2nds Sydney Swans Ressies 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Went to the game, absolutely horrible conditions.

Copied and pasted from my post on RWO:

OK, just got back. I arrived at quarter time (again). It was a pretty shocking game, but aside from the second quarter, in which Ainslie got their lead, we stuck with them. The conditions were absolutely atrocious, and it was difficult to get impressions of some of the players, especially the in-and-under types, as their work was as much to just smash the ball forward as get the pill and use it cleanly. Visibility also got really bad at times, particularly the last quarter.

10. Currie: Rucked most of the day (with some back-up from Emery). Seemed to do well. We won a lot of clearances, but unfortunately they were mostly ineffective (but the same can be said of Ainslie, it was just one of those days where a clearance meant relatively little).
13. Vespa: Didn't do that much. Struggled to take clean possession of the ball, but again, there was just that something about the way he played which suggested he's a level above, even if he's not quite playing like it. Anyway, seemed to play most of the game in the midfield, with patches up forward. He's also looking very big, and needs to trim down a touch.
19. Bradshaw: Was moving very nicely all game, kicking two goals and providing plenty of leads, so I was somewhat surprised to see him spend most (if not all) of the last quarter off the ground. I was hoping it was just precautionary, but after the siren went and the players were walking off, I saw Bradshaw limping to the race with a trainer beside him, looking very sore indeed. Not good at all. :(
22. Sumner: BOG for mine playing across half back/wing, and by quite some way. I'm a VERY big fan of this kid. Honestly, you'd have thought there wasn't a drop of moisture out there the way he was handling the ball. It simply cannot be overstated how good his handling was. Even when the rain was coming down so hard that you couldn't make out players on the other side of the ground, he was picking the ball up clean as you like and going for a run. Disposal was inconsistent, which is to be expected with the wet ball, but it was still better than anybody else's on the ground. Also found a fair bit of it, despite missing a good chunk of the second quarter with what looked like an ankle problem.
23. Johnston: It was never going to be a day for the talls, but credit to LJ, he ran hard all day long, and managed to clunk a few marks and have some good touches. Saw him win a few possessions up at half back after long, long leads, and he chased hard. An unglamourous day, but I'd think the coaches would be happy.
27. Thornton: A typical KT game. Did all the basic hard-nut things right, but didn't stand out. Solid return from injury I suppose.
28. McNeil: Didn't really notice him, most likely because he was at the bottom of very large packs and covered in mud for 90% of the time he was near the ball. Can't really judge, but it wouldn't surprise me if he won a large number of ineffective (but effective by the day's standards) touches.
35. Heath: Looked pretty good playing in defence on a much bigger guy. Looks like a slimmer version of Craig Bolton out there, and plays the same role. Did some very good things on the counter-attack as well. One of our best.
36. McKaigue: Played in defence and looked quite good against opponents much bigger. Made some errors in the wet, not reading the wet ball properly, etc, but that will come with experience. Wouldn't say he was one of our best 6, but he was solid enough, and his development is coming along nicely.
43. MOD: Did well, showed some very clean hands at times, but I didn't notice him that much. Spent time at HB, in the middle and HF.
45. Gordon: This bloke is tough, and he found plenty of the ball, but made some errors. Played midfield. Still one of our best I reckon.

Top-ups/Scholarship boys:

I kept getting Gurthrie and Potter mixed up, because I kept forgetting which was which, but both seemed to play pretty well, both are hard at it. I don't know how old they are, but if they're 2011/12 eligible, and so have some more development in them, then they're not without a chance of getting picked up.

Kieran Emery was quite good for a big guy in the conditions. Provided some relief in the ruck, and took a couple of nice marks.

44, Lachlan Felsman, did some nice things, probably caught my eye most out of the other top-ups along with number 56, who I assumed was Mitch May at first.

Byron wins play of the day kicking a puddle splashing water into the ainslie player taking the set shot and put off him shanking the kick sooo awesome byron is a star and soooo cheeky

Bradshaw looked terrible in sooo much pain couldnt even walk down the race idd say hes done

Kt looked great coming back from injury and i thought currie did well in sloppy conditions

Lewis johnston got a big talking to at 3rd break just messed up a few things but the coaches said he was heading in the right direction

Byron wins play of the day kicking a puddle splashing water into the ainslie player taking the set shot and put off him shanking the kick sooo awesome byron is a star and soooo cheeky

Bradshaw looked terrible in sooo much pain couldnt even walk down the race idd say hes done

Kt looked great coming back from injury and i thought currie did well in sloppy conditions

Lewis johnston got a big talking to at 3rd break just messed up a few things but the coaches said he was heading in the right direction

Wasn't at the game due to sons 1st b'day.

This is a serious question and no sarcasm intended.

Do you fear straight sets end looming?

With your run of loses over the 6 weeks it must be on the cards?

Lol, that was amazing. Absolutely brilliant.

By the way, are you the blonde girl who was screaming at the top of her lungs all game? Had another girl with you? I think I was sitting in the seat in front of you in the second half...

