Terry Wallace told Mitch Morton `You've cost me my job": HUN

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do you give Wallace the benefit of the doubt (justly) but not the players or board? March called the media attention a circus, not the club. There's no evidence of anyone going behind Wallace's back or leaking anything to the media. Why are you deciding to back Wallace but not the rest of the club? Isn't it a bit hypocritical to talk about a united front while slagging off the president, suggesting the board is conspiring against the coach and the players are leaking information to the media?

Outstanding comment RT.

Wallace would not have only said 'you cost me my job' (if indeed he did say that), he would have pointed out that the club took a chance on Morton, showed faith in him when nobody else would, and that his actions on Sunday had consequences far beyond blowing one game by not thinking and not following basic team rules.

At football clubs, 22 players in a game represent many thousands (hundreds of thousands in our case) of people. With that privilege comes responsibility way beyond themselves as individuals.

The deeper issue here is the subtext: why would Wallace say Morton cost him his job (if that's what he even said)?

The public waffle from our utterly incompetent board is that Wallace will coach out the year. Why would Wallace say that a game in round 8 cost him his coaching career? What ultimatums and internal scuttlebutt from the board would cause Wallace to make that statement?

It was so obvious to anyone with an understanding of the relationship between football clubs and the media that March had quite probably crucified us before the season even began with his 'finals or bust' stance and his apparently deliberate actions in hanging Wallace out to dry with nonsensical wavering statements which added up to anything but genuine support.

We started with a tough draw, March set the scene where if we lost a few early we would be under untenable media scrutiny and both the players and Wallace would not be able to just go about their business without an actively brewing shitstorm hanging over their heads.

March deserved several kicks in his bloated ignorant head for his 'well, it's a bit of a circus' comments yesterday. He created the circus and has either been incompetently oblivious to the consequences, or done this to our coach and club quite deliberately.

Either way, he should stand down. We'd be better off picking a candidate at random from a queue at Centrelink.

In contrast, look at Collingwood.

They're battling and underachieving, they have Buckley waiting in the wings, but at no stage has McGuire put Malthouse under anywhere near the same pressure March has torched Wallace (and the club) with.

Another massive issue. Why couldn't Wallace be his 'year of the Dogs' self at Richmond? Understandable with juniors who require positive reinforcement, not understandable with seniors who should be able to respond positively to a bake.

The obvious conclusion is that he never felt he had the support from the club heirarchy to risk losing the support of individual 'key' senior players (key only from a purely political perspective), and has had to modify his coaching style accordingly.

At precisely the stage last year where we needed to back our coaching staff, give them a couple more years and the authority to make the neccessary calls on team discipline and club unity, March let the players know loud and clear through his public (and no doubt private) actions that many of them would survive killing our current coach and our season.

And surprise surprise, here they all are (both club officials and players) talking out of school to the media anonymously and gleefully turning us into the league laughing stock once again.

How will this crap ever change unless we present a genuinely united front to the public, back our coaches and football administrators with genuine support, and rid the boardroom and playing list of the neverending media leaks which embarrass and completely undermine the club?

Steven Wright's silence is telling IMO. The man has done so much to improve our basket case finances and put us on the right footing for the future. My take on it (and this is admittedly only speculation) is that he's staying out of the whole thing because he's disgusted with the way this club shoots itself in both feet at every possible opportunity. How much longer will he hang around having done so well when everything else at the club is polluted and desecrated by incompetence?

How do we attract and retain quality people when our club culture sticks knives into people and parades their wounded carcass to the media through backstabbing leaks with such regularity?

Our present situation is very much a case of rot starting at the head (president and board) and causing every part attached to it to turn rancid.

sorry to say partner but I reckon thats alot of **** and bull, the reality was we granted TW 5yrs...it's evident now that the foundations laid in those early years have not exactly built a solid platform to succeed albeit that I accept we are better placed now than before he arrived. The pressure is always going to mount in the final year of his tenure considering he didnt exactly set the world on fire in the previous 4 ...Other coaches have succeeded in similar circumstances, hell ESS fans used to remark sheeds should only be on 1 yr contracts...what has surfaced in more recent times are flaws within his ability to really succeed at the level...EG Player/Coach dynamics ...gameplan and the ol chestnut developing players...seeing as most go backwards

So there you have it...and dont dare go blaming March for any of that, my only knock on GM and wright is they didnt sack the **** after R4

I don't know what to beleive. The article from the age seems to be more realistic then the s**t the HUN has produced. If Wallace did blame Morton for costing him his job, then he is a bigger ******** then I thought and must go.
But if he didn't and just gave Mitch a spray for costing us the game and this whole is issue is about that, then this is all bull. We were always going to be under the pump this year and after round 1 it was going to take time to recover. IMO the season ended after we lost to Melbourne we were never going to make the 8 after that loss and thats when Terry should have been shown the door.

