Opinion Team '95' vs Team of today

Remove this Banner Ad

If only there were more players in our team like Knights to hit him on the tit. Was underrated by opposition supporters because most only saw him on TV and missed how many good leads he put in that were either ignored, flew over his head, landed 2 metres in front of him or missed him completely. The media focused on his body language on field but fair dinkum, if I was working that hard every single week and getting that kind of service regularly, I would have thrown many more tantrums than he did. His kicking for goal wasn't amazing but I reckon it would compare pretty favourably with Buddy without the same level of criticism.

Richo's biggest problem was his timing when he led, he just didnt know when to hold back and wait for the ball... he was a bull at a gate. ..... he wasnt a true FF ... more a floating CHF. But our coaches were too stupid to utalise his strengths.... he was wasted deep in the forwardline for too long.... as his 2008 season showed. Would have loved to have seen Shulz given a solid season at FF... this would have freed up Richo.

Richo's biggest problem was his timing when he led, he just didnt know when to hold back and wait for the ball... he was a bull at a gate. ..... he wasnt a true FF ... more a floating CHF. But our coaches were too stupid to utalise his strengths.... he was wasted deep in the forwardline for too long.... as his 2008 season showed. Would have loved to have seen Shulz given a solid season at FF... this would have freed up Richo.

Imagine if Richo had played wing from day 1

Imagine if Richo had played wing from day 1

Worst thing Frawley did was beef him up....... Wallace got him fit agian. His 2008 season was a wake up call 6 hours too late.... the realisastion that we had just wasted the best KPP the club has had in roles that his strengths didnt allow him to reach his true potential.... In saying that he still had an awesome career.

This is a great thread, but...how sad is it that all we have to hang our hats on when talking about our 'recent' super teams is a side that lost a prelim by 13 goals.:oops:

Richo would be the difference in the end.

15 meters out directly in front..... do you close your eyes??? or watch it? ....lol..... I reckon I missed half of Richo's goals because I had my eyes closed praying....lol. Unless he was on the boundary 50 out... thenI would have penciled in a a goal.

This is a great thread, but...how sad is it that all we have to hang our hats on when talking about our 'recent' super teams is a side that lost a prelim by 13 goals.:oops:
That's because the 95 team was nothing more than a very average list that performed above expectation in one given year. Scott Turner played above himself on the day and so did players like Daffy and a few others. Those that remember the 95 season will have fond memories of the tiger army going crazy for most of the year. The team was high on adrenalin and produced a number of brave performances including the finals win over the Bombers. Reality was we lost two finals, got smashed as you stated in the prelim and could never produce the same level of output. We had a small group of top liners like knights, Broderick, Cambell and an injured Richo. Truth be known though, guys like Kellaway, Gale boys etc were only B grade at best and many of those other players like Howart were just hacks who lifted for the occasion that year. This current team has a better foundation than that 95 side and with 2 years more experience under its belt would smash the 95 side in a similar fashion to what Geelong did. Richmond really are starved of success and it is sad that we have to hold up the 95 side as our flagship. That side was just better than average... Skill level was appauling guys like kellaway just could not hit a target.

15 meters out directly in front..... do you close your eyes??? or watch it? ....lol..... I reckon I missed half of Richo's goals because I had my eyes closed praying....lol. Unless he was on the boundary 50 out... thenI would have penciled in a a goal.
Thats Richo to a tee for sure.

Remember the Bronx cheers for Gale in the semi? Lol

Had an absolute stinker that day

I went to the Cats game the week after also.
Rogers kicked the first and it was all downhill from there.
I think Benny kicked the ball the wrong way that game.
I saw Emmet Dunne in the stands and Disco at that game and was near where everyone sung the song to say thanks to the players for a great year.
The Bombers game took everything out of the players.They were spent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We won our first five games for the first time since the early 1980s, were on top of the ladder for the first time since 1982 (from rounds 9 to 12) ended up 3rd at the end of the season and could have finished 2nd above Cats if not for the draw against the Bombers, faced a fresh Cats team on the big Waverley a ground we had played on only in rounds 2 and 3 against cellar dwellers Saints and Hawks, all this without our rampant key big man. Had Cambo All Australian, Cambo, Knights, Kellaway, Daffy and Bulluss playing State of Origin (Ted Whittens last lap of houner game)

Might not have been a team of Champions, but they were a damn good football team. And who knows what would have happened if Northy had stayed and we didnt get that tool Walls in charge the following year.

