After some thought, I reckon this might be the 22 this week:

Cunningham - Melican - Dawson
Lloyd - McCartin - Campbell
Florent - Mills - McInerney
Gulden - Reid - Parker
Papley - McLean - Hayward
Sinclair - Kennedy - Rowbottom

Hewett - Wicks - Warner - Blakey

McDonald is given a week off, McLean comes in straight to FF, Parker plays more forward.

I'd personally prefer to keep three talls but McDonald is dead on his feet atm (and understandably so) so I'd rather get Parker up forward, quicken up the midfield with Rowbottom in there and back our smalls to do what they did in the first few weeks without Bud.
I don’t think McD is fatigued - he just struggled to get a crack because the Swans became so Buddy-centric.

Papley wasn’t seen much, nor was Wicks, for the same reason.

I‘d really like to see McD retained & see how he performs in a Buddyless forward 50.

I don’t think McD is fatigued - he just struggled to get a crack because the Swans became so Buddy-centric.

Papley wasn’t seen much, nor was Wicks, for the same reason.

I‘d really like to see McD retained & see how he performs in a Buddyless forward 50.
disagree with McDonald, Paps, Wicks etc not seeing the ball because the Swans were Buddy centric. Think it was more to do with the opposition pressure and therefore a lot less forward 50 entries, a lot less clean entries and a lot less space
Amerty will play
A long shot, but he might..

Amerty will play
Reckon the Swans will replace Buddy and Hickey with two talls (ie. not Rowbum) McLean and Sinkers seem the obvious choice, but if the Swans want more mobility, then Amartey might come into discussions
Suns have no ruck, Amartey would win that Ruck contest ..

Swans insta just posted a pic of only 4 players and he was one of them...

I wouldn't read into it too much. They just put up the best pictures on the day.

On a few occasions last year they put up pictures of Gould and we know he didn't get a debut.

I wouldn't read into it too much. They just put up the best pictures on the day.

On a few occasions last year they put up pictures of Gould and we know he didn't get a debut.

Well I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious. So I believe in the photo theory. And the training bib theory!

Well I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious. So I believe in the photo theory. And the training bib theory!
If you go for the picture theory, how about the “CoR and Taylor are top of the reserves game review” theory.... CoR plays.

If you go for the picture theory, how about the “CoR and Taylor are top of the reserves game review” theory.... CoR plays.

I think in that case I subscribe to the, "the reserves review is posted in descending order of disposal count" theory :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No comment...
Based on the VFL review, I glean the following:

* CoR - inconsistent.
* Taylor - poor work rate.
* Clarke - weak over the ball.
* Brand - goes missing.
* Ling - gets beaten one on one.
* Sinkers - no good around the ground.
* Malachy - reactive, flat footed.
* Armatey - only runs one way.
* McLean - headless chook with ground ball.
* Bell - superstar.

Conclusion: Bell plays

Man I forgot Lewis Taylor was still on an AFL list, let alone ours

disagree with McDonald, Paps, Wicks etc not seeing the ball because the Swans were Buddy centric. Think it was more to do with the opposition pressure and therefore a lot less forward 50 entries, a lot less clean entries and a lot less space

A long shot, but he might..
I probably sound like a broken record but it all comes down to the SCG. Its easier to play that pressure game on us there, it forces the likes of McD, paps, wicks out to the wider expanses. Buddy commanded the guts of the forward line, and when there's a lot of defensive pressure there's really only room for one focal target down there. Everytime McD presented he was hugging boundry line, not much else he could've done. I honestly think on a bigger ground we would've overwhelmed GWS and Essendon comprehensively.

imo when playing at the SCG we need to ditch focusing on methodical hitting targets, trying to find the overlap style, and just play the territory game. It's exactly what GWS and Essendon did when going forward. Keep all forwards ahead of the ball and bang it in there. It may have seemed like we were doing that v GWS and kept failing, but that was because the long kick only came after piss farting around with it trying to be methodical in the middle from defence, it gave them the chance to set up defensively, hence our long kick would go wide and shallow, too late. Getting it in there quick will give our forwards more space for the likes of paps and wicks to make impact without being overwhelmed. It might end up looking untidy, but teams know what to do to us there so it will always be a slogfest. Just get it forward quickly and it will inevitably equate to more scoreboard impact in the end.

