Autopsy Swans Vs Dons Rnd 4 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder when Gulden gets thrown into the midfield mix. There was a moment, i think it was the last quarter where he arrived at the contest, went past everyone and cleanly picked up the hard ball and got it out.

Has too much footy IQ and endurance capacity to be hiding in the forward line for too long.

He is a class act and quickly becoming one of my favourite players.
imo he can be a Merrett/Jack type
I would be playing there ASAP , said weeks ago

It was really only the last one that he was lucky with.

It’s no longer automatic to get pinged but the prior opportunity applies after the possession. If he is wrapped up pretty quickly they will ball it up if he seemingly takes the game on or tries to avoid a tackle then he is open to get done holding the ball.

When the ump explained to Hooker that it isn’t a rule anymore I think that the next decision was clouded by that comment (not sure if same ump or not) but thought there was a bit of second guessing with the last one.

It’s open to umpire interpretation so going to get some inconsistencies around it.

The outrage on the main board is expected as they need to justify a bottom four team starting so well when the fans have pencilled in wins for that fixture.

Best comment was how do we feel almost losing to a bottom four team. Classic big footy
A handful of frees to Paps in the first half were missed when he was scragged. But they just don't get paid & I'm thinking the umps let plenty of the 50/50 ones go last night.
Same with the short kicks. They guess. Same with arms chopped. They guess.
We were lucky we were in front when the siren went for a change.

I wonder when Gulden gets thrown into the midfield mix. There was a moment, i think it was the last quarter where he arrived at the contest, went past everyone and cleanly picked up the hard ball and got it out.

Has too much footy IQ and endurance capacity to be hiding in the forward line for too long.

The best part is he is unlikely to be poached by a Vic club, provided we pay him fairly.

How did Dew (Not the Stuart variety) become such a factor at the SCG. I’ve watched a lot of night games over the years and other than them turning on the sprinklers before the Geelong semi I had never seen it as such a factor.

Last few years it seems to really mess up the skills for both teams.

For those with better noggins what could be the reason for it always being the case or am I just forgetting slippery games if the past.

A handful of frees to Paps in the first half were missed when he was scragged. But they just don't get paid & I'm thinking the umps let plenty of the 50/50 ones go last night.
Same with the short kicks. They guess. Same with arms chopped. They guess.
We were lucky we were in front when the siren went for a change.

From the behind the goals vision two bombers kicks in a row in their defensive 50 barely went 10 meters each. That must be difficult to judge at ground level but they looked pretty obvious from the tv camera vantage.

How did Dew (Not the Stuart variety) become such a factor at the SCG. I’ve watched a lot of night games over the years and other than them turning on the sprinklers before the Geelong semi I had never seen it as such a factor.

Last few years it seems to really mess up the skills for both teams.

For those with better noggins what could be the reason for it always being the case or am I just forgetting slippery games if the past.
It depends on the weather.
Yesterday was exceptional conditions for Dew to form. Still night. Humid easterly flow.

I said last trade period that Hewett was potentially expendable as he could be forced out of the midfield rotation in the near future (and was shot down in a blaze of glory lol). I didn’t predict Mills going in there full time and in all honesty I didn’t expect it to happen this quickly.

If he isn’t in the midfield IMO he shouldn’t be in the team.

Out of contract this year and I can’t see us putting forward a particularly lucrative offer as we will prioritise others so he may get better offers from other teams.

I said last trade period that Hewett was potentially expendable as he could be forced out of the midfield rotation in the near future (and was shot down in a blaze of glory lol). I didn’t predict Mills going in there full time and in all honesty I didn’t expect it to happen this quickly.

If he isn’t in the midfield IMO he shouldn’t be in the team.

Out of contract this year and I can’t see us putting forward a particularly lucrative offer as we will prioritise others so he may get better offers from other teams.
He is a mid , he even plays that way in defence

Imo harsh but is a liability back there at times

Need a medium sized defender that can come across a help but create also

Fox or Gould

That was a grind! Full credit to Essendon who were on edge and aggressive. We started the game trying the short kick corridor stuff but Essendon cut players across to intercept. Our guys were forced to revert to going down the wings with dump kicks. That made for a pretty ugly night for the forwards with limited quality opportunities available. Gulden continues to be amazing, even under incredible pressure he still remains composed. The SCG definitely does not suit the corridor play. It just seems such a small ground which enables the oppositions zone to work by bringing the players closer together. I think the swans will need to have a small ground plan and an MCG large ground plan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You do need a miner in there.
I guess mills could be considered a miner.

Warner the ball winner, Mills the distributor / blocker, Gulden the class?

I’ve conceded Mills will be staying in the midfield...

...and he is performing more or less what I expected he will - not flashy and gets the job done but isn’t an upgrade (or necessarily a downgrade) per se on the likes of Kennedy/Parker/Hewett. I’ve always been consistent that I thought he’d be a solid midfielder I just thought he was an elite defender and wouldn’t bring more to the midfield than what we already had which I don’t think is too far from whats occurring.

Was that when he pivoted a few times and it looked like the Bombers players just stood still and didn't even try to tackle him. Was such a ridiculous moment that he was able to find such time and space.

Was that when he pivoted a few times and it looked like the Bombers players just stood still and didn't even try to tackle him. Was such a ridiculous moment that he was able to find such time and space.

Sounds like it, just cruised in and left with the ball. Unbelievable

I think Wicks is smart enough to play as a forward. Bell doesn’t have the tricks so gets a bit lost in traffic. But as Robbieando pointed out, his efforts are immense.

I think he’s a citizen we persevere with. Maybe not next week with a couple coming back, but we should keep giving him chances when we can.

I hate this “never again” stuff.
A citizen we persevere with.. yep. All teams need those depth players.
Unlike Gray, Taylor types, he's not gonna leave and not gonna demand many $$ (freeing up cap space for others) and will contribute when called upon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back