Now what do you think Wallace's attitude going into this week will be? He knows his finished, we all do. It would take a miracle for him to save himself now, we should just get rid of him and get it all over and done with

i would be pretty certain that wallace would have gave morton a good ear bashing after his silly play on with a minute to go, if he didnt , then something is very wrong. it was certainly called for.

i would be pretty certain that wallace would have gave morton a good ear bashing after his silly play on with a minute to go, if he didnt , then something is very wrong. it was certainly called for.

Bloody hell. How many times does it have to be said. It's the fact that Wallace allegedly said to Morton "You've cost me my job"

This shows how Wallace doesn't care about the club. Wallace only cares wallace. If wallace said "you just cost us the game" then that is fair enough but the fact he said "you cost me my job" shows us

A) he is delusional that he has put his poor career at Richmond down to one point
and
B) he doesn't care about the side winning, he only cares about himself

What Morton did was stupid. It cost us the game but no more than any other mistake throughout the game which resulted in a Port goal.

Morton did not cost us the game. He did make a big mistake at a crucial time however it was just one act in 120 mins of football. There were probably another 10 mistakes by players after that incident which could be looked at as costing us the game. I beleive what cost us the game was our inability to stop Tredrea in the first quarter. If we had done this we would have been 7 goals up at that stage and Morton's shot at goal would be a non issue.
bullshit he cost us the game dont worry about that

Anyone that thinks Mitch was hard done by should watch Hell's Kitchen. Now I know its all done for tv but if I had a choice between a Gordon Ramsey style coach and a touchy feely lets-not-upset-anyone type, I'd go for the hard as nails style coach every day of the week... and twice on Sunday!

As a wiser man than me once said "All progress depends on the unreasonable man"

krust, the ONLY circumstances that TW could be somewhat justified is if that vitriol was also directed to the likes of simmonds or Brown in r1 or perhaps richo for not nailing his chances and allowing waite to float off him and kick 3 in q1...Now i dont know this for sure but something tells me that TW is playing favs, many coaches do it, and it's often their undoing toward the end

A games not exactly won or lost in the final 2 minutes of the game, The rest of your clowns should of had the game won long before that

of course he would have had a go at morton. but i hope he didn't say that he cost him his job.

Bloody hell. How many times does it have to be said. It's the fact that Wallace allegedly said to Morton "You've cost me my job"

This shows how Wallace doesn't care about the club. Wallace only cares wallace. If wallace said "you just cost us the game" then that is fair enough but the fact he said "you cost me my job" shows us

A) he is delusional that he has put his poor career at Richmond down to one point
and
B) he doesn't care about the side winning, he only cares about himself

What Morton did was stupid. It cost us the game but no more than any other mistake throughout the game which resulted in a Port goal.

Kind of interesting that yesterday it was reported that players were the ones who gave the media the scoop about the Morton spray and now we find out today that Johnson, Simmonds and King were the ones who were behind the push to get TW sacked Monday.

bullshit he cost us the game dont worry about that

So leaving Chad Cornes on his own in the goalsquare 10m away from any richmond player had no influence on the game? What about allowing Tredrea 7 shots at goal in the first quarter alone? Or what about having players manning up and positioning themselves properly from the last boundary throw in that resulted in Port getting the winning goal? Pettifers dropped chest mark 45 out from goal? Cotchins miss from 40m out? I could go on and on. It was 1 mistake in 120 mins of football.

regardless of who cost us the game, if Wallet said that to Mitch he should be sacked.
He's simply lost the plot if he said it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So there you have it...and dont dare go blaming March for any of that, my only knock on GM and wright is they didnt sack the **** after R4

March set the club up last season to be the fodder of speculative tabloid journalism if we had a slow or difficult start to the season and this sort of pressure can cause way more united clubs than ours to implode - plain and simple.

And I'll "dare" to write the truth regardless of how it gets skewed in your brain thanks very much.

