who I'm sure is trying their best, but she is just not up to this level of football. The few good things she did happened by pure chance. I don't see how we can possibly justify keeping her in over Prowse, or for that matter anybody. I'd put Considine back in over her. Meanwhile Whiteley offered very little. Again, I'd happily put Prowse in her place, or even Tonon.

Re: Ballard. I think I’ve seen enough to think she is a very smart footballer and a good user. Once or twice she should have been used more by team mates including a time Marinoff was about to get tackled and kicked into the 50, but should have hand passed to Ballard.
Would like to see her used more in delivering to forwards. In a year or 2 she could be a very damaging player, IMO.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back