Analysis Stadium deals - what, how, when - why we need a new one and the SA footy paradigm shift happening

Remove this Banner Ad

I wrote this on page 57

Rann told Demetriou in 2007 - you will never get these people to do a deal, they won't even talk to each other. But if you do then come back and talk to me about money. That's why it wasn't a proper deal from the start of the whole process. It was always a compromised deal unlike WA (and Brisbane and Carrara and Sydney Showgrounds).

End of the day the government should own the sanfl and all the comps in this state.

As soon as the government gave up tax payers funded money the should of had all rights to the stadium and the saca and sanfl should have no say, its our state not there's but that's just me hating how weak politicians are and governments in general.

Perfect world stuff and all i know :(

I like the old bourbon in the apple juice bottle trick.

I am of the opinion quite a few football supporters drink apple juice on game day.
Or grape juice, depending on your preference.
Both are healthy options and are produced in South Australia I believe..

The SMA can’t run a monopoly stadium, what hope do they have running a hotel in a competitive market? It really is past time the management of AO was handled by an independent outfit not corrupted by pissant agendas.

The SMA can’t run a monopoly stadium, what hope do they have running a hotel in a competitive market? It really is past time the management of AO was handled by an independent outfit not corrupted by pissant agendas.
The Hotel thing is absurd I can't take these ppl seriously.

I wrote this on page 57

Rann told Demetriou in 2007 - you will never get these people to do a deal, they won't even talk to each other. But if you do then come back and talk to me about money. That's why it wasn't a proper deal from the start of the whole process. It was always a compromised deal unlike WA (and Brisbane and Carrara and Sydney Showgrounds).

REH do you know off hand when the current deal expires?

This is absolutely ludicrous, the price of going to the footy is getting over the top, especially for a family, and without kids growing up going to games there isn't much future for the live game.

Everyone needs to totally boycott buying anything from this mob of sharks, do the local businesses a favour and have a couple of drinks and/or a meal before or after or grab maccas for the kids on the way and eat it there. Screw them completely, (could probably even have a bourbon and Macca's coke) then watch the prices come down.

Or maybe they will then just ban outside drinks and food!!

It's funny, whilst I think the MCG is at Shaun Burgoyne levels of over ratedness, it does have an almost complete reverence among the Victorian population. It is almost a holy institution, it markets itself as "The Peoples Ground". Rarely, if ever would you find a Malbunite utter a bad thing about it. It is an institution and it appears they work hard to keep it as such. The Victorian Government also firmly understands its place and does what it can to keep it as the doyen of the city/state/country.

Compare this to what the Adelaide Oval is fast becoming. The Adelaide Oval has always been revered in Adelaide. A beautiful ground in a great location. The redevelopment invigorated the city as well as the AFL clubs. After a great start, the sheen is starting to wear off. The governance of the Oval, particularly the SANFL/SMA thirst for more and more money is really starting to sour the goodwill people had for the place. The price gouging of patrons, the destruction of the GDV, the poor return the clubs get for putting on the show is now coming home to roost. Make no mistake this is all the SANFL's doing. The SACA are swimming in money and are just being taken along for the ride. The SA Government has to step in here, before the Golden Goose gets it in the neck. The backlash is already starting.....

There is a 20 year lease. The deal is reviewed ever 3 years, first one after 2014 season went so well not for 2 AFL clubs, covered 2015-17 seasons this one 2018-2020 seasons.

It’s a bit like politics, if the two major parties worked together on key items like health, education etc.... what a much better system we’d have.

If the Gov laid the law of the land that the two AFL clubs are the most important assets here in winter, they need to make money - keeping them strong makes it all strong.

Nahhhh let’s all grab as much as we can and bleed it all dry...

South Australia.

The SANFL (administration/club’s) ran two AFL clubs and a tired old stadium into the ground, and get bailed out by the taxpayer to the tune of a half a billion dollars with a brand new city stadium, and they’re doing it again.
The SANFL and it’s clubs are essentially a corporate oligarchy. They will continue to bleed the public and their two major assets dry for the sake of propping up a competition that does no actual work itself to remain sustainable.
As it was at West Lakes the stadium deal is the key. As long as we comtinue to serve primarily as a cash cow to fund a feeder competition we have no chance of thriving or even surviving in the long or short term. The SANFL was handed a public asset that they continue to abuse, and they point the finger of blame elsewhere for its own failure to make money.

“We’ve taken a half a billion dollars of your money, and now we’re going to slug you even more every time you want something to eat and drink”. Lol where have we seen this before...
I could even accept a situation where they act as landlord, like the WA model. At least we’d have some sort of fighting chance. As it stands we don’t. If the 2 AFL clubs and the SANFL clubs were all given a clean slate and told “we’re giving you 5 years. Whatever money you can generate you can keep”, I know which ones would still be around after 5 years and which would be sitting in the gutter begging for change.

