List Mgmt. Steven Motlop nominates Port Adelaide, Geelong declines to match, COMPO IS PICK 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Really going to diminish Geelong's forward potency losing Menzel and Motlop in one go. Hopefully some more forwards can be drafted to fill the hole. Makes getting someone like Smith a necessity.
And Smith averages less than 1 goal a game lol.

I reckon Port. We'll swap our first picks and also get their 3rd.
We'll give that 3rd to GC for Ablett and their 4th.
The first we get from Port along with Stanley will go to GWS for Devon Smith.
Kolo will stay. 3 year deal.

Port dont have a first rounder they traded it to brisbane last year.
He is a free agent i dont see why you think port would trade for him (unless you think they will get band 1 compo for pittard or trengove and you think they will trade for motlop to not dilute the compo but it still makes no sense to me).
GWS have no cap room any trade we do with them for smith/hopper will be for picks only and stanley wouldnt get a game there anyway.

If stanley goes (which is possible) it will be for a team where he thinks he can be best 22 (richmond or maybe the dogs come to mind). He is not going to leave here where he likes the country lifestyle to play 2s somewhere else.

FWIW i think wells will let motlop go only if he thinks he has another good small/med fwd guaranteed to come in a trade-smith ablett etc.

And Smith averages less than 1 goal a game lol.

Motlop averages 2.3 tackles a game over his career and smith 4.6. I would like to have both but smith brings a lot of benefits other than goals.

I can't understand why Motlop gets so much negativity from our own fans. If he goes we will struggle to replace him. It's more difficult to see on tv the impact he has. But at games you can see the link up and running he does. I'd be keen to see him spend more time forward especially with the injuries we've got there.
If we got a first round pick as compo obviously that could be used to get a good player and on less money. But I'd be disappointed to lose him and could see him playing very well at another club.

Spot on. When he stuffs a kick he cops it. When he kicks a perfect lace out pass you here the "about time / lucky he didn't stuff that too". Judged harshly but I guess that one great year he had upped the expectations moving forward and he's been struggling to consistently play at that level.

A gun when he's on so the rest of the season will tell us a lot.

I can't understand why Motlop gets so much negativity from our own fans. If he goes we will struggle to replace him. It's more difficult to see on tv the impact he has. But at games you can see the link up and running he does. I'd be keen to see him spend more time forward especially with the injuries we've got there.
If we got a first round pick as compo obviously that could be used to get a good player and on less money. But I'd be disappointed to lose him and could see him playing very well at another club.

Couldn't agree more. He is a very good player. When we lose, he plays poorly. Suddenly he's a downhill skier while others judged less harshly. He's an outside player, if we lose the inside battle his game suffers by virtue of his role.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Really going to diminish Geelong's forward potency losing Menzel and Motlop in one go. Hopefully some more forwards can be drafted to fill the hole. Makes getting someone like Smith a necessity.

I know you're riding this Menzel leaving thing harder than beaten favourite as is your want, but its been well plastered around here in the last 24 hours that Wells and GFC have started talks with Menzel and his management for a new deal. Granted, you many not be aware of this too.

GO Catter

I'm critical of Motlop but half you are a disgrace and the other half are blindly in love with the bloke. There is seemingly no in between.

He is building and that's what he needs. He is the type of guy who is going to do the miraculous but also stuff up a fair bit. Let's hope he ke3ps building for finals. He has been taking two steps forward, one back.

It's lazy to suggest he is definitely gone. He was gone last year and I think a genuine shock he stayed. I think this year he stays. Probably a short deal but he stays.

so the 'whispers' seem to be at this stage that Lonergan and Mackie retire, Motlop and Menzel are out... Kolodjashnij stays... Ablett returns.. and Smith and Hopper become Cats..

If that happens, I think I would be happy, and leave our side looking like:

B: Bews Henderson Kolodjashnij
HB: Touhy Taylor Thurlow
C: Duncan J.Selwood C.Guthrie
HF: Smith Stanley Cockatoo
F: McCarthy Hawkins Parfitt
Foll: Smith Dangerfield Ablett
Inter: Blicavs, S.Selwood, Menegola, Hopper
Emergencies: Murdoch, Parsons, Lang

VFL
B: Ruggles Gardner Z.Guthrie
HB: Murdoch Stewart Cunico
C: Gregson O'Conner Narkle
F: Parsons House Henry
F: Black Buzza Jones
Foll: Abbott Lang Simpson
Inter: Ratagolea (plus 4 draft picks - I would like to see a couple of 'natural forward' types, a project ruck and project key defender)

Delisted: Cowan (might retire?), Hayball (wouldn't be surprised to see him make a surprising debut and impress though)
Traded: Horlin-Smith (deserves a chance elsewhere)

I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the likes of Ruggles, Black, House, Abbott, Ratagolea, Henry, or Jones be delisted as well..

so the 'whispers' seem to be at this stage that Lonergan and Mackie retire, Motlop and Menzel are out... Kolodjashnij stays... Ablett returns.. and Smith and Hopper become Cats..