Bradshaw didn't pull up very well last week after the game but by the monday the knee was travelling well so we'll wait to see what happens in the next few days. I'd say he'll get the call up if he does the right things during the week.

Bradshaw didn't pull up very well last week after the game but by the monday the knee was travelling well so we'll wait to see what happens in the next few days. I'd say he'll get the call up if he does the right things during the week.
This is the 2nd week in a row that Bradshaw has come off and missed a large part of the game. Do you really want that to happen in a final ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look idd like to see who we are playing next week coz i think we will give it a good crack today was really hard in the wet and who ever kicked away early was going to win it

I dont think ill be too upset if we lose next week its been a very very tough run home for the ressies promotions and injuries have really hurt us

but its never say die atm for me

Haha, nah, it was good, I didn't have a problem with it. :)

you probs caught me a lot talking about currie haha

really enjoyed the game actually the wet weather footy was pretty fun to watch shows u who really knows how to play good footy (sumner)

i went out into the huddle during the third quarter freezing and rain coming in side ways the boys all had chattering teeth

and credit to Dam McPherson i really like his coaching hes stern but understanding and praises good work Stewy Dew is a cracker also

This is the 2nd week in a row that Bradshaw has come off and missed a large part of the game. Do you really want that to happen in a final ?

The club insisted on Bradshaw getting some game time in the reserves, it wasn't going to be 100% game time. He was a little sore last week and who knows how he is at the moment, from reports he doesn't look too promising but the club is in the best position to make the call. If the medical team reckon he's good to go then bring him in. At least we have an actual target.

I think some of you have trouble understanding how vital Bradshaw is to our finals campaign, people have been saying " oh but we have been fine without him for 10 weeks". Finals is a completely different ball game and it's been known that for a team to make an impact you NEED to have a proper key forward, Who do we have? Jessie White, What has he done? NOTHING! White isn't capable of turning a final on it's head. Take a look at the Brisbane V Carlton final last year and you'll see how important Bradshaw is.

Bradshaw could barely get through the game he looked good early but as the game wore on he looked pretty worse for wear

and when i saw him limp/hobble in a lot of pain i didnt think "oh he'll be right to play" he looked in a lot of pain and whincing if he had to stand on the sore knee

I dont think its worth while playing him in seniors at all he can only run out for 10 mins and didnt even play the last quarter idd hate to go into next weeks final (if we win) with bradshaw coz eventually he'll come off and we will be one less rotation we havnt needed him why bring him in now get him ready for next year it was always going to be a risk bring him into the ressies

The club insisted on Bradshaw getting some game time in the reserves, it wasn't going to be 100% game time. He was a little sore last week and who knows how he is at the moment, from reports he doesn't look too promising but the club is in the best position to make the call. If the medical team reckon he's good to go then bring him in. At least we have an actual target.

I think some of you have trouble understanding how vital Bradshaw is to our finals campaign, people have been saying " oh but we have been fine without him for 10 weeks". Finals is a completely different ball game and it's been known that for a team to make an impact you NEED to have a proper key forward, Who do we have? Jessie White, What has he done? NOTHING! White isn't capable of turning a final on it's head. Take a look at the Brisbane V Carlton final last year and you'll see how important Bradshaw is.
I'm not disputing how important Bradshaw is to our team, I don't think anyone on this board does. However, it is worrying that he has come off prematurely twice and has not run out the game. I'm no White apologist as some posters here will readily tell you, but if Bradshaw were to pull up lame in a final, having Jesse White out there is a lot better than having just 21 players.

There is little doubt that we begin to struggle when the number of listed players drops to below 12-13. The best thing for the ressies's chances of winning the flag would be for the seniors to bow out tomorrow and for them to get back the likes of Reid, Rohan and Dennis-Lane (but probably lose Bradshaw). But of course we don't want that to happen - for obvious reasons :)

But it has been done before, the 2008 ressies team only had 12 listed players in all their finals- there were 11 today, so we can conclude the current team is underperforming as they are losing by quite big margins. Veszpremi and Johnston haven't featured in the best lists for a while, they should be the ones leading the way.

I'm not disputing how important Bradshaw is to our team, I don't think anyone on this board does. However, it is worrying that he has come off prematurely twice and has not run out the game. I'm no White apologist as some posters here will readily tell you, but if Bradshaw were to pull up lame in a final, having Jesse White out there is a lot better than having just 21 players.

It's frustrating that we can't get him out there, he was suppose to be back weeks ago but the knee seems to be a big problem. I was very optimistic last week that he would be back for finals but after today's report I can't help but feel frustrated. I really thought White would step up this season but he hasn't delivered. We can't rely on multiple goal kickers each week.

I agree with grim and soph about bradshaw, definitely not worth the risk for finals by the sound of things.

Disclaimer: I am a White apologist, but even if White was not playing I still would not risk Bradshaw for finals based on the evidence so far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back