Opinion Team '95' vs Team of today

Remove this Banner Ad

Kicked 27. 3 in 8 games in 95. What a season it was shaping up to be for the big fella.
I think we could have gone all the way if the big man hadn't of went down DAMN SCG!!!

Richo would kick 10 on Chaplin.

Richo could kick a bag on David Dench...But let's settle for Richo kicking 5 on Troy...
We don't want to crush his confidence before he starts... ;)

'95 by 4-6 goals

Great midfield battle but the '95 backs would keep the '13 forwards quiet enough and nobody from the '13 side would be able to contain The Cho

Be interesting to see an age/games played comparison between the two sides

A lot of nous in that '95 side

Based on 2012 performances I would say '95. The odd thing is though, I would think the 95 team would struggle against tougher sides like Sydney and Geelong which the 2012 team competed well against.

Then again in 2013 the Tigers could rip the comp apart and we would all be changing our tunes.

So first day back at work, and it’s dead as a dodo, So a fellow Tiger colleague and I decided to work out whether our team in 95 would beat our team of today?
Now I know that the game has changed since then and that its hard to compare but it was fun looking at some of the possible match-ups that would occur.
We came up with this, If you think there are players out of position or we have left any out please contribute.

Also we have not included a bench but I’m sure you guys will add your input.

cA2Xn.jpg

Get real that 95 side is full of garbage players

Our current side is far superior.

I must have been watching other games but I can say with some certainty that yeah Scotty was one tough mudder, but yeah too he got torn new ones by slick FFs...so the JR match up wouldnt be as clear cut as cb suggests...in fact JR would run rings around him. Scotty had trouble with the slick smart arse FFs.

Over the journey, he got towelled up plenty of times (Dunstall x 17 goals one year, Ablett x 14 once or twice) but in 95 my memories are that it barely happened. If it wasn't for Silvagni, he would have been AA Full Back. 95 was his best season by a fair margin (although the 95 season seems to get better and better in my mind each year we miss the finals!)

Agree with Roachy8. 95 Tigers would win this year in a close one. Not in 2014.

Some serious overating of players such as merenda,charles,rogers,bond, tape,turner,prescott and to lesser extent daffy,naish and even maxfield at that stage of their carreers.

I do know daffy and naish did kick a few but they were found out that they wernt that good.

Maxfield really only come good with sydney and was only a flash with us.

Well if we're going on player vs player, then it's pretty even, but I think the 95 team would have them covered for toughness, but fitness, today's team would run them to the ground.

If we're going on team vs team, today's team would obliterate them.. our zones, match fitness, skills etc. of today are far superior compared to then, imo.

edit: Also, if we're using 95 rules, I still think todays would. Anyone can be rough when they want to be, especially with the amounts of adrenaline running through their veins;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

imo there is too many variables to accurately compare teams. rules,presses,fitness,zones(no rear sash:D) etc would effect the outcome. we had some very good players and some guns, in that team,playing as a team(northey why did you leave you idiot:() but i dont think they have the amount of class of what we today. too hard to call.

Looking at it purely on match ups (only change I made was Grigg in the team, he is too good to leave out. Switched him for Nahas):

RUCK
Maric vs Gale - Maric for me, Gale more a second ruck (hence the reason Dear was still in the side). Even if Dear was played, I'd have Maric over him at that point of his career

FOLLOWERS
Tuck/Foley vs Broderick/Knights - Brodders and Knights for me, Brodders has superior disposal to Tuck, and Knights beats Foley in all areas IMO

CENTER LINE
Deledio/Cotchin/Grigg vs Bond/Campbell/Maxfield - Lids/Cotch/Grigg for me, Maxfield and Bond may be a bit tougher, but todays three would burn the other three on the run for four quarters.

FLANKERS
A.Edwards/Martin vs Free/Kellaway - Edwards/Martin again, too much speed, and both tough enough to take the knocks from these two

Newman/Houli vs Daffy/Rogers - Daffy/Rogers this time. Very close, but I think the 95 boys will have them just

POCKETS
King/S.Edwards vs Prescott/M.Gale - King/Edwards, King is tough enough to hold his own, and neither would have the pace to go with Shane Edwards

Morris/Grimes vs Naish/Merenda - Morris/Grimes, both too good on their day for this pair.

KEY POSITIONS
Vickery/Reiwoldt vs Tape/Turner - Vickery/Reiwoldt. Vickery is too tall, mobile and fast for Tape. Turner would only win if he suckered Jack into a wrestling match, which could happen. As long as he leads though, he is too mobile for Turner.

Chaplin/Rance vs Charles/Richardson - Charles and Richo just on Richo. Charles would be toe to toe with Rance, was actually a decent lead up CHF, and was mobile enough to match Rance. Chappy would be destroyed by Richo though, who would run him ragged.

INTERCHANGE
Nahas/Ellis/Conca/Batchelor vs Bower/Howat/Bourke/Wigney - Young potential vs borderline at best, todays kids in a street for me.

From this, I only that the 95 boys winning in the ruck rover/rover, their half forward line, and FF. This isn't enough for me, and with their superior depth on the bench, I think the modern boys would run them around, and then pull away in the final quarter. Even assuming comparable training, the modern team has a much stronger focus on speed and skill outside a select few positions.

