Preview Sydney Swans vs GWS, Saturday April 17 @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling rowbum comes in, mills gets sent into the backline. And braeden gets given a spell for melican who comes in to sure us up defensively, that would still give mills the chance to pinch hit in the mid.

The other alternative is maybe Reid gets sent to defence and McLean comes in.

Heeney for Hayward is the easy one.
Mills ain’t going back. Not a prayer.

Mills ain’t going back. Not a prayer.
The only guarantee he wouldn't go back is if rowbum wasn't available. You've got a seasoned defender in mills with the extenuating circumstances of your best defender being out. And with a mid in rowbum coming in, it's only logical that mills goes back for this week.

I have a feeling rowbum comes in, mills gets sent into the backline. And braeden gets given a spell for melican who comes in to sure us up defensively, that would still give mills the chance to pinch hit in the mid.

The other alternative is maybe Reid gets sent to defence and McLean comes in.

Heeney for Hayward is the easy one.
Yep.. kind of makes sense.
Mills and Melican into the backline for Rampe and Campbell. - lose and gain experience, height, rebounding qualities..
Mills did say in an interview a few weeks ago that he might still go back if needed.. he's needed
Agree Heeney - Hayward
We'll see this Saturday.

two Big injuries. So Ill only tip the Swans by 25pts. Logan to kick 5 and win the rising star (Ill keep tipping that until it happens)

IMO Horse won't drop Blakey or anyone for that matter. An unforced change on top of two forced changes is highly unlikely for a team travelling well.

Melican for Rampe is a given.

If Rowbottom is deemed fit, it will be an interesting scenario where Horse may have to choose between replacing Heeney with the better player (Rowbottom) or the more like-for-like/structurally appropriate (Hayward.)
There is another option that isn't getting air time.
Melican in to play on second tall. Ie Melican replaces Rampe.
Campbell either rests or preferably pushes forward.
Mills pushes back to provide the leadership in the backline.
Rowbottom takes Mills place in the midfield and Heeney's place in the 22.
A little re-organization might look stronger than straight replacements.
We need to get through at least 4 rounds so let's look for the best solution rather than a band-aid.

The only guarantee he wouldn't go back is if rowbum wasn't available. You've got a seasoned defender in mills with the extenuating circumstances of your best defender being out. And with a mid in rowbum coming in, it's only logical that mills goes back for this week.
It’s more to do with structure and not changing what’s been working in the middle. He trained all year with the mids and has attended a shed load of centre bounce. Can’t see it happening as it also undermines the rest of the backs on the list.

There is another option that isn't getting air time.
Melican in to play on second tall. Ie Melican replaces Rampe.
Campbell either rests or preferably pushes forward.
Mills pushes back to provide the leadership in the backline.
Rowbottom takes Mills place in the midfield and Heeney's place in the 22.
A little re-organization might look stronger than straight replacements.
We need to get through at least 4 rounds so let's look for the best solution rather than a band-aid.

That is not dissimilar to what I posted earlier today. I don't think Horse will make any unforced changes, which means there should only be two inclusions. Melican is the lock.

Whether Horse goes with ability (Rowbottom) or structure (Hayward) to replace Heeney will be what decides the other in.*

*If you ask me it's a no brainer - Rowbottom should be one of the first names picked every week. Depends on his availability of course.

He probably has multiple Brownlow votes in the opening games as a midfielder. Yep, not going back now.

He should have been there for the last two seasons. Glad he’s having a breakout year.

That is not dissimilar to what I posted earlier today. I don't think Horse will make any unforced changes, which means there should only be two inclusions. Melican is the lock.

Whether Horse goes with ability (Rowbottom) or structure (Hayward) to replace Heeney will be what decides the other in.*

*If you ask me it's a no brainer - Rowbottom should be one of the first names picked every week. Depends on his availability of course.
The main, maybe only reason to pick Hayward is if you do what I said but rest Campbell and bring Hayward in to mark up on Haynes as per last year. That would make sense from a team perspective.

