Opinion Team '95' vs Team of today

Remove this Banner Ad

Get real that 95 side is full of garbage players

Our current side is far superior.
I agree there Rammbo- the 2013 model would win and win by some margin too IMO. This upcoming season will prove it, as I expect a very strong season. Fantastic midfield, average/good defence and a much better showing from the forwards. Will be a very good year for us IMO. May be proven wrong but I sit here very very confident of a strong showing in 2013.

Justin Charles is getting a bit of a raw deal by some. He was outstanding in 96
Agree before caught Charles would clearly be in front of Vickery as a CHF , Vivkery has no exposed form as a CHF .
Also think some might be underselling how good of a wingman Maxwell was . As a winger I'd have him clearly ahead of Lids and Grigg .
Reiwoldt ahead of Richo as a FF , Cotchin ahead of Campbell as a midfielder sees the current side just ahead of the 95 side which had some ordinary disposers of the footy in it .

In what world is Riewoldt a better full forward than Richardson? Richo at his best would be kicking 90+ every year with the midfield group we have now. People seem to forget that he had the ball delivered to his feet and over his head for most of his career. With a quality midfield delivering Rick the ball, I'm not sure there would be many defenders who could have stopped the big bastard. Maybe I am biased (have always been on the Richardson bandwagon unlike some who jumped on after 2005 or so) but Jack isn't even in Richo's class. Not many are.

I can't believe Richo kicked as many goals as he did during our bad years. Yes he was getting most of the delivery but by * did he work tirelessly to destroy his opponents with multiple leads. Hardest working Richmond player I have ever seen and the 2nd best CHF I have seen in my life time.

Agree before caught Charles would clearly be in front of Vickery as a CHF , Vivkery has no exposed form as a CHF .
Also think some might be underselling how good of a wingman Maxwell was . As a winger I'd have him clearly ahead of Lids and Grigg .
Reiwoldt ahead of Richo as a FF , Cotchin ahead of Campbell as a midfielder sees the current side just ahead of the 95 side which had some ordinary disposers of the footy in it .

Ahead of Lids.... you have to be joking. Seriously you dont avarage 13 possesions a game and getting anywhere near the influence Lids has on a game. Maxfield was only just making it in AFL in 95.... he never really put it together that year consistanly. If we are talking about Maxfield at the Swans( 15 possesions a game) then still he falls way short of Lids.
Up against Grigg well I;d like to romanticize about how good maxfield was.... but I would still take Grigg. Infact Grigg would have been a superstar off a wing in the 90's.

Ahead of Lids.... you have to be joking. Seriously you dont avarage 13 possesions a game and getting anywhere near the influence Lids has on a game. Maxfield was only just making it in AFL in 95.... he never really put it together that year consistanly. If we are talking about Maxfield at the Swans( 15 possesions a game) then still he falls way short of Lids.
Up against Grigg well I;d like to romanticize about how good maxfield was.... but I would still take Grigg. Infact Grigg would have been a superstar off a wing in the 90's.
Read again Nut you appear to have missed the bit where I said as a winger . :rolleyes:

In what world is Riewoldt a better full forward than Richardson? Richo at his best would be kicking 90+ every year with the midfield group we have now. People seem to forget that he had the ball delivered to his feet and over his head for most of his career. With a quality midfield delivering Rick the ball, I'm not sure there would be many defenders who could have stopped the big bastard. Maybe I am biased (have always been on the Richardson bandwagon unlike some who jumped on after 2005 or so) but Jack isn't even in Richo's class. Not many are.

I can't believe Richo kicked as many goals as he did during our bad years. Yes he was getting most of the delivery but by **** did he work tirelessly to destroy his opponents with multiple leads. Hardest working Richmond player I have ever seen and the 2nd best CHF I have seen in my life time.

Richo's best was better than Carey IMO. :eek: Best contested Mark of the 90's and 00's was our Richo IMO. Would have kicked 1000 goals if he could kick straight... regardless he still ahs kicked more goals on the MCG than any other player in history.

Read again Nut you appear to have missed the bit where I said as a winger . :rolleyes:

Since when has Lids played off a wing.... even if he did he would still pants Maxfield in every aspect of the game..... Both Grigg and Lids have about 4 inches of hieght on porr old Maxfield. Even Kingy is taller than him. Maxfield played mostly off the bench in 95'. His influence on most games was non existant .... except for "Bruces" goal.