Last edited:
I probably sound like a broken record but it all comes down to the SCG. Its easier to play that pressure game on us there, it forces the likes of McD, paps, wicks out to the wider expanses. Buddy commanded the guts of the forward line, and when there's a lot of defensive pressure there's really only room for one focal target down there. Everytime McD presented he was hugging boundry line, not much else he could've done. I honestly think on a bigger ground we would've overwhelmed GWS and Essendon comprehensively.

imo when playing at the SCG we need to ditch focusing on methodical hitting targets, trying to find the overlap style, and just play the territory game. It's exactly what GWS and Essendon did when going forward. Keep all forwards ahead of the ball and bang it in there. It may have seemed like we were doing that v GWS and kept failing, but that was because the long kick only came after piss farting around with it trying to be methodical in the middle from defence, it gave them the chance to set up defensively, hence our long kick would go wide and shallow, too late. Getting it in there quick will give our forwards more space for the likes of paps and wicks to make impact without being overwhelmed. It might end up looking untidy, but teams know what to do to us there so it will always be a slogfest. Just get it forward quickly and it will inevitably equate to more scoreboard impact in the end.

Makes a lot of sense. Couple of points:

* Buddy loves getting hit up lace out but he is equally adept at finding and scoring from chaos/ground ball gets.
* Work on our game plan at the SCG I am guessing is a priority for DP and McVeigh.
* Agree a lot of our lead up from general play to I50 is static. Even if we cannot hit up short targets I would still prefer we play on from a mark.
* We need to get as much spread on the Fwd line as possible. Heeney was avoiding big pack marking contests. I am not sure Haywood (however well he played - which he did!) does the same. LMac being consigned to making repeat leads on the boundary line does little for the team or the youngster.

Logan needs to learn how to get busy when he's not kicking goals. It's a team game after all. He could still contribute but right now he doesn't have a B-side to his game.

Good! write up thankyou for that really interested on following Sheather progress glad to know he was busy in the contest.

How would you describe the standard compared to NEAFL?
Thanks for the nice feedback. I thought it was a rather good standard, to be expected I guess, given the number of AFL senior players. I didn't watch that much NEAFL but this match seemed like a somewhat lesser version of an AFL game. Poor camera work and poor commentary compared to AFL, but a lot of Swans players (and a few Giants) looked very good. I hope this new VFL competition will be good for our reserves. Sheather is a slick mover, could be very good.

Makes a lot of sense. Couple of points:

* Buddy loves getting hit up lace out but he is equally adept at finding and scoring from chaos/ground ball gets.
* Work on our game plan at the SCG I am guessing is a priority for DP and McVeigh.
* Agree a lot of our lead up from general play to I50 is static. Even if we cannot hit up short targets I would still prefer we play on from a mark.
* We need to get as much spread on the Fwd line as possible. Heeney was avoiding big pack marking contests. I am not sure Haywood (however well he played - which he did!) does the same. LMac being consigned to making repeat leads on the boundary line does little for the team or the youngster.
Our general play so far has been excellent, run and gun, hitting up targets, finding space etc and I definitely want it to become our identity, but as we've seen it doesn't fly on the SCG. When things become tight we need to be able to match it and revert to that territory game. Play defensively (contrary to what people desire). I'd back our blokes with an open ground to work into every day of the week.

Actually looking very forward to this weeks game. I think it'll be very open. GC will probably try to match essendon and GWS with a defensive set up. But at metricon it won't work, we'll pick them off. And i doubt it'll work for any other team at any other ground except the SCG. The SCG is when you need to surprise them and set up defensively. Let them come forward to you like adelaide did, and slap them working into an open ground.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back