March set the club up last season to be the fodder of speculative tabloid journalism if we had a slow or difficult start to the season and this sort of pressure can cause way more united clubs than ours to implode - plain and simple.

And I'll "dare" to write the truth regardless of how it gets skewed in your brain thanks very much.
read an interesting piece today ... a quote from Shane Crawford regarding Peter Schwab coming out and saying that he felt Hawthorn could win the flag and subsequently coming last (or second last ... will stand corrected) ...

Shane said something to the effect that it put to much unnecessary pressure on a young playing group ....

HHmmmm ... some food for thought ....

March says pre-season that its finals or bust for Wallace ... publically . Sheedy says at the season launch that we can win the flag .. publically

Do we see the pattern here ?;)

We can Damien Barrett for his relentless tiger bashing and in particular with relation to March .. but

Anyone really want to argue about it at the Mo ?

We have coc.ked things up magnificently and consistently for a very long period now ... but the last 12 months is shaping up to be the "Piece de resistance` IMHO

how do you ever avoid a coach's final year of his tenure are u suggesting it should be evergreen....plenty of precedents with clubs entering 2009 with coach on notice....but here we go again yep, all in a chorus now...This is ****en richmond oh yeah...we need 20 yr ****en contracts oh yeah, we're different oh yeah...we got no culture oh yeah....gimmee a break

read an interesting piece today ... a quote from Shane Crawford regarding Peter Schwab coming out and saying that he felt Hawthorn could win the flag and subsequently coming last (or second last ... will stand corrected) ...

Shane said something to the effect that it put to much unnecessary pressure on a young playing group ....

March says pre-season that its finals or bust for Wallace ... publically . Sheedy says at the season launch that we can win the flag .. publically

We can Damien Barrett for his relentless tiger bashing and in particular with relation to March .. but

We have coc.ked things up magnificently and consistently for a very long period now ... but the last 12 months is shaping up to be the "Piece de resistance` IMHO

hmmm, really, looking back i thought Caseys last year when we booked a 2mn dollar loss and signed TW for 5 yrs is up there:rolleyes:

Well done, Morts. Handled like a mature player in the interview.

The shittest thing is that Terry's tirade got out.

He won't be a the last coach to launch such a tirade at a player.

The problem is our club leaks like a sieve.

Goes to show our professionalism as a club when Brock McLean and Mark McVeigh look entirely bemused how such a leak can come from a club. We have a long way to go to give these who make our club look like amateur hour time and time again the arse for life.

onya mitch :thumbsu:

took ur medicine and moved on, water off a ducks back

not sure where all this innuendo comes of him being a selfish primadonna come from, spoke like a man tonight

Well done, Morts. Handled like a mature player in the interview.

The shittest thing is that Terry's tirade got out.

He won't be a the last coach to launch such a tirade at a player.

The problem is our club leaks like a sieve.

Goes to show our professionalism as a club when Brock McLean and Mark McVeigh look entirely bemused how such a leak can come from a club. We have a long way to go to give these who make our club look like amateur hour time and time again the arse for life.

It was obviously johnson who leaked it and gf knows what else.

I'm wondering if he is in cohorts with Tony Free:thumbsdown:

What a pack of complete losers.

:thumbsu::thumbsu: good post... Thats why I have been so critical of March.

What do we do now? We need to take control. How do we take control??? The only way I can see us taking control is ..... well.... I dont want to say it but the only way we can sought this s**t out now and lessen the backlash to playing group.....even though they dont deserve to be protected.... is for us to part with TW.

I'm so pissed off with the lack of leadership this club has shown.... for this s**t to be spilt all over the media.... for players to leak s**t to the media... having press conferences after press conference explaining what the F$%K we are doing because we dont know what we are doing is just pure backyard crap.

WE NEED DIRECTION....... and dare I say it Miller would have dealt with this SO much better.

if anyone leaked, it would have been mitch morton, or his parents. no one said much but hutch seem to be able to get a one on one with morton. hutchy didnt pursue any of the players named in the consipircy, you would think they would be the ones that he would be after to back up his outrageous claims.

krustyman
hutchy didnt pursue any of the players named in the consipircy, you would think they would be the ones that he would be after to back up his outrageous claims.

He would not pursue the leaker,his source of information.

Poor comment by Wallace, shows he is not coping with the pressure!

The leak to the media is the biggest problem.
Sad!:mad:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back