List Mgmt. Steven Motlop nominates Port Adelaide, Geelong declines to match, COMPO IS PICK 19

Remove this Banner Ad

LEAVE HIM ALONE... ALL OF YOU...

This motlop obsession, this hatred a lot of so-called "Geelong supporters" have for this one guy is mind boggling.

Guthrie has been WAY worse, yet isn't abused constantly on the internet or at games from "supporters".

I genuinuly believe all this negative critisicm from supporters is what is affecting him.

He has not been as bad as some on here like to fabricate to suit their predetermination on him based on irrational rubbish.

- He kicks a goal a game, gets 20 possies with a high proportion of his possies being damaging... way more damaging than the average player.

- he is a better kick for goal than just about anyone in GFC bar Menzel

- he breaks it open in games.. even when perceived to be having a poor game (well poor game compared to ridiculous standards maybe?) see his kick to Parsons v GWS last week

- "supporters" getting annoyed about how he stops and props - you clearly have ZERO idea. He is composed enough to see nothing ahead, waits and passes safely to a team mate, rather than bombing it to a 3 on 1 Hawkins like most of our lesser composed, less skilled players do. This is a GOOD thing he does.

- he is NOT a contested ball player so STOP comparing him to one. He is an outside skillful player that needs a bit of space to do his best work. You don't scream at Hawkins for not running and carrying, you don't scream at Duncan for not getting hitouts... so stop abusing this guy for not being a contested player.

He hasn't been as good as his 2012 year, he has some knee problems that have limited him somewhat, but he does run and he does try. He is not being used suitably by Scott. He should spend 50% on a FP and 50% on a wing used in transition with space - that is the type of player he is and he is still a VERY good player in that regard.

Play him to his strengths and with a bit of confidence and less abuse from supporters I think he'd flourish.

This motlop obsession, this hatred a lot of so-called "Geelong supporters" have for this one guy is mind boggling.

Guthrie has been WAY worse, yet isn't abused constantly on the internet or at games from "supporters".

I genuinuly believe all this negative critisicm from supporters is what is affecting him.

He has not been as bad as some on here like to fabricate to suit their predetermination on him based on irrational rubbish.

- He kicks a goal a game, gets 20 possies with a high proportion of his possies being damaging... way more damaging than the average player.

- he breaks it open in games.. even when perceived to be having a poor game (well poor game compared to ridiculous standards maybe?) see his kick to Parsons v GWS last week

- "supporters" getting annoyed about how he stops and props - you clearly have ZERO idea. He is composed enough to see nothing ahead, waits and passes safely to a team mate, rather than bombing it to a 3 on 1 Hawkins like most of our lesser composed, less skilled players do. This is a GOOD thing he does.

- he is NOT a contested ball player so STOP comparing him to one. He is an outside skillful player that needs a bit of space to do his best work. You don't scream at Hawkins for not running and carrying, you don't scream at Duncan for not getting hitouts... so stop abusing this guy for not being a contested player.

He hasn't been as good as his 2012 year, he has some knee problems that have limited him somewhat, but he does run and he does try. He is not being used suitably by Scott. He should spend 50% on a FP and 50% on a wing used in transition with space - that is the type of player he is and he is still a VERY good player in that regard.

Play him to his strengths and with a bit of confidence and less abuse from supporters I think he'd flourish.

You clearly don't read the Cats board enough...

I don't have much against him. Just think he's going. Club tried to trade him last year. I really doubt he'll wanna stay unless no one else offers him as much money as us.

I hope he stays. We have no other players like him with his skill and x factor. Cockatoo is the only player somewhat close, but he's never on the park. I think he is crucial to our team, despite the unwarranted abuse. try and sign him for marginally less (or equal to - given the CBA increase) but for f*ck sake, sign the guy up, and play him to his strengths. We need him.

I don't have much against him. Just think he's going. Club tried to trade him last year. I really doubt he'll wanna stay unless no one else offers him as much money as us.

Unless we get offered a R1 AND he wants to go, then keep him. If someone offers a R2, reject. If he is certain he wants to leave, we will have less power, but it doesn't mean we have to accept a R2 - he is worth much, much more to us.

Wants to stay at Geelong but will have to accept less than the 600K that he is currently on. North are very keen on him however.

I have no mail, but just a hunch. North are after a "name". I reckon if they can't land either Martin or Kelly their fall back option is Motlop. They want to be seen to be doing something. To show the AFL "hey look we can attract players here too". Steven may like the idea of playing where his brothers started their careers as well.

