Preview SEASON OPENER - Sydney Swans versus Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry should've referred to the article.

I think even two is pushing it. 29 year old rucks should not be anything more than a year-at-a-time consideration. I would also prefer we wait and see how Sinclair actually performs this year. We can't know whether his 2018 season was his peak and he won't reach those heights again, or if it was just a fluke season.

Our ruck situation is so dire though you almost have to laugh[/QUOTE]

No need to panic Allir Allir could be the next Graeme Teasdale. Charlie and All.

Not gonna lie I don't know who that is but if Charlie is involved, I'll take your word for it!

Graeme Teasdale was a Full Forward we picked up from Richmond and in 1977 he played as undersized ruckman with a magnificent leap who was a dead set marking machine that year playing one of the best seasons of football I have seen by a South Melbourne Player earning him the Brownlow that year. Got alot of injuries after that and was flogged off to Collingwood where he was a shadow of the player he was at South. If AA had half as good a year as his in 77 we would be well pleased. Comment was firmly tongue in cheek however.

Sorry should've referred to the article.

I think even two is pushing it. 29 year old rucks should not be anything more than a year-at-a-time consideration. I would also prefer we wait and see how Sinclair actually performs this year. We can't know whether his 2018 season was his peak and he won't reach those heights again, or if it was just a fluke season.

Our ruck situation is so dire though you almost have to laugh
Totally agree on ruck stocks. To be fair Sinclair had to ruck and push forward when there were no tall options up forward. 2 years is fair,while we sort out our options. Got a feeling that Aliir is being groomed for this position as he has the athleticism , could be the next Nic Nat. Just needs to bulk up !

Graeme Teasdale was a Full Forward we picked up from Richmond and in 1977 he played as undersized ruckman with a magnificent leap who was a dead set marking machine that year playing one of the best seasons of football I have seen by a South Melbourne Player earning him the Brownlow that year. Got alot of injuries after that and was flogged off to Collingwood where he was a shadow of the player he was at South. If AA had half as good a year as his in 77 we would be well pleased. Comment was firmly tongue in cheek however.
After Peter Bedford's number 11, I had the number 20 on my back as a kid because of Teaser & the way he played as a ruckman. An absolute dominant season as a ruckman as you said WW.

That would be great! Plan B does exist but it has been sitting on a shelf in Horses office for years. Compiled by previous assistant coaches etc. We need a team meeting to get all players to come together and blow off the dust!

We could have used Plan B the morning after the 2016 GF when the umps #@$*ed us.
1553244393848.png

If the coaches have pulled Aliir aside & told him how much we need him to play a dominant ruck roving type role & he gets it, then his improvement can be off the charts & very difficult to coach against, as Goodesy was. I'm looking forward most to seeing more emerging players when given a chance.

We always discover a few. Ronke last year, Paps a few years before & now hopefully Clarke can take ownership of the midfield & give us supporters the double where we have a new gun midfielder while shoving it up North supporters at the same time.
Let's not panic until we are 1 & 5 after six rounds.

The daughters will win this week.

Reiwoldt has daughter Poppy - Richmond win.
Hawkins has a daughter Primrose - Geelong win
JPK and Ana had a daughter Isabella on 15th - so Swans will win ;)

Got a feeling that Aliir is being groomed for this position as he has the athleticism , could be the next Nic Nat. Just needs to bulk up !

2A would need to not just bulk up but grow about 8-10cm. I'm worried the first nasty ruck he faces will run through him or tunnel him causing a grievous injury. I did not mind (and admired) Deano having a run at the ruck. We stopped rucking Goodesy because of the injury risk and really think we should be conservative and preserve our best defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry to intrude - does anyone know if Papley will play midfield again like he did in the last JLT game? Or is Jones playing inside mid?

Sorry to intrude - does anyone know if Papley will play midfield again like he did in the last JLT game? Or is Jones playing inside mid?
With no other small forward on the team list I would lean toward him playing mostly forward today - though it may switch around a bit depending on the game and if we are getting done in the middle. Risky SC pick. On the other hand he looks ready to go after his first proper preseason and should have a great year. Will score more than his price for sure.

membership ticket - tick
pre game counter tea organised - tick
oiling of throat, see above - tick
Thermos found for Irish Coffees - tick
spare nicotine patch for use in emergency - tick

I'm now getting very excited. Looking forward to a noisy large Bloods turn up.

The thing about our 22 which is most interesting for me is how the Aliir/Sinclair ruck combo influences the defence.

We always play 7 defenders every game. Our back 6 at the moment is named as:

Mills - Rampe - Grundy
McVeigh - Melican - Lloyd

And Aliir is named in the ruck. I'm not buying Aliir will play there though. It makes some superificial sense because then Sinclair can play forward but we've already got Franklin, Reid and Blakey there so I don't think it's needed.

I think that Mills will play pretty much the whole game in defence and that Aliir will play almost completely in defence, maybe 5 mins each quarter in the ruck. Particularly without either of Thurlow or O'Riordan in the side, we'll need both of them as defenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back