Preview Sydney Swans vs Fremantle Dockers, Sunday 12:30pm @ Metricon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm OK with the changes but if we have dropped Stephens so that Rowbottom can have another so so game where he gets about 15 touches and is on heavily managed minutes I will be annoyed. Because it becomes a pointless selection that could've been another chance for Stephens to find his feet.

Ronke in instead of Stephens?

This says plenty to me about the state of Stephen's contract discussions.
This is just me thinking out loud here. I say he is on the move out at season's end.
I can't see why he doesn't stay in the team ahead of Ronke. I could be missing something but my suspicious side says he's gone & we are not investing in him unless we are down on similar players.

Dont like the dropping Stephens thing. Dont ever see Ronke being a part of a flag side. No choice but to be optimistic about him, but i expect a 0.2, 8 touch, 2 tackle game from him.

Turn it up Stephens is the future

How many seasons are you going to give Stephens before the future becomes the present. If you think what Stephens has shown so far is the future then Iā€™m concerned you have lost your eye on a player or Spec Savers have stitched you up. Having said that the last time I seen you with glasses on I think they may have been your
Grog Glasses. All that said 2 seasons on most of these kids that get drafted is never enough to determine how they will turn out but he will need to put on some size, toughen the **** up and stop looking like a stung mullet every time he takes the footy in hand in close. One more year imo and if given more opportunity and a string of games he remains at the same level then off you go Son.

How many seasons are you going to give Stephens before the future becomes the present. If you think what Stephens has shown so far is the future then Iā€™m concerned you have lost your eye on a player or Spec Savers have stitched you up. Having said that the last time I seen you with glasses on I think they may have been your
Grog Glasses. All that said 2 seasons on most of these kids that get drafted is never enough to determine how they will turn out but he will need to put on some size, toughen the **** up and stop looking like a stung mullet every time he takes the footy in hand in close. One more year imo and if given more opportunity and a string of games he remains at the same level then off you go Son.

Stephens is only in his second year and he has been given a fraction of the opportunities Bell has been given.

This is just me thinking out loud here. I say he is on the move out at season's end.
I can't see why he doesn't stay in the team ahead of Ronke. I could be missing something but my suspicious side says he's gone & we are not investing in him unless we are down on similar players.

After the game on weekend Horse went around hugging all the players and was quite animated. When it came to Stephens it was half hearted and luke warm just go through the motions. Right then I said to myself that a good chance there is stalling in negotiations from Stephens because he is gone. Shame if so but that's life I guess. Long way to go but just hasn't been hard enough at the contest. He will regret that choice if that's his path

Agree here Ted but as I just said to your Learned Colleague Bedford I think a player that shows the skill and running power he was recruited for probably needs one more year with a fair crack before papers stamped. Personally I donā€™t see him featuring long term.

Last edited:
I just would like to see him have a run of games , he has so much talent and we didn't pick him up so high if he's no good . He shouldn't be in for Bell as they play different roles , Ronke should take Bells spot . Actually go to OPSM and have had 1 beer at the footy in 3 years .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just would like to see him have a run of games , he has so much talent and we didn't pick him up so high if he's no good . He shouldn't be in for Bell as they play different roles , Ronke should take Bells spot . Actually go to OPSM and have had 1 beer at the footy in 3 years .

I didnā€™t say you had your Grog Glasses on at the footy I said the last time I seen you wearing glasses. Anyway put your best bifocals on the next time he plays and then come back and tell me if the 3 things I said he needs are not correct. And please Donā€™t take into account he is probably a nice kid.

Looking forward to an underwhelming performance from Ronke and the board responding with "Give Ronke a second chance. First game back from injury".

I reserve the right to delete this post if he plays well.

He won't though.

I think if confidence really is Stephens' issue then there's an argument to be made about NOT playing him in the seniors, as getting exposed and stinking it up at senior level is probably equally as damaging to an individual's confidence as not being selected in the first place. Maybe Horse is wanting a solid run of games from Stephens in the VFL where he displays great confidence to be convinced that he's got enough confidence behind him to play an AFL match.

However there are two holes in that argument:

- Why are we playing Rowbottom, who looks as equally void of confidence right now (though probably rightfully so) instead of Stephens?

- And why did we intend to make Stephens our medical sub last week if he needs game time in the VFL to impress and mount his case?

It's definitely a weird case though.

Conflicted about Stephens.

We shouldn't just be playing him because we are worried he might leave if he isn't getting a game. If it is that fragile, we may as well move him on and get pick 30 and try again.

On the other hand, I don't think he has been given anything like a fair run at it in the seniors and was 'okay' last week. He genuinely looks like a Jack Macrae clone with how he moves and his disposal technique. Id love to see him get 5 or 6 non-sub games in a row and see what he looks like as a player then.

I thought he played better than Bell who seems to get games consistently without ever doing much.

On the other hand, Stephens has shown a few times a disinterest in the contest and lack of awareness. He might be another Cale Morton.

I also agree about Stephens' situation at the club. Maybe there is something behind closed doors that we don't know regarding his contract situation.

No disrespect to Rowbum but he has been managed all season since that hyperextension in round 1 and has not looked the same since. Stephens is at least fit. When we looked meh after round 4 and before this run of games at the very least I would have given 4-5 games of consistent run to show what hes got. I know it couldve increased the trade value, or it couldve hurt it but I would have at least tried. If its no good, then drop him to the 2s.

Have a feeling he is out the door with the squeeze we have this upcoming offseason. Maybe we are going to try again with Adelaide's 2nd round pick. Gonna go there imo and get games there.

I didnā€™t say you had your Grog Glasses on at the footy I said the last time I seen you wearing glasses. Anyway put your best bifocals on the next time he plays and then come back and tell me if the 3 things I said he needs are not correct. And please Donā€™t take into account he is probably a nice kid.
Of course he needs to improve a lot , who doesn't . Hayward i'm hoping is not another Rohan , as he needs to do more . Seriously never used my reading /big footy glasses at the footy. I do believe they are a terrific family . Also waiting for info on another good family with a player for Freo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back