VFL
Inter: Ratagolea (plus 4 draft picks - I would like to see a couple of 'natural forward' types, a project ruck and project key defender)

Delisted: Cowan (might retire?), Hayball (wouldn't be surprised to see him make a surprising debut and impress though)

I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the likes of Ruggles, Black, House, Abbott, Ratagolea, Henry, or Jones be delisted as well..

On what planetary system should either kolo or thurlow be getting picked ahead of stewart? His form is easily ahead of the other two.

Also ablett should play as a permanent small forward we easily have enough inside mids but we lack crumbing forwards and the balance of the side would be better served putting ablett there IMO.

I know you're riding this Menzel leaving thing harder than beaten favourite as is your want, but its been well plastered around here in the last 24 hours that Wells and GFC have started talks with Menzel and his management for a new deal. Granted, you many not be aware of this too.

GO Catter
Generous. I would have said throwing chum in the water.
Didn't bite this time. yay me ;)

On what planetary system should either kolo or thurlow be getting picked ahead of stewart? His form is easily ahead of the other two.

Also ablett should play as a permanent small forward we easily have enough inside mids but we lack crumbing forwards and the balance of the side would be better served putting ablett there IMO.
Fair call. I think Thurlow will win his spot back at some point, well I hope so..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn't agree more. He is a very good player. When we lose, he plays poorly. Suddenly he's a downhill skier while others judged less harshly. He's an outside player, if we lose the inside battle his game suffers by virtue of his role.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
The thing which people don't seem to understand about outside players (which every team absolutely needs) is that inevitably they will be downhill skiers to a certain extent. They rely on their team mates to win the ball in the contest and feed it out to them. It is not a criticism it is just the way the game works. Also I think the high half forward role is a very difficult role to accumulate a lot of the ball in. Just look at the difference in menegola's stats when he plays on the ball as compared to a half forward role. Finally I think he is hurt by the structured nature of the game and the lack of end to end exciting football. Especially the way we have changed our game plan to become more defensive over the last 5 weeks. We will really miss him if he leaves and I would love him to stay. Unfortunately considering he was on the trade table last year I can't seem him feeling like he owes us too much and I think he will go.

GO Catter
Started talks doesn't really mean anything. If Menzel has decided to go, then the club is just going through due process until the end of the season.

I reckon Port. We'll swap our first picks and also get their 3rd.
We'll give that 3rd to GC for Ablett and their 4th.
The first we get from Port along with Stanley will go to GWS for Devon Smith.
Kolo will stay. 3 year deal.
Love it, but we don't have a first round pick this year

Love it, but we don't have a first round pick this year
Yeah. I meant that pick that we get from Carlton.
PO made me realise that Port don't have a first this year either.
Wonder if the Motlop compo would be close to a 1st rounder though.

Started talks doesn't really mean anything. If Menzel has decided to go, then the club is just going through due process until the end of the season.

Started talks means plenty. It means that where there was no discussion between 2 parties, there now is discussion between 2 parties. Pretty simple.

I know you aren't that incapable of analysis so you must be looking for something else that is not there yet. I wonder what that could be...?

Now, if both, or one side even, come out and put talks off to seasons end, then Id suggest there might be an issue. But to automatically assume the negative implication of talks being opened just once again highlights your lack of satisfaction with anything GFC does.

Cant wait to see the GD thread this week :rolleyes:

GO Catters

I'd also add that Parsons will be likely best 22 next year (if he isn't already) after another pre-season.

VFL

Why would we delist Ruggles :(

Agree on Stewart. His form was really good before the fracture, and definitely ahead of the other two. With another year in the system hopefully he can improve from there too.

Not sure i agree so much on Ablett though. Yes, he'll be 34, so you'd expect him to spend less time in the middle than he used to, and he'd certainly be a handy addition to the forward line that could hopefully snag 40+ goals.

But, you could make the same argument with Dangerfield, He could easily play permanent forward and kick 2-3 goals a game, but he's too good in the middle. I'd make the same argument for Ablett, he would easily be in our top 3 or 4 midfielders with selwood, dangerfield and duncan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back