We won our first five games for the first time since the early 1980s, were on top of the ladder for the first time since 1982 (from rounds 9 to 12) ended up 3rd at the end of the season and could have finished 2nd above Cats if not for the draw against the Bombers, faced a fresh Cats team on the big Waverley a ground we had played on only in rounds 2 and 3 against cellar dwellers Saints and Hawks, all this without our rampant key big man. Had Cambo All Australian, Cambo, Knights, Kellaway, Daffy and Bulluss playing State of Origin (Ted Whittens last lap of houner game)

Might not have been a team of Champions, but they were a damn good football team. And who knows what would have happened if Northy had stayed and we didnt get that tool Walls in charge the following year.

Why was that game at Waverley?

Thats Richo to a tee for sure.

I remember Richo missing an easy shot and I kicked a nearby green bin at the G and yelled out bloody Richo and got the evil stares and a bloke came up and said You AINT A RICHMOND SUPPORTER lol.
I told that bloke FFS I love the bloke,I just get frustrated sometimes then he piped down.
He did improve his kicking later on.
Early on in his career he was very good at goalkicking also.
He really polarised the Richmond faithful.

He wore Richmond on his heartsleeve and played some ripper matchwinning games.
The recent one was against Carlton when Judd played his first game for Carlton.
That whole year when he played on the wing was fantastic.
Still miss watching him play.

imo 96/97 was it if swooper hadnt left when the window was right open.
I can't see that the window was open for us if swooper had not left. Fact is we were miles behind the two top teams and our list was no more than a bit above average. We were smashed in the prelim and our window was not open. Richmond would have needed to find at least two or three more stars and weeded out hacks like Howart, Bower and others. Ordinary list. current list has far more potential and if one or two younger players step up, then our window will be open. Potentially our best side since 82.

I can't see that the window was open for us if swooper had not left. Fact is we were miles behind the two top teams and our list was no more than a bit above average. We were smashed in the prelim and our window was not open. Richmond would have needed to find at least two or three more stars and weeded out hacks like Howart, Bower and others. Ordinary list. current list has far more potential and if one or two younger players step up, then our window will be open. Potentially our best side since 82.

i think with the inclusion of richo anything could hace happened. imagine the next year with the same coach with richo kicking 91 gaols for the year. we may not have got there but we wernt that far away imo.

i think with the inclusion of richo anything could hace happened. imagine the next year with the same coach with richo kicking 91 gaols for the year. we may not have got there but we wernt that far away imo.

and what if we had kept Maxfield and Lambert and got Plugger?

Enjoyed reminiscing in this thread. After the '80 GF, that '95 semi is my best day at the footy. Was also at the SCG when Richo did his knee and Wigney his ankle. Reckon if teams were of similar fitness it would be a good contest. If only we could get Brodders, Cambo and Knighter into the current midfield and Richo to run amok between the 50m arcs.
PS: What's a 'heartsleeve' Smasha. It sounds cool.

and what if we had kept Maxfield and Lambert and got Plugger?
Plugger would have been a huge get, not sure that he would have made all the difference, certainly would have made it closer though. I was very sad when he did not land at the Tigers.

I must have been watching other games but I can say with some certainty that yeah Scotty was one tough mudder, but yeah too he got torn new ones by slick FFs...so the JR match up wouldnt be as clear cut as cb suggests...in fact JR would run rings around him. Scotty had trouble with the slick smart arse FFs.

Scotty was a good workman like full back. Wasnt the most talented but was an old school tough smart player. IIRC he had the record kicked on him by Dunstal of like 17 (cant remember the yr & cbf looking it up) but then kept him goal less in the return bout... & that was when we were absolute shite.. funny s**t as I remember a Hawks mate absolutely spitting chips the second game round :D

I'll tell u what, the rebounding from that 95 side with Kellaway & Prescott is a worry lol. NOt to mention the constant turnovers from Daffy bombing it long to the opposition when he thought he wanter to be a midfielder after one stellar season as a half fwd\pocket

Remove this Banner Ad

Back