News Steve Hocking new CEO

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s an amazing rise up to the CEO. Ten years ago Steve wasn’t even the footy director, Balme was. Am not sure what he was doing then. And he didn’t do so well in the commercial manager role. I heard six years ago though,that he was going to be the CEO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I agree with all but what does the second one mean? Does it mean bad clubs like North Melb don’t pay the same wages as good clubs so they can get a war chest built up to bring more stars?
The soft cap is about the staff, it was reduced during covid last year. The decrease has meant cuts to mainly recruiting and medical staff. I don’t think increasing it will necessarily benefit one club more than others.

I still haven't forgiven him for letting a half dead Brereton kick two goals on him in the first quarter of the '89 gf. That hapless look on his face as Dermie did nothing more than stand there and outmark him twice and kick goals.

You're being too hard on him. Give him some kudos for breaking Leigh Matthews' nose as the square up for Neville Bruns in 1985. He's still got a lot of credit in the bank for that one.

QUOTE="Gordon Farkas, post: 70921933, member: 202115"]
You're being too hard on him. Give him some kudos for breaking Leigh Matthews' nose as the square up for Neville Bruns in 1985. He's still got a lot of credit in the bank for that one.
[/QUOTE]
He played part of that 1989 GF with a crushed testicle, no wonder he looked a bit "hapless" against Brereton

Last edited:
What the hell is wrong with Richmond supporters, theyre beyond melting, they are sounding like Qanon
Yep. Its a massive barrel of VB over there. One extract

"What a decrepit pile of human sheet S.hocking is.
The afl has no professionalism whatsoever allowing him to blatantly change the game due to his hatred of another club, and then allow him to become ceo of his former club."

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

HockAnon

But yeah, they're going out of their way to generate a persecution narrative for their teams failure in the early part of this season rather than, you know, the huge and debilitating injury list early in the season killing momentum and morale.
And also Hardwick who 'allegedly' cheated on his wife and created a division between himself and the Captain.

It’s an amazing rise up to the CEO. Ten years ago Steve wasn’t even the footy director, Balme was. Am not sure what he was doing then. And he didn’t do so well in the commercial manager role. I heard six years ago though,that he was going to be the CEO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I remember hearing that too, and then was surprised that he left for the role at HQ.

And also Hardwick who 'allegedly' cheated on his wife and created a division between himself and the Captain.
Yeah might be a bit of that but that's a bit tabloid for me. I think the early injury list alone is more than enough throw out a normal sides season but we were giving them more credit because they've come back against all odds before.

The odds were bad again this time and they hit the wall. After 4 years of a game style that relies on pure gut running and the shortest preseason ever they just hit the wall. Further explanation is not required.

Yeah might be a bit of that but that's a bit tabloid for me. I think the early injury list alone is more than enough throw out a normal sides season but we were giving them more credit because they've come back against all odds before.

The odds were bad again this time and they hit the wall. After 4 years of a game style that relies on pure gut running and the shortest preseason ever they just hit the wall. Further explanation is not required.
Maybe they aren't running as hard as they could because they are unhappy?

I'm not sure that Richmond do more sprints or more kms per game than any other team, so I don't think it's to do with fitness. Injuries, sure, that play a big part.

It is hard to see how it couldn't be a big factor.

Mrs Hardwick was a part of club culture.

It has hurt them no doubt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure that Richmond do more sprints or more kms per game than any other team, so I don't think it's to do with fitness. Injuries, sure, that play a big part.
Their game relies on pressure. But their tackle and pressure stats have dropped through the floor. History has shown teams can only sustain that manic style for so long. Freo etc.

Teams have found ways to beat their game style too. And also the injuries have been bad as you said.

Yeah I think it's more about knowing when to run where and moving as a group. Amazing when you pull it off but you are exposed when the coordination is off or you have an undroppable senior player just not able to run anymore or a junior player getting cooked early in matches

That in itself is not the damaging part though. The damaging part is where it doesn't come off and a player or two drop their heads and suddenly none of your structures work. How many times do you run to a set attacking position as coached only to look back and see defensive holes where others haven't run before you stop trusting that a set play will be executed? Would you be happy about it? How long until you just try to guard your direct opponent a bit and run only when it's on your terms?

Occam's razor. Simpler explanations exist.
Well. Its not a one or the other situation.

There are multiple reasons for the form slip, and to discount the damage done by Hardwick would be a mistake.

The Hardwicks and Cotchins were very close for a start.

That's a wedge between coach and captain.

Potentially very harmful, and I bet a contributing factor.

Well. Its not a one or the other situation.

There are multiple reasons for the form slip, and to discount the damage done by Hardwick would be a mistake.

The Hardwicks and Cotchins were very close for a start.

That's a wedge between coach and captain.

Potentially very harmful, and I bet a contributing factor.
Yeah I mean I won't discount it entirely, but I wouldn't put more than a couple of % weighting to it

Not only simpler explanations; there are ones that are actually plausible
I am surprised Fred, that as an ex-lawyer you have not seen many times the shattering effect of relationship betrayal and breakdown.

The fracturing it has on foundations of family, friends, and close communities - like footy clubs.

At Richmond we have the leader - the culture setter, the mentor, the one who for over a decade has preached loyalty and commitment trashing his own values and falling away.

We have the effects of unfaithfulness on a woman who was a mother figure to many young men through the 2010s at Richmond.

Trust broken. Sides having to be taken. Energy sapped. Smoldering wicks snuffed out. Footy running a distant second (or third or fourth) in thoughts and priorities.

They have injuries, and worn out by 4-5 years of tough footy, their hunger has waned somewhat. But on another level, a meta level, the club and relationship fabric has been torn.

I am surprised Fred, that as an ex-lawyer you have not seen many times the shattering effect of relationship betrayal and breakdown.

The fracturing it has on foundations of family, friends, and close communities - like footy clubs.

At Richmond we have the leader - the culture setter, the mentor, the one who for over a decade has preached loyalty and commitment trashing his own values and falling away.

We have the effects of unfaithfulness on a woman who was a mother figure to many young men through the 2010s at Richmond.

Trust broken. Sides having to be taken. Energy sapped. Smoldering wicks snuffed out. Footy running a distant second (or third or fourth) in thoughts and priorities.

They have injuries, and worn out by 4-5 years of tough footy, their hunger has waned somewhat. But on another level, a meta level, the club and relationship fabric has been torn.
It's not a completely unreasonable interpretation but it's based on drawing a bit of a bow.

On this day 2017 I made a Facebook post saying that Richmond being considered a shot at the flag was a bad joke after they got pumped by a lowly saints outfit. Let's wait to see how the rest of the season pans out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back