Preview Sydney Swans vs Gold Coast Suns, Saturday April 24 @ Metricon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papley missed training today and is in doubt now. Hope he gets up, we can’t take a trick at the moment.

In positive injury news for the Swans, ruckman Sam Naismith is edging closer to a return to the playing field, partaking in parts of match simulation in his recovery from an ACL injury sustained last season.

You think so. Stephens was the medical Sub. He needs to go back to get some game time in the resies.

Blakey has to learn to run both ways. He has done this on several occasions now. I the game against Bombers he was very slack at minding his player and both players who played on him were instrumental in the Bombers comeback. He needs to learn to defend as well as attack. I would prefer he learnt that in the reserves.

Rowbottom has to come back so somebody must go out. Two of the changes are forced due to injury. So McLean, Sinclair & Rowbottom will come in anyway. The only other one is Hewett. George is being played out of position and I would like him to go back into the reserves and play mids, not back.

Mcdonald is struggling at the moment. In the last 2 matches he has a total of 12 disposals combined. He could go back to the reserves and regain some confidence or we could leave him at the mercy of experienced defenders like Melbourne left Jack Watts to fend for himself. Eventually Logan will work it out but atm he is struggling.

I have changed my mind about Colin O'Riordan. I think Ling would be better after viewing the reserves.

These are not wholesale changes. They are structural and balance changes. Hewett is not a defender and that was obvious last week. Not only that the score flattered us. If they had kicked straight they would have won by some 6 or 7 goals. This is reality. It was actually a very poor performance. Our mids were destroyed, 130-88 disposals. If your mids can't get their hands on the ball you have little or no chance of winning. Don't even bother quoting clearances. There are clearances and then there are clearances to advantage and we got very few of those. Too many clearances were cut off and they attacked by secondary clearance which because it did not result directly from the hit out is not recognised as a clearance but in general play.

I am not saying the team needs to change too much. Three ins, 2 forced and one that is imperative, Rowbottom, as he was the missing link in the mids. The other two, Hewett and Macdonald have been explained. We could retain both of the last two or one but what does that do to the confidence of those players? Hewett got the hardest job in footy, other than Dusty, in a position he is obviously not comfortable in.

I hope bringing a few new guys in, who are playing in their positions, will help rejuvenate the team. Get more energy. The players who go out get to play in the reserves and get form back or practice the lessons they need to learn. Hewett gets to go back to the mids where he belongs.

Stop thinking Kennedy is the Messiah, he isn't. He is an old mid who is averaging 10 less disposals than he did last year so far. Joey has been a wonderful player but the signs are that he is nearing the end. That is just fact. He is 32, turns 33 this year. That is old for a mid. Usually they are banished to the forward line by this stage. We win less with him than without him. Our midfield was more unpredictable last year when he was injured. That is fact not fiction or legend.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

i can see what you're proposing are not wholesale changes, my argument is they're largely unnecessary changes ...
as myself and others have been saying all season, this group of young players represents a very potentially bright future and, having reached 4-0, now 4-1, it's arguable we're ahead of schedule, but this is still a building year (not a rebuilding year!) ...
i just don't see the value of making three and four changes every week, just for the sake of talking about it on big footy, as being helpful in the context of our next 3-5 years ...
we've already clearly improved on the past few seasons, several younger players are showing they're on the right trajectory, and our first-season players look outstanding ... we're not being flogged week in, week out, we're not in any way desperate, so (repeating myself) i maintain it's counterproductive to be dropping players A, B and C one week, bringing in players X, Y and Z, then bringing back players A, B and C when? and for whom? then maybe we drop players X and Y, bring back A and B ... it's basically musical chairs that does nothing for players' confidence or the cohesion of a group of players clearly developing the right way ...
yes, players will be down, they're young and inconsistent for various reasons, but they'll be lifted by other players who may have been down but have bounced back, that's how great teams work ...
once again, i'll cite brisbane ... several years back, a young, developing side with potential was being flogged regularly but now has evolved to be one of the top 4-5 ... we are already ahead of that young brisbane team, so i'd like to think we'll stay ahead of their curve

so, again, we are 4-1, we are not remotely close to panic stations so i don't agree with anything other than injury-enforced changes
the selectors may see it differently and i'd only hope that doesn't trigger some 'nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyaaahs' from certain hysterical posters ...
longer term, i think this team could well deliver our next premiership (and if tedeski is reading this, that suggests it's still in the franklin timeframe ... )

Last edited:
Brenton Speed, Gerard Healy, Alastair Lynch and Ben Dixon.

