Opinion Team '95' vs Team of today

Remove this Banner Ad

So first day back at work, and it’s dead as a dodo, So a fellow Tiger colleague and I decided to work out whether our team in 95 would beat our team of today?
Now I know that the game has changed since then and that its hard to compare but it was fun looking at some of the possible match-ups that would occur.
We came up with this, If you think there are players out of position or we have left any out please contribute.

Also we have not included a bench but I’m sure you guys will add your input.

cA2Xn.jpg

current line up wins IMO. 95 line up would get wind burn from the pace of the current line up. ;)
I agree with you that pace would be a big difference, But there is still a bit of pace in the 95 team, Maxfield, Knights, Campbell,

If '95 had the same facilities as current day players, they'd win hands down. In fact, I'll still back them in. So 1995 team for mine. Harder edge and better skilled at this point in time.

Good thread...
It's easy to forget the quality we had in that line-up despite the crap way that year ended.
That 95 centre line and followers look damn good up against the 2013 version and it's hard to predict which one would win!
I reckon 1995 wins it due to being more 'seasoned'.
2014 Tigers would smash em though....;)

I think the 95 team would win. Would slowly but surely grind us down through sheer toughness. They were a hard, seasoned outfit that lot.

yeah but at the end of the day when they came up against super slick teams, players like Howat, Pressa etc would not know what day it was...that is why IMO the current line up would bamboozle them..the current mid field would have a party if they tagged Brodders.

Lol, imagine what Scotty Turner would do to Jack or Cotch if they got in his way. Freezer would be a good match up on Martin as well. I don't reckon Martin would get a kick on Freezer. Kellaway on Cotch? Some good match ups would be happening.

Any team with Matthew Knights in his prime, beats a team without Matthew Knights.
And that is one tough-dog backline in '95. I reckon Scott Turner could keep JR goal-less.
R.I.P Jamie Tape. :footy:

Hey a question to OP, which set of AFL rules we playing under? '95 or '13? Please let it be '95, and we'll see who changes their mind.

It depends if we are playing using today's rules or the rules back in 95.
For instance, Turner would get 8 weeks for his hit on O'Donell.

Tuggs it was clearly a shepard. O'Donnell should have got weeks for head butting Scotty's shoulder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tuggs it was clearly a shepard. O'Donnell should have got weeks for head butting Scotty's shoulder.
Just a pity it was a nice guy in O'Donnell. I would have much rathered it was Lloyd.

Just a pity it was a nice guy in O'Donnell. I would have much rathered it was Lloyd.

That's the irony, there was outrage on O'Donnell, but imagine if it had of been Hird. Place would have rioted.

I will never forget as a young fella, I was with Scotty and his nephew and I told him I believed it was an accident etc etc ( obviously due to my admiration for the man) I then asked him if he meant it, obviously expecting him to tell me "no", but he just looked at me, smiled, winked and said, yes! :eek:

He was a champion guy, did alot for me as a kid, so I still tell myself it was an accident.

I will never forget as a young fella, I was with Scotty and his nephew and I told him I believed it was an accident etc etc ( obviously due to my admiration for the man) I then asked him if he meant it, obviously expecting him to tell me "no", but he just looked at me, smiled, winked and said, yes! :eek:

He was a champion guy, did alot for me as a kid, so I still tell myself it was an accident.

And my love for him grew a little more. If you see him again, give him a kiss for me. #no homo

I must have been watching other games but I can say with some certainty that yeah Scotty was one tough mudder, but yeah too he got torn new ones by slick FFs...so the JR match up wouldnt be as clear cut as cb suggests...in fact JR would run rings around him. Scotty had trouble with the slick smart arse FFs.

If '95 had the same facilities as current day players, they'd win hands down. In fact, I'll still back them in. So 1995 team for mine. Harder edge and better skilled at this point in time.
I agree. We missed the baot big time back then. Scotty Turner was having a great year and on that form a match up with Jack would be a ripper.

Going by this line-up only, with current players (in bold) just on last years form-

Even would be, Morris/Naish. Rance/Charles. Houli/Rogers. Cotch/Cambo (play wide of each other and rack em up) and maybe Tuck/Brodders.

Win would be Merenda/injured Grimes. Daffy/Newman. Deledio/Bond (just). Maxfield/Martin. Richo (8 games) over Chaplin. Freezer/Edwards easy. Tape/Vickery. Kellaway/Edwards. Prescot/injured King. Reiwoldt/Turner. M Gale/Nahas. Maric/B Gale. Knights/Foley

So for me 5 even, 3 current and 10 from 95

Two things on the 95 team were Jamie Tape, taken to young, and Michael Gale kicking the wrong way in the prelim against the Cats. lol.

The Modra types and quicker guys did do Turner in, but, it's more the checking tactics that I'm not sure Jack could deal with at this stage. If its '95 rules, I'm backing Scotty. Current day, I'd back Jack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back