The price gouging of patrons, the destruction of the GDV

I would have less of an issue with the former, if they hadn't succeeded in the latter.

The idiocy of it all is the GDV was a drawcard, regardless of where the $$ flowed to, it brought people to the game and not just our own supporters. It was a way of bringing that old school suburban football culture to a pristine new city stadium. It worked, not just for us, but for the whole damn culture of football in this state.

We have an unfortunate situation in SA where the people in charge, have an almost universal inability to see the greater benefits beyond their own personal bank balances and agendas. If a single dollar doesn't go to the likes of Peter Hurley, then he will snivel and snipe to rectify that situation in his favour.

The GDV was the start of Port building it's football experience and it went hand in hand with NTUA etc. It gave us something no one else had and removing it has made everything else feel a little hollow. "They" knew it, which is why they attacked it.

"We will never, ever give up!"*

*unless Hurley Group threatens us with legal action over a liquor licensing dispute.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have an unfortunate situation in SA where the people in charge, have an almost universal inability to see the greater benefits beyond their own personal bank balances and agendas. If a single dollar doesn't go to the likes of Peter Hurley, then he will snivel and snipe to rectify that situation in his favour.

You’ve just summed up the ideology behind monopoly power in every example you can think of in history. Except for the fact they can see the benefits, they simply want nothing to do with them.

The SMA/SANFL wins the information battle by positioning and painting itself as the champion of the grassroots, fighting the good fight against the money hungry interlopers and their interests from over the border. This is of course backed to the hilt by their well trained army of media propagandists. * them all.

I would have less of an issue with the former, if they hadn't succeeded in the latter.

The idiocy of it all is the GDV was a drawcard, regardless of where the $$ flowed to, it brought people to the game and not just our own supporters. It was a way of bringing that old school suburban football culture to a pristine new city stadium. It worked, not just for us, but for the whole damn culture of football in this state.

The GDV was the start of Port building it's football experience and it went hand in hand with NTUA etc. It gave us something no one else had and removing it has made everything else feel a little hollow. "They" knew it, which is why they attacked it.

"We will never, ever give up!"*

*unless Hurley Group threatens us with legal action over a liquor licensing dispute.

The loss of the GDV was a massive disappointment. It's symbolic of our demise. And the start of the club thinking it needs too come up with gimmicks to keep the fans engaged.

The loss of the GDV was a massive disappointment. It's symbolic of our demise. And the start of the club thinking it needs too come up with gimmicks to keep the fans engaged.
My first thought was that I bet the prices wouldnt be going up if the GDV was still there.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

South Australia.

The SANFL (administration/club’s) ran two AFL clubs and a tired old stadium into the ground, and get bailed out by the taxpayer to the tune of a half a billion dollars with a brand new city stadium, and they’re doing it again.
The SANFL and it’s clubs are essentially a corporate oligarchy. They will continue to bleed the public and their two major assets dry for the sake of propping up a competition that does no actual work itself to remain sustainable.
As it was at West Lakes the stadium deal is the key. As long as we comtinue to serve primarily as a cash cow to fund a feeder competition we have no chance of thriving or even surviving in the long or short term. The SANFL was handed a public asset that they continue to abuse, and they point the finger of blame elsewhere for its own failure to make money.

“We’ve taken a half a billion dollars of your money, and now we’re going to slug you even more every time you want something to eat and drink”. Lol where have we seen this before...
I could even accept a situation where they act as landlord, like the WA model. At least we’d have some sort of fighting chance. As it stands we don’t. If the 2 AFL clubs and the SANFL clubs were all given a clean slate and told “we’re giving you 5 years. Whatever money you can generate you can keep”, I know which ones would still be around after 5 years and which would be sitting in the gutter begging for change.

SANFL sells AAMI Stadium at West Lakes for $71m for residential housing development......

I just don't get why we need to pay them a red cent, surely that's pelnty of dough invested well to prop up a local league from that 71 Million.

Its starting to feel like it was before AO and it concerns me - it's so SA inbred old Adelaide mentality, yet no politician does anything........

I don't care if prices go up. Have not bought a beer at AO since the GDV was force to close for reasons.

The only food I buy is beyond India for my daughter. I take a thermos of coffee and my own food. This is my protest, Frakk em.

They really didn't understand how much pregame gdv beers lubricated the hinges on my wallet.

How much are the hotdogs going to be now anyway?

We would be well served getting Andrew Daniels (head of SMA) to get on our board. Knows how to operate and make $
Right now I would not want anyone invested in SA-specific sports establishment added to our club in any capacity as they will be thinking about their next move in their decision making for the PAFC. This class of person is the least likely to make waves when its needed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back