Training pictures up, if green is team B Campbell, Blakey, Stephens & Rowbottom are all playing reserves. Sinclair & McLean are coming into the team & Hayward is playing in the midfield

They often have best 22 guys in green bibs as midfielders to make sure they all get a run (there are only so many spots for midfielders), so I suspect Blakey and Rowbottom at least would be in the side despite having green bibs on.

I think it will a real slog. Man on man defence from GCS, as they have made us work for several year.

If they do any zone we will cut it up. Swans by 8 points, it is going to be ugly.

PS: Hewett is a real good mid when allowed by coach. 3 games when JPK was out (2019) showed his ability. 29 possies, 3.5 CCL, really connected to outside players.

Lloyd is a myth, (at the GWS game) weak around the ball, pointing man and abusing or managing Gulden, who was not happy, and no leadership with required. Stalled all attacks, waiting for everyone to work for him and poor DE. (Yes i admit my bias, he is the most overated player on our list)

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Training pictures up, if green is team B Campbell, Blakey, Stephens & Rowbottom are all playing reserves. Sinclair & McLean are coming into the team & Hayward is playing in the midfield

Might be an evening up of the numbers thing but certainly it looks as though Sinkers has the gig over Amartey.

Nice to see Naismith in amongst it too.

Rowbottom will play.

I think if true that Horse was going to rest Logan & Braeden, I don't think that would change just because of injuries. If they need a rest then they need a rest. I think there's a good chance we could see Sinclair AND Amartey in this week.

Rowbottom in for Campbell.
McLean in for Buddy.
Amartey in for Hickey*
Sinclair in for Logan*

*the last two could be swapped. I don't like the idea of Sinclair playing forward, but if Horse thinks he can get more out of him than a cooked Logan, that's not an unreasonable conclusion.

Rowbottom will play.

I think if true that Horse was going to rest Logan & Braeden, I don't think that would change just because of injuries. If they need a rest then they need a rest. I think there's a good chance we could see Sinclair AND Amartey in this week.

Rowbottom in for Campbell.
McLean in for Buddy.
Amartey in for Hickey*
Sinclair in for Logan*

*the last two could be swapped. I don't like the idea of Sinclair playing forward, but if Horse thinks he can get more out of him than a cooked Logan, that's not an unreasonable conclusion.

Who replaces Campbell in defence though?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who replaces Campbell in defence though?

Campbell isn't really playing a defensive role, he's there to accumulate and distribute from the back half. Easily replaceable with a Blakey or Florent, who have been winning most of their positions in the back half this year, and will have to do so again with Rowbottom's return in the midfield.

Campbell isn't really playing a defensive role, he's there to accumulate and distribute from the back half. Easily replaceable with a Blakey or Florent, who have been winning most of their positions in the back half this year, and will have to do so again with Rowbottom's return in the midfield.

Not so sure about that - Campbell has been running around with forwards. He got dragged a few times right back to the goal square quite a number of times to exploit him (to his credit he did pretty well defensively imo). We'd need someone to be a defender, we always have 7 ready to go.

Not so sure about that - Campbell has been running around with forwards. He got dragged a few times right back to the goal square quite a number of times to exploit him (to his credit he did pretty well defensively imo). We'd need someone to be a defender, we always have 7 ready to go.

He's had to defend for sure but I don't think he's getting any hard match-ups. Defending and winning one on ones is not why he's in the team, more a byproduct of him playing back there, and so I think it's still simple to replace him with a Florent or Blakey who can offer about as much. I don't know if it will or won't work, I just think that's what will happen all things considered (Rowbottom coming back into the midfield, Florent & Blakey winning plenty of the ball in the back half this year, Campbell needing a rest.) It sort of all fits.

Bell is the best option to turn him into a defender. Hard enough, willing, good tank and we need to harden up our defence. I dont see him as a mid or HFF.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back