Preview Sydney Swans vs Gold Coast Suns, Saturday April 24 @ Metricon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Logan is a 19 year old key forward and Braeden is a 19 year old with a tank we already had question marks about going into the season and it's now round 6. Resting both is a wise choice, especially as both are best 22 and this is the most winnable game we will have for weeks.
I would have agreed if we weren't face with extreme circumstances of sudden injuries. They're 19 not 119. Their last game was a week ago. They'll be fine, it's not like they're getting the week off. Replacing them for a makeshift jumble of players absolutely takes a s**t on our structure.

Yeah I think Mills, Jmac and Florent will help out down back a bit. As that seventh man.
Blakey on the wing and row inside.

I would have agreed if we weren't face with extreme circumstances of sudden injuries. They're 19 not 119. Their last game was a week ago. They'll be fine, it's not like they're getting the week off. Replacing them for a makeshift jumble of players absolutely takes a sh*t on our structure.

What do you mean replacing them for a makeshift jumble of players? Heeney and Rowbottom are all locks in the 22 and the three talls are needed to replace the three talls who are out. Someone was gonna have to make way, makes sense for it to be the guys who need a rest anyway.

What do you mean replacing them for a makeshift jumble of players? Heeney and Rowbottom are all locks in the 22 and the three talls are needed to replace the three talls who are out. Someone was gonna have to make way, makes sense for it to be the guys who need a rest anyway.
Idc who's considered best 22. I'm more concerned who plays what role. Who takes over Campbell's position? It will be makeshift. Why wasn't ling given the task.

Idc who's considered best 22. I'm more concerned who plays what role. Who takes over Campbell's position? It will be makeshift. Why wasn't ling given the task.

With all due respect to Campbell, if we kept playing him when he was clearly cooked, then I could've gone out there and played Campbell's position better. Nothing is gained by playing kids who are gassed. What would your solution have been? Keep Heeney and Rowbottom out of the side?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not overly happy with the drastic changes tbh, completely puts our structure into the bin. A nice GC day could've been what Logan needed. And although they're following whatever protocol they're going with in resting the youngsters, in this circumstance especially with McCartin being out I don't get why they've gone ahead giving Campbell a rest. I highly doubt they're knackered, and funny how Gulden isn't given the same protocol.
I think Campbell might having been feeling the pinch of late.
RD 2 79% Time on ground, RD 3 70%, RD 4 66%, RD 5 62%
McDonald also dropped last week from the mid 70s previously to 60% TOG.
Gulden on the other hand 91% TOG last week after being in the mid 80s previously.

Now sometimes TOG can be impacted by structure etc, but Campbell's drop off is fairly linear.
As for Logan I think form is also a factor and Heeney & McLean in for he & Buddy seems reasonable to me.

I think Florent will become the 7th back, allowing Rowbottom/Warner to rotate through the wing (along with Blakey & McInerney).

With all due respect to Campbell, if we kept playing him when he was clearly cooked, then I could've gone out there and played Campbell's position better. Nothing is gained by playing kids who are gassed. What would your solution have been? Keep Heeney and Rowbottom out of the side?
Heeney and McLean essentially replace Franklin and Logan, so that's fine. Rowbottom comes in for who?? A slingshotting half back flanker... Now we need to unsettle McInerney to probably go back there and completely lose his attacking ability. It should've been Ling in imo.

If Rowbottom is so good and is required in the team, then take out the next worst mid.

Campbell not named in VFL team. Other three emergencies are. Same last week with Stephens who ended up being the sub. Official site saying VFL game watchable live on Swans site.

This will be BIG game to see who sticks around for the rest of the year.

There will be 4-5 spots lost to players not currently in, Franklin, Rampe, McCartin, and maybe Campbell and McDonald, will all come back later in the year, and it'll be up to the players currently in to hold onto their spots.

I think Campbell might having been feeling the pinch of late.
RD 2 79% Time on ground, RD 3 70%, RD 4 66%, RD 5 62%
McDonald also dropped last week from the mid 70s previously to 60% TOG.
Gulden on the other hand 91% TOG last week after being in the mid 80s previously.

Now sometimes TOG can be impacted by structure etc, but Campbell's drop off is fairly linear.
As for Logan I think form is also a factor and Heeney & McLean in for he & Buddy seems reasonable to me.

I think Florent will become the 7th back, allowing Rowbottom/Warner to rotate through the wing (along with Blakey & McInerney).
I get the whole resting them protocol. But we have unforseen circumstances. I genuinely think we're worse off reshuffling our whole team structure than if we had kept them in for a week longer.

I get the whole resting them protocol. But we have unforseen circumstances. I genuinely think we're worse off reshuffling our whole team structure than if we had kept them in for a week longer.

It seemed like the preseason focused on this new structure, so it could be easier to slot in, as there's clearly buy-in from the players

I know Mills is now officially a midfielder but the only way I see it working without having to shuffle everything is...

Mills to HBF
Rowbottom to the centre
Heeney to HFF
McLean to FF
Brand to CHB
Sinclair to Ruck

If we're trying to retrofit other players into the half back flank I think it will unbalance the team in other areas. We Also need some leadership in the defence that I think Mills would provide.

Please mate you a
I would have agreed if we weren't face with extreme circumstances of sudden injuries. They're 19 not 119. Their last game was a week ago. They'll be fine, it's not like they're getting the week off. Replacing them for a makeshift jumble of players absolutely takes a sh*t on our structure.

Agree. The amount of selectors on this Board that want ****ing teenagers rested is astonishing. Call it what it is. If they are not cutting it and struggling like McDonald clearly has the last couple of weeks then they are dropped not rested. We have seen what him and Campbell are capable of and they will be both 200 plus game players but rest them ????? Also agree with current injury list both could have been persevered with for another week or 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back