I can't believe Richo kicked as many goals as he did during our bad years. Yes he was getting most of the delivery but by **** did he work tirelessly to destroy his opponents with multiple leads. Hardest working Richmond player I have ever seen and the 2nd best CHF I have seen in my life time.

His contested marking was top of the tree as well.

His own teammates were the only ones that could stop him.

Shame he didnt get to play in a genuine good side (potentially would hav been a much superior player if he did imo)

Mentally, Jack has Richo covered IMO. Much cooler under pressure. If I had to bet my life on one of them to kick a goal it would be Jack. Jack has an uncanny ability to take raw adrenaline and channel it into brilliance. Richo just used to get fired up and do dumb s**t like miss out on the full from 10 out straight in front.

'Butch' Gale would have King and Edwards covered on his own.
Was a terrific recruit for us!!
Superior to King and Edwards!

I'm a butch fan, but the match up doesn't work for him, especially Edwards would run him ragged

Richo's best was better than Carey IMO. :eek: Best contested Mark of the 90's and 00's was our Richo IMO. Would have kicked 1000 goals if he could kick straight... regardless he still ahs kicked more goals on the MCG than any other player in history.

I rate them pretty close together but Carey was immense. Perhaps Richo would have been considered to be as good if he had won premierships in good sides. But I am still happy with the 282 games of pure heart we got out of him :thumbsu: At least Richmond supporters will always remember how good he truly was.

I will never forget as a young fella, I was with Scotty and his nephew and I told him I believed it was an accident etc etc ( obviously due to my admiration for the man) I then asked him if he meant it, obviously expecting him to tell me "no", but he just looked at me, smiled, winked and said, yes! :eek:

He was a champion guy, did alot for me as a kid, so I still tell myself it was an accident.

thats why all tigers love him - out and out champion. he owned that day!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That 95 team was A TEAM.

Played for the jumper.
I reckon the result would be very close.

Maxfield,Turner,Knights,the 2 Gale brothers,Rogers.
Alot of toughness in that 95 side.

Michael Gale was an absolute beauty and a great bloke as well.

Northey versus Hardwick.

And M Gale at his best on the wing would be a bonus for us now.

Since when has Lids played off a wing.... even if he did he would still pants Maxfield in every aspect of the game..... Both Grigg and Lids have about 4 inches of hieght on porr old Maxfield. Even Kingy is taller than him. Maxfield played mostly off the bench in 95'. His influence on most games was non existant .... except for "Bruces" goal.
Start of 2010 and for as good a player lids is elsewhere he is not a winger .

Don't disagree Richo was a better contested mark nor forward for that matter, however Jack is a better full forward IMO . Richo was a terrible shot for goal and that is a full forwards primarily role .

I really don't want to dignify the argument riewoldt v richo. I will say im a massive jack fan but sheesh richo is a mile ahead at this point. Jack has to learn to dominate the very best defenders, heck i saw richo kick bags on all of them, mcpharlin, leppitch, silvagni, pavlich he did a number on all of them . Jack has had his injuries in recent seasons he has a better footy brain than richo and a much better kick...he certainly has the ability to lose the gap penty

'95' Team easily IMO. Always said the mid to late 90's team of ours, is the best team not to play finals on a regular basis in the modern era.

Start of 2010 and for as good a player lids is elsewhere he is not a winger .

Winger is now just a midfield role.... are you saying Lids cant play Wing??? are you saying Lids couldnt play wing in 95???? seriously give it a rest. Maxfield was and never will be half the player Lids is. I'm not going to debate with you no more ....

If only there were more players in our team like Knights to hit him on the tit. Was underrated by opposition supporters because most only saw him on TV and missed how many good leads he put in that were either ignored, flew over his head, landed 2 metres in front of him or missed him completely. The media focused on his body language on field but fair dinkum, if I was working that hard every single week and getting that kind of service regularly, I would have thrown many more tantrums than he did. His kicking for goal wasn't amazing but I reckon it would compare pretty favourably with Buddy without the same level of criticism.

That 95 team was A TEAM.

Played for the jumper.
I reckon the result would be very close.

Maxfield,Turner,Knights,the 2 Gale brothers,Rogers.
Alot of toughness in that 95 side.

Michael Gale was an absolute beauty and a great bloke as well.

Northey versus Hardwick.

Johnny Howat ? :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back