I'm not a bad Geelong supporter because I dislike a Geelong player. He's lack of effort disrespects the club and his team mates. I feel for the guys who are busting their arse and are let down by the lack of effort from Motlop. A goal a game...whatever, he pops and gets a goal after costing us across the game. Gets cheap possessions. Anyway that's another argument and one we will never agree on, but I get annoyed with this "so called geelong supporters" crap. I'm every much a passionate and supportive member of the club as someone who likes mots.

I dont think he gives a s**t about the club or his teammates. Motlop doesnt work hard enough etc etc Ill buy into a player if I think they are buying into the club.

I dont expect him to a contested player but theres clear examples where he just doesnt even try.

Great post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed, but describing the haters as "so-called" Geelong supporters is incorrect.
They are misguided, they are football-ignoramuses, but they are definitely Geelong supporters.
They've been standing behind me at Geelong games for 60 years, screaming "for gorsake, just KICK it!", etc.
There are always nits to pick. It was well written with genuine insight touched with fondness for a GFC player... that's aways going to appeal to me, regardless of rough edges.

Agreed, but describing the haters as "so-called" Geelong supporters is incorrect.
They are misguided, they are football-ignoramuses, but they are definitely Geelong supporters.
They've been standing behind me at Geelong games for 60 years, screaming "for gorsake, just KICK it!", etc.
Haha, love those ones.

That is not me at all. I'm not one who thinks the game is so simple and I don't want to be considered as such because I don't think motlop is any good.

I dislike motlop because I recognise the importance of team defence and pressure and I continuously see motlop break the chain with piss weak efforts.

I agree with this, and noticeably most kicks are short and precise.

I think that he has changed from that dynamic game breaking sprinter, in to a far more solid & quiet role player. Just doing an assigned role that doesn't require so much of the after burner.

You clearly don't read the Cats board enough...

Gets nowhere near the flak Motlop does.

i put a stat comparison link over on the Guthrie thread.. There's basically nothing in it.

Motlop gets flamed by a LOT more supporters.

Guthrie is the blue-eyed wonder boy who's gonna have his breakout year and become an A-grade midfielder.. It's destiny. :rolleyes:

#guthhasnoguts

i put a stat comparison link over on the Guthrie thread.. There's basically nothing in it.

Motlop gets flamed by a LOT more supporters.

Guthrie is the blue-eyed wonder boy who's gonna have his breakout year and become an A-grade midfielder.. It's destiny. :rolleyes:

#guthhasnoguts

That's awesome mate. Surprised to see you post in here actually I thought you only read & posted in the Guthrie thread and nothing else mattered. But I guess if you have a chance to talk Guthrie down some more then there's no thread you won't post in.

That is not me at all. I'm not one who thinks the game is so simple and I don't want to be considered as such because I don't think motlop is any good.

I dislike motlop because I recognise the importance of team defence and pressure and I continuously see motlop break the chain with piss weak efforts.
It's not as horrible as you think. Motlop has had 36 tackles this year. For comparison Menzel has had only 14.

talk Guthrie down

Just trying to introduce some reality onto this forum. In the last few years the bloke's been talked up like he's the next star of the comp.

All I do is state the obvious but clearly it ruffles a lot of feathers, which in itself is entirely amusing.

To me Motlop is one if the most frustrating player on our list because we all know the talent he has, but he seems at times to pick & choose with his application. So if we lost Motlop at seasons end I wouldn't be too upset, especially if he was replaced with someone like Smith.

At the moment I believe Motlop is played out of position and that is something I have been saying for over 12 months - the best position for a player is the position that opposition coaches & fans don't want to see them play. Yes Motlop provides a level of pace on the outside when playing on the wing, but I don't think he is as damaging as if he was playing within 75m of goal and getting front & centre at marking contests within our 50.

A guy I used to work with who is a Saints supporter said he was always happy to see Stevie J playing thorough the midfield and racking up 20+ disposals, as they found him less damaging then when he was set up inside our 50 and only getting 15 disposals but hitting the scoreboard more often because that is when they felt he killed them. I feel it's the same with Motlop.

Someone mentioned earlier about him being replaced by Smith next year and comment was about Smith averaging less than a goal a game which isn't true this season. So far this season, Smith has kicked 9 goals in 9 matches while Motlop has kicked 15 in 14 matches. And when you compare their current seasons Smith actually comes out ahead overall: averaging sightly more disposals, but also more marks, tackles, inside 50s, contested possessions, clearances, marks inside 50 and less clangers.

So if we did lose Motlop we will lose a bit of x-factor (when he is on), but if we gain Smith then we get someone who has shown himself to work harder defensively and be stronger at the contest. Could really be the small forward we need.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back