This is the lineup for the 2nd semi

Matthew Rogers
Nick Daffy(iffy spud)
Jamie Tape
Paul Broderick
Chris Naish
Nathan Bower(iffy spud)
Wayne Campbell
Matthew Knights
Chris Bond
Scott Turner(as i said tough but has his arse ripped a hell of alot of times by FFs)
Duncan Kellaway
Greg Dear
Justin Charles(iffy spud)
John Howat(our version of Hack Dawson)
Ashley Prescott(we have had plenty of similar iffy spuds)
Stuart Maxfield
Mark Merenda(current tigerheads would go gaga with this guys inconsistency)
Michael Gale
David Bourke(I wont elaborate)
Brendon Gale(in all honesty Benny has us in stitches back then. How can we forget the rank shanks, hitting the right hand goal post from 10ms out? so yeah even benny had spudness about him then)
Stuart Wigney(solid but also had a splash of spud about him)

IMO the spuds or near spuds in the 95 side were to numerous and current side doesnt have so many of them.

I will qualify all this by suggesting that all the 95 tigers should be commended on extracting every last ounce of their abilities to get us to where they did. So when I suggest the word spud, i mean it in the best way. But those who were there, know all to well where I am coming from if they live in reality. This is why when we fronted up to teams like the Cats back then we would be made to look like keystone cops...

Looking at it purely on match ups (only change I made was Grigg in the team, he is too good to leave out. Switched him for Nahas):

RUCK
Maric vs Gale - Maric for me, Gale more a second ruck (hence the reason Dear was still in the side). Even if Dear was played, I'd have Maric over him at that point of his career

FOLLOWERS
Tuck/Foley vs Broderick/Knights - Brodders and Knights for me, Brodders has superior disposal to Tuck, and Knights beats Foley in all areas IMO

CENTER LINE
Deledio/Cotchin/Grigg vs Bond/Campbell/Maxfield - Lids/Cotch/Grigg for me, Maxfield and Bond may be a bit tougher, but todays three would burn the other three on the run for four quarters.

FLANKERS
A.Edwards/Martin vs Free/Kellaway - Edwards/Martin again, too much speed, and both tough enough to take the knocks from these two

Newman/Houli vs Daffy/Rogers - Daffy/Rogers this time. Very close, but I think the 95 boys will have them just

POCKETS
King/S.Edwards vs Prescott/M.Gale - King/Edwards, King is tough enough to hold his own, and neither would have the pace to go with Shane Edwards

Morris/Grimes vs Naish/Merenda - Morris/Grimes, both too good on their day for this pair.

KEY POSITIONS
Vickery/Reiwoldt vs Tape/Turner - Vickery/Reiwoldt. Vickery is too tall, mobile and fast for Tape. Turner would only win if he suckered Jack into a wrestling match, which could happen. As long as he leads though, he is too mobile for Turner.

Chaplin/Rance vs Charles/Richardson - Charles and Richo just on Richo. Charles would be toe to toe with Rance, was actually a decent lead up CHF, and was mobile enough to match Rance. Chappy would be destroyed by Richo though, who would run him ragged.

INTERCHANGE
Nahas/Ellis/Conca/Batchelor vs Bower/Howat/Bourke/Wigney - Young potential vs borderline at best, todays kids in a street for me.

From this, I only that the 95 boys winning in the ruck rover/rover, their half forward line, and FF. This isn't enough for me, and with their superior depth on the bench, I think the modern boys would run them around, and then pull away in the final quarter. Even assuming comparable training, the modern team has a much stronger focus on speed and skill outside a select few positions.

i dont think gale had moved to the ruck at this stage. chf only.

If '95 had the same facilities as current day players, they'd win hands down. In fact, I'll still back them in. So 1995 team for mine. Harder edge and better skilled at this point in time.
One thing that sticks in my mind from that brief era though cb was that the top 4 sides absolutely wiped the floor with us...in the last 12 months i reckon weve proved to be more than capable mixing it with the pace setters. I reckon 95 was more mature with less upside to the current outfit

i dont think gale had moved to the ruck at this stage. chf only.

I know, but thats the side these guys selected. Even if you had Dear at Ruck, and either of Charles or Gale at CHF, I still think Maric/Rance would beat them.

IMO the spuds or near spuds in the 95 side were to numerous and current side doesnt have so many of them.

I will qualify all this by suggesting that all the 95 tigers should be commended on extracting every last ounce of their abilities to get us to where they did. So when I suggest the word spud, i mean it in the best way. But those who were there, know all to well where I am coming from if they live in reality. This is why when we fronted up to teams like the Cats back then we would be made to look like keystone cops...

Think you summed it up better than i Cogga.:thumbsu:

Interesting thread.....

you would need to give the 95 side a preseason that the current guys get including giving them access to game plans etc. The game has changed alot in 18 years ($%$^# has it been that long) .
Football players against athletes so to speak. I wouldnt say the 95 side was overly battle harden because it was thier first real finals hit.
The Op left out one of the Major reasons for our 95 form. Greg Dear. Gale was second ruck. Dear controled most stoppages and gave our midfield first use of the ball. Dear was our number 1 Ruck. Gale spent most of the time playing HF line and sometimes down back.
Dear was injured early in the round 8 game and that was our first loss, against Geel. When he was down we played poorly. In saying that a player like Maric would dominate him in todays game, especially around the ground.

1 preseason wouldnt be enough to get the 95 squad upto todays level. Remember the kids playing todays game have been programed since they were 15 in the modern game... In 95 it was 50% ability that made up a side..... now its about 30% ability and the rest is made up of strict team rules and players at a fitness level.

As much as I liked Niash he was soft as butter.... Tape was too slow of HB, the forwardline would leak like sift. Cotchin would smash them in the middle etc....

I'd back todays team ....... by about 12-15 goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back