Game Day The final Masterpiece - AFL Grand Final 2017 - Adelaide v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

For next year we really need to work on being better when other teams apply that.lressure across the ground at such a level.

Richmond did it to us early in the game when we belted them at AO. The difference was they could not maintain it then like they did yesterday.

Melbourne and North also exposed this.
Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

well this makes it a definite pattern for Don Pykes Teams.

West coast melted like jelly, and our 2005 and 2006 teams melted too.

Blighty won us the back to backs due to his tactical edge and the first movers advantage of surprise.

we have played and dived head first into their trap and we are now lambs to slaughter.

If you watch the doco '1997' and listen to Blighty, he definitely says that having coached three losing grand finals was part of his preparation - that he continued to think about what he could have done, what he learned and how he would change things. Jack Graham yesterday looked like he was Blighty's Shane Ellen from '97 btw.
Did you see around the contest, sometimes the tigers would just shadow us instead of taking possession, and when we took the pill, they pounced on us instantaneously.

I think there's something in this - contested possession was definitely a key to the game, and Richmond's spacing around the contest seemed to consistently stifle our ability to both win the ball and then get it out cleanly, both areas where we have excelled this year. Dusty played far more on the outside of the contest than I can recall having seen him in the past.

Just like Blighty, pretty sure Pyke will look carefully at where out contested possession game fell down and formulate a response.

Don't get me wrong, we were completely outplayed.

But it's always going to be difficult playing against a team on their home turf on the big dance. Does this happen in any other sport around the world? Serious question. We play there three times a year if we are lucky. Huge disadvantage for non-Vics. It's a joke. The AFL is a joke.

Bitter? Yes.

How the fk does Cotchin even step foot on the ground after that incident last week? With all the precedent set during the year. Would Sloane have got off if the tables were turned? Laughable.

Some of those umpiring decisions in the first quarter. Fk me. How do you explain that? The umpires decided to play god and there were some critical poor decisions against us (at least that's how it looked from the ground) which halted our momentum when we looked to have started well.

Salty? Absolutely.

End of the day we weren't good enough and yesterday's loss was very similar to the few others we've endured this year. Little fight, never really in with a chance, struggle to hit the board.

I'm out. Where do I lineup for a refund?

Spent a lot of money this year on a gold membership and spending thousands to go watch a Grand Final only to see us perform ridiculously bad. Won't be buying a membership next year.

Careful some posters are very precious if you say we are ruined.

Wouldnt surprise me if we dont make the top 6 next year.
Nothing to do with precious.
I just think it's dumb and weak.
At least I know the club won't have that attitude.

PS I don't want us to turn on each other but I'm not going to ignore the "we're ruined, it's over for 10 years" crap.

Spent a lot of money this year on a gold membership and spending thousands to go watch a Grand Final only to see us perform ridiculously bad. Won't be buying a membership next year.

I dont blame you. I can understand why too. For some supporters its a lot of money to shell out year after year and then to put up with an insipid performance.

Really there was cracks in the year in the manner in which we lost games and in the manner we responded to those losses. Both on and off the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks, hopefully we can do a Hawthorn sometime soon. A bounce back dynasty sounds appealing...

Because the Grand Final is always played at the Victorian teams home ground (or state). Because when 70k Richmond roar it's a free kick to Dusty, but when he does the same thing it's fine. Because 2016 GF stitch up. Because Cotchin and Ellis played instead of being suspended. Because it's not an even competition.

Also because sometimes the other team is just better on the day, or a combination. But make no mistake, those other things happen too, it's ****house and it's starting to get real old.
Commiserations Crows.
And welcome to the 'MCG no home advantage' for Vic teams narrative.
Except it is. And we all know it.

What happened to the pushing and shoving and getting in their faces at the opening bounce? That was a red flag for me. Push dusty like they did danger. Nope. Nothing. Push opponents after goals? Nope nothing. Weak.

On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app
So true. After Rance had taken a few easy marks whilst teammates kept the opponents away, I was waiting for someone to make him earn it physically. Nothing. Instead of doubting himself, his confidence skyrocketed. We had some big bodies in our forward line that we're too timid.

Disagree . Smith would have given us rebound off half back. His kicking is elite. MgGovern would have given us a forward target. No other forwards stood up. If you can’t see that then I can’t help you.
The premiership tilt went down the drain once smith and gov were injured. Just very unlucky for us. Our worst side of the year was in the most important match.

So true. After Rance had taken a few easy marks whilst teammates kept the opponents away, I was waiting for someone to make him earn it physically. Nothing. Instead of doubting himself, his confidence skyrocketed. We had some big bodies in our forward line that we're too timid.
Great call.

Walker, Jenkins and Otten were disgraceful...not one ounce of aggression amongst them IN A GRAND FINAL.

Could be worse! Could've been a Port fan.
Or you could have been a tiger fan for the last 37 years!

I am a bit of (well definitely) a traitor. I used to follow the Crows from the start then jumped onto the Tigers in 1998. Before Richo my fave was Rod Jameson. Best kick of a footy I have ever seen.

But back on topic it was just such a strange game. I didn't think the Crows would be susceptible to that pressure style game plan or more so thought it would be a repeat of our earlier encounter this year. so many players wee just down on the day and even Sloane couldn't keep his game going despite being BOG till halftime I thought.

All my family and friends are mad Crows supporters and three of my mates actually drove to Melbourne to watch at the G. Even stranger being that Graham is a family member with his background as well. Ripper young lad.

I definitely think the Crows will be fine for a few years yet. With some quality pickups in the off season (Gibbs surely) they should get there next year. Hope I haven't overstepped either, always have and will respect your footy club.

I am a bit of (well definitely) a traitor. I used to follow the Crows from the start then jumped onto the Tigers in 1998. Before Richo my fave was Rod Jameson. Best kick of a footy I have ever seen..
Opposite here. I was a Richmond fan for 20 years until the Crows started in 1991. :D

I am a bit of (well definitely) a traitor. I used to follow the Crows from the start then jumped onto the Tigers in 1998. Before Richo my fave was Rod Jameson. Best kick of a footy I have ever seen.

But back on topic it was just such a strange game. I didn't think the Crows would be susceptible to that pressure style game plan or more so thought it would be a repeat of our earlier encounter this year. so many players wee just down on the day and even Sloane couldn't keep his game going despite being BOG till halftime I thought.

All my family and friends are mad Crows supporters and three of my mates actually drove to Melbourne to watch at the G. Even stranger being that Graham is a family member with his background as well. Ripper young lad.

I definitely think the Crows will be fine for a few years yet. With some quality pickups in the off season (Gibbs surely) they should get there next year. Hope I haven't overstepped either, always have and will respect your footy club.
How do you jump of the crows after our first premiership?

It's funny as I have a first memory being a crows fan of the 93 prelim against Essendon, before that I was an eagles fan.. no idea why I changed that year, was only young but yeah, won a flag and changed? Think it was Modra but can't be sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back