Preview SEASON OPENER - Sydney Swans versus Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I'm interested to see how we go early on in the season. There was lots of "We know we need to move in quicker through the middle" talk and I'm very much hoping the players have been given license to take the game on. Jones looked good working through the middle in the pre-season and I felt it gave us a much pacier attack through there. Cunningham has really hit his straps and is breaking the line more, Florent has a lot of upside and I think Clarke could be a solid gut running player for us. I really want to see us play on a lot more, run and carry and get some flow into our ball movement.

I just hope that a bad quarter of game doesn’t mean we go back to the boring safe gameplan that won’t work.

can't believe they couldn't find a spot for Ronke. He's fully fit, right? I thought I might have read that he's coming back from a shoulder injury, but I cant find mention of it.

Can get Ronke missing he’s had an injury and was poor last week.

I’d have rather played Thurlow among others though

Can get Ronke missing he’s had an injury and was poor last week.

I’d have rather played Thurlow among others though

I really thought Thurlow was a starter but the only player you'd probably switch out for him is McVeigh. I still think McVeigh is a class player but I'd say Thurlow is there to pass the baton to if Mcveigh's lack of pace becomes a liability.

I really thought Thurlow was a starter but the only player you'd probably switch out for him is McVeigh. I still think McVeigh is a class player but I'd say Thurlow is there to pass the baton to if Mcveigh's lack of pace becomes a liability.

I’d have dropped McVeigh no questions asked. If you can drop Ronke you can drop McVeigh

I’d have dropped McVeigh no questions asked. If you can drop Ronke you can drop McVeigh
I wouldn't be so quick. McVeigh is still one of our most accurate kicks and he's pretty good at picking the right option off half back. He's also a field general and that in itself adds value.

Ronke still has a lot of development to be a regular player in my opinion. He's feasted off that 7 goal haul against the hawks and he definitely brings pace and defensive pressure but he really tapered off towards the end of last year and I still feel he's a work in progress.

With menzel out and papley looks like playing more midfield, i would have like to see ronke get named. Reid hasnt played in 12 months...buddy is underdone,blakey is in his first game. Even if ronke is out of form , he can still apply pressure and can alleviate some demand on reid and buddy

I was actually quite impressed with thurlow during jlt..sure he isnt a match winner but he did his job

I wouldn't be so quick. McVeigh is still one of our most accurate kicks and he's pretty good at picking the right option off half back. He's also a field general and that in itself adds value.

Ronke still has a lot of development to be a regular player in my opinion. He's feasted off that 7 goal haul against the hawks and he definitely brings pace and defensive pressure but he really tapered off towards the end of last year and I still feel he's a work in progress.

I probably wouldn’t have played Ronke but Thurlow on form is a bad call. Was close to our best defender all pre season. McVeigh does have some good things but he has the turning circle of a cement truck still. Not as if Thurlow is a bad kick anyway. We playing him because he can point are we?

I probably wouldn’t have played Ronke but Thurlow on form is a bad call. Was close to our best defender all pre season. McVeigh does have some good things but he has the turning circle of a cement truck still. Not as if Thurlow is a bad kick anyway. We playing him because he can point are we?

Given the changes to runners, “team pointers” (on field coaches/organisers) may become more important than ever.

Given the changes to runners, “team pointers” (on field coaches/organisers) may become more important than ever.

Get the captain to do it. I’d rather play the best players on form. Leaving aside leadership is McVeigh in form at all? I question that straight out

Get the captain to do it. I’d rather play the best players on form. Leaving aside leadership is McVeigh in form at all? I question that straight out

We only have the JLT to go off and he got 16 disposals with 6 r50 in probably managed gametime given it was his first hit out for 2019.

Thurlow, COR and McVeigh form wise is probably the toss of a coin with McVeighs experience and leadership getting him over the line.

We only have the JLT to go off and he got 16 disposals with 6 r50 in probably managed gametime given it was his first hit out for 2019.

Thurlow, COR and McVeigh form wise is probably the toss of a coin with McVeighs experience and leadership getting him over the line.

I disagree but I see your point. Don’t feel McVeigh is in form at all and the worst thing is Horse won’t even think about dropping him on form

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's an away interstate game where most other teams in the competition would be the underdogs, yet we'll go into the game as the team to beat even though the experts like Terry Wallace have us not going too far.
That's always a good sign, as is the inability to fit in some pretty handy players like Thurlow etc.

Thurlow was okay in the last jlt but before that was poor. Both he and ronke need a run of sustained form in the neafl

Excited to see Dawson, Blakey and Melican named.

Suspect Melican might still be a bit rusty though so will be interesting to see how he goes.

Congratulations to JPK and Ana on their new bouncing baby girl. Usually our new dads have a bit of a shocker first few games, tell me I’m not the only one who’s noticed that?

Why do we need to play a tall? We are as slow as a cement truck...can’t we play a guy with foot speed!
Interesting to see that McInerney is amongst the emergencies. A kid with line breaking run and carry is being given experience around the seniors. He has a way to go yet in maturity but is being developed as well after two JLT runs. Nothing happens overnight.

Interesting to see that McInerney is amongst the emergencies. A kid with line breaking run and carry is being given experience around the seniors. He has a way to go yet in maturity but is being developed as well after two JLT runs. Nothing happens overnight.

Another one I’d have rather played over McVeigh and if Jack waltzes in over these types I’m not going to be happy.

McVeigh finished top ten in last year's Skilton. Obviously the coaches don't agree with you.

In a side that let’s be frank for a second barely scored 8-10 goals a game and was in the bottom 6 sides (on form) in the last 2 months. Let’s not pretend we were some great side last year.

Happy to give the coaches a go (especially early on in the year) but I do feel we need to use this year a bit to get some speed in our side. We are still so slow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back