The main, maybe only reason to pick Hayward is if you do what I said but rest Campbell and bring Hayward in to mark up on Haynes as per last year. That would make sense from a team perspective.

Yeah, but I could also see why Horse wouldn't wanna mess with the 3 talls, 3 smalls, and 1 medium forward set up that's worked so well. So there's another reason to play Hayward. He's literally the most similar to Heeney as a player.

I don't think Campbell, or anyone, will need a rest. 9 day break should be enough for the kids to be right to go again.

I personally think that Melican and Mills would more than bolster the back-line, and Rowbottom and Warner could more than make up for Mills' absence in the midfield. The forward line can manage without a medium forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems to me the general consensus is that Rowbottom should be selected, with the caveat 'if fit'.

My question is what does 'if fit' mean in this case?

Last played March 20th. Game this week on 17th April, so basically a month out.
I'm not sure what 'alternative' training (eg anti-gravity treadmill) he has been able to undertake, but I'd imagine traditional training (eg running/cycling) would be limited.

Now we don't know if the bone bruising has sorted itself out, but even if it has I would hope we'd be relatively conservative with his selection.

I can feel the slings and arrows coming my way, but when he is over the actual injury, I wouldn't mind giving him a run in the ressies first, just to get some 'match legs'.

EDIT;
PS Noticed Rowbottom was in the training pics from Monday (12/4), but seemingly only guy in leggings, everybody else looked to be in shorts.
Maybe his legs just get cold.

PPS Also fair amount of strapping around Hayward's right knee (as there was in the practice match on the weekend).

Last edited:
I think we might try to exploit their tall forwards with our run from our backline and outside mids. So I would keep Campbell and Blakey/Mcinerney/Florent. Rather than change our structure too much because we are worried about their forward line.

I would probably bring in Melican and Hayward as direct replacements. I think we need to back Melican to perform as the 2nd tall defender and Hayward as a medium forward.

According to the stats someone posted, it was mainly Kennedy, Parker, Warner and Mills attending centre bounces. So I would rather keep Mills in midfield rather than shifting him around. Though I am not sure how we fit Rowbottom back in once he recovers. Whether we select one less outside midfielder or forward.

I only saw bits of the GWS Collingwood game. But they seemed to focus on contested ball with their inside mids. Chipping it around to retain possession in their backline. And seemed fairly unstructured in their forward line relying on their talls to take a mark or Greene or Hill feeding off loose balls.

Last edited:
As good as Rampe is, I'm pretty comfortable with Melican being his replacement. Expecting Melican to have a strong performance
Last year when Rampe was out we had both Mills and Fox providing leadership. With Fox still unavailable and Mills in the mids my concern is that we could "lose our shape" in defence or end up with mismatches. No disrespect but Greene on Lloyd or Campbell could be a disaster.
This is my main reason for suggesting Mills go back. Not to play on Greene but to organise.
Horse might decide to keep.that up his sleeve depending on where he thinks Mills could be best deployed during the game.

GWS has unveiled a new charcoal jumper which will be worn against the Swans every season.

MicrosoftTeams-image-31-.jpg

Smart marketing with the guernsey, not so sure about the associated 'never surrender' hashtag.

Does that only apply to games against the Swans and will they turn to jelly and become Giant surrender monkeys against other teams?

GWS has unveiled a new charcoal jumper which will be worn against the Swans every season.

View attachment 1101650

Smart marketing with the guernsey, not so sure about the associated 'never surrender' hashtag.

Does that only apply to games against the Swans and will they turn to jelly and become Giant surrender monkeys against other teams?
The GWS marketing department comes over as incredibly thirsty.

View attachment 1101650

They look like s**t, next

View attachment 1101650

they're going for some kind of port adelaide thing ... 'never tear us apart', 'never surrender' ... maybe they should've gone with a ric astley 'never gonna give you up' and tried to hang on to some players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back