So, how did we do in the Draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought we did well this year, basically gave up nothing to get Yeo and drafted the guy we always wanted :thumbsu:

The issue is whether the guy we wanted was the smart choice. We won't know for a while. But Scharenberg & Aish were available at 6 ..... They both have a chance to be elite players.... If they end up at that level and Sheed doesn't then we blew it.

At this stage the jury remains out - we didn't give up nothing - we gave up a choice between Sheed and those 2 guys.

Lol, looks like they stuck Sheed's head on Hill's body.

newdrafteeshero.jpg

First time in a long time skills & decision making have been the key factor in determining draftees rather than athletic ability.( Hawthorn been the blue print)
Finally the penny has dropped, drafting the best athletes doesn't win you games .(apologies to Nic Nat).

I'll give it a diplomatic 7/10.

Weak draft and we covered most positional bases that needed to be covered. Midfield depth, small forward, outside midfielder/ utility and key defender.

8/10 when i consider the other changes. With Ellis (free), Yeo (pick 28), plus our three rookie upgrades. Which i rate to differing degrees. Throw in the almost certain retention of a very talented Newman on the rookie list and we've had a good off season considering we've turned over nine players from our senior list.
This^^, Nail on the head and all that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they have done as well as can be expected given the picks they had available. Sheed will be a good fit in the midfield & will probably play Round 1. Karpany is an exciting prospect & will also play AFL next year. I think Taylor would have been taken if he was still there at pick 31 but Karpany will not disappoint.

Barrass fills a key need in defence given that Glass is possibly playing his last year, I don't know much about Main but obviously the Eagles recruiting team have watched him closely during the year.

Coupled with the recruitment of Yeo & to a lesser extent, Ellis, I think the Eagles can be satisfied with their work.

First time in a long time skills & decision making have been the key factor in determining draftees rather than athletic ability.( Hawthorn been the blue print)
Finally the penny has dropped, drafting the best athletes doesn't win you games .(except Nic Nat).
EFA Lucky Luc :D.
I agree with the sentiment, have been preaching it for years, footballers win you games of football. Choirboys win you choral competitions and athletes win you track meets. ;)

Really have very little to complain about with this draft and trade period. Got players in with footskills, pace, covering deficiencies in the line-up. Mix of WA and non-local talent. Good feeling about direction at the moment.

Really have very little to complain about with this draft and trade period. Got players in with footskills, pace, covering deficiencies in the line-up. Mix of WA and non-local talent. Good feeling about direction at the moment.

A refreshingly positive outlook :thumbsu: I know Marsh has a lot of doubters on this board, but personally I think he was worth the risk despite his perceived lack of disposal efficiency. If I ignore that gut instinct on the Marsh front, I'd agree that taken together, the draft and trade periods have given us something to be excited about. Can't wait to see Sheed, Yeo and Ellis run out round 1 (fingers crossed!)

A refreshingly positive outlook :thumbsu: I know Marsh has a lot of doubters on this board, but personally I think he was worth the risk despite his perceived lack of disposal efficiency. If I ignore that gut instinct on the Marsh front, I'd agree that taken together, the draft and trade periods have given us something to be excited about. Can't wait to see Sheed, Yeo and Ellis run out round 1 (fingers crossed!)

I'm just hoping that we see a little bit of effort and enthusiasm in the nab cup (unlike last year) and that this is the form guide used to pick the team for Round 1. No more selections based on what some "stars" (eg Butler) did in 2006 or picking players who are injured/underdone - everybody comes back through the 2's and proves they are ready (think Shuey, NicNat last year).
If we do this I really think we will hit top 4 in 2014.
IMO

I'm just hoping that we see a little bit of effort and enthusiasm in the nab cup (unlike last year) and that this is the form guide used to pick the team for Round 1. No more selections based on what some "stars" (eg Butler) did in 2006 or picking players who are injured/underdone - everybody comes back through the 2's and proves they are ready (think Shuey, NicNat last year).
IMO
I must preface, Woosh is an absolute legend, but I think with Simpson there won't be that 'boys club' mentality.

IMO

I know its only NAB cup but our NAB cup set a pretty poor tone last year. That goal to Selwood in the first game one the siren after they came from 30pts behind was a joke. They needed a nine-pointer and the Cats player was looking to handball from the moment he marked and not one player tried was awake to this. It was almost like we wanted them to win. Once again, I know its only NAB cup but good sides want to win no matter what, which is why the Cats kept trying despite being dead in the water in a NAB game.

Sadly, I think we went into last year thinking we were good enough and top 4 would just happen. That is both the coaches and the players. Then injuries hit, we had some unlucky loses and the season is shot. Hopefully a new coach will put the pressure back on the players from day 1.

OK overall...not brilliant, but also not terrible.

Sheed is definite AFL, the question is just how good, and quietly confident about Karpany becoming a good player for us. I don't expect much from the others, but hope I'm wrong (although have never seen Powell play, so I'll reserve judgement on him).

The thing about watching highlight packages is everyone looks good . We dont see enough colts games to have a clue .
2 years ago I saw blaine wilson and jeremy mcgovern play blinders against essondon and freo in that preseason cup that gave an indication that our depth was good . Mark lecra , nikoski and kennedy all were injured yet we did very well in 2012 , 2012 the whole team performed well , by the end of the season we were flag favourites for next year . 2013 started with a horror goal kicking conversion and despite dominating games the goal kicking became a Hoodoo mental wall the team never got over , the confidence broke and the team deflated .. I always believed the grand finals we played in 2005 and 2006 the players played out of their skins ( beyond natural abilities ) for woosha , apart from Judd who was in his prime . St Kilda and Adelaide were the top 2 teams both those years .

Who can say what next year will bring , With a fit Natnui and midfield , kennedy, darling , lecra to recieve the domination of Nic Nat who knows , the confidence could return and everyone looks and plays better . Then this draft will look better because they can develop in a successful side .. you just have to look at Melbourne to see good young players drafted in a poor side dont flourish or look like they have flourished ...

Having said all this . I am positive about this years draft selections and only the future will prove if it was a good draft ... It has a good feel about it to me .

Surely now you can throw us a bone, did we get who we wanted?

I wonder mostly because of the fact we had a brief chat before selecting Karpany, usually that's the case when a higher profile draftee is still available, not when the selection is someone from the more obscure side.

And while I'm at it, was passing on Sheed ever a realistic consideration?

If they were thinking of Cameron Giles and Barrass but Karpany was still available I think that

CAMERON GILES ( 195 cm defender , elite runner , played half back and picked up 26 possessions rebounding in the grand final that Karpany won the medal for ) .. He must have been in Our recruiters minds at pick 31 . Carlton snapped up Giles with their pick 36 before us . Hence Barrass was our next pick .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back