Preview The Hawks and the run to the finals

Remove this Banner Ad

In 2008 we started off on fire with 9 wins, then had a rough 6-7 weeks where we got killed by a couple of teams, had a couple of decent wins, and a couple of very unconvincing wins. That along with getting done by richmond 3 weeks out from finals gave me little confidence that we could match it with the best, even though we took geelong a fair way in round 17.

I don't think it's unreasonable to draw similarities between 2008 and from round 8 this year, where we won 8 but should have won 10 on the trot, I believe we're now in that rough patch where in 2008 the bulldogs killed us in similar fashion to what sydney did on the weekend. The guys have gone through a bunch of close, contested tough games and form has now dropped off as they freshen up.

After richmond mauled us that year we won the next 5 straight including the grand final, by an average of around 10 goals, i don't care what people say about geelongs consistency over the past 3 years, but in 2008 we were the best team for the majority of the year, and we showed that when it mattered.

Lets just hope we can emulate that late season turnaround, starting this week and really hit our straps for the finals, we will have our best 22 on the park for the final 2 games of the year and have no excuses as the majority of them have been playing for the 2nd half of this year. When we're focused, like in 2008, we have the best list, we play the most exciting football, and we have more matchwinners than any other team, and i don't want to see this go to waste.

disagree.

Robert Walls is a goose

Walls has hated us since we beat them (Fitzroy) in the 83 qualifying final. He then got extra hate when they dominated the 2nd semi in 86 to go straight through to the Grand Final and were very strong favs. Then he was outcoached as his team was outplayed and we thrashed them in the big one. He did beat us in 87 but his win was overshadowed by the remarkable prelim. and the fact that we were injured, buggered and without Dunstall. He felt he never got the credit for being a premiership coach as the focus after the game was more on why Hawthorn didn't rather than why Carlton did.

Today's results haven't helped the Hawks with Sydney and Carlton both winning and now on 44 points they most likely can't miss the finals.

That leaves only one spot left, looking at the remaining games we can only make the finals if we win 2 out of the last 3 games. North are the threat, they will probably lose to the saints but will most likely win the last two against WC and Melb.

If we don't win 2 more games we will most likely finish 9th on 42pts while the Kangas finish 8th on 44pts.

If we do win 2 more games we would probably finish in 7th and play the Swans again in Sydney (crap). The Blues play the Cats and Freo in WA so will struggle to win their last 2 so could finish 8th.

We absolutely must win the game against Melb and Freo or it's pretty much over, however you never know we could beat the hot Pies and sneak in.

Today's results haven't helped the Hawks with Sydney and Carlton both winning and now on 44 points they most likely can't miss the finals.

That leaves only one spot left, looking at the remaining games we can only make the finals if we win 2 out of the last 3 games. North are the threat, they will probably lose to the saints but will most likely win the last two against WC and Melb.

If we don't win 2 more games we will most likely finish 9th on 42pts while the Kangas finish 8th on 44pts.

If we do win 2 more games we would probably finish in 7th and play the Swans again in Sydney (crap). The Blues play the Cats and Freo in WA so will struggle to win their last 2 so could finish 8th.

We absolutely must win the game against Melb and Freo or it's pretty much over, however you never know we could beat the hot Pies and sneak in.
the way freo is going they mite even lose 5th spot, they have us next week and than the blues, both 50-50 games. sydney are in the box seat for 5th imo, should beat the lions and have a huge chance against the dogs at the SCG, playing sydney in a final will be very different to the game last week as it will be played at ANZ stadium, much bigger ground and suits us much better. i think we will finish either 6th or 7th which could mean a trip to subi or they come to the G, if we get them at the G that is just about the ideal scenario for us. Must look to win tomorow and try and get 6th, the draw may help us if we end up on 11 and a half wins and get the percentage up, at the end of the day we wouldnt be in this predicament had we done what we should have done and beat port in particular, shocking loss really and completely unacceptable.

i actually think we can beat the pies on merit but if everything continues like it is now the pies would have top spot sewn up by the last round, fair chance they will play alot of fringe players and rest up their stars which would give us more reason to win, if were playing for a home final in round 22 we will be going all out, having said that though the pies would not like to let us get the wood on them again and may try and make a statement. Who knows have to wait and see.

We really need the Doggies to beat Swans this weekend. Hopefully they can recover from the flu & the spanking they've had.

It's also good to see the Lions with a bit of fight yesterday. Hopefully they can knock off Swans Rd 22.

Swans need to win against Dogs for a home final.

Hawks need to win against Pies for a home final.

Dockers and Blues will fight it our for a home final in Rd 22.

Very interesting run home for 5th to 8th spots!

Finals tickets cost enough - I don't want to have to pay for flights and accommodation too!

it seems very likely we may end up in Sydney. although if results go as expected this week, we will be 6th with a win over freo, sydney and carlton to lose. as PNess said, we really need the dogs to win this week, otherwise a trip to sydney seems certain if they win. so lets say the swans lose:

next week in round 22, if

freo beat carlton
coll beat us
sydney beat lions

then we are 7th and off to Sydney.

carlton beat freo
coll beat us
sydney beat lions

we finish 8th and stay in melbourne to play Carlton.

carl beat freo
we beat coll
sydney beat lions

we finish 5th and play Sydney in melbourne

freo beat carl
we beat coll
sydney beat lions

we finish 6th and play Sydney in melbourne

if freo and lions win, we stay 6th, even if we lose to coll and play carlton.

if carl and lions win and we lose to coll, we are off to perth.

if carl, us and the lions win, we play Sydney in melbourne.

i would think carlton in melbourne would be best case for us, then we don't travel at all.

but no doubt, someone will unexpectedly win or lose and blow all my work in this post

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it seems very likely we may end up in Sydney. although if results go as expected this week, we will be 6th with a win over freo, sydney and carlton to lose. as PNess said, we really need the dogs to win this week, otherwise a trip to sydney seems certain if they win. so lets say the swans lose:

next week in round 22, if

freo beat carlton
coll beat us
sydney beat lions

then we are 7th and off to Sydney.

carlton beat freo
coll beat us
sydney beat lions

we finish 8th and stay in melbourne to play Carlton.

carl beat freo
we beat coll
sydney beat lions

we finish 5th and play Sydney in melbourne

freo beat carl
we beat coll
sydney beat lions

we finish 6th and play Sydney in melbourne

if freo and lions win, we stay 6th, even if we lose to coll and play carlton.

if carl and lions win and we lose to coll, we are off to perth.

if carl, us and the lions win, we play Sydney in melbourne.

i would think carlton in melbourne would be best case for us, then we don't travel at all.

but no doubt, someone will unexpectedly win or lose and blow all my work in this post

Thanks for spelling out what I have been trying to figure out in my head for the past 2 days!!

Finals tickets cost enough - I don't want to have to pay for flights and accommodation too!

This.

I'm willing to fork out for a Sydney final but I really hate the prospect of a last minute trip to Perth. I've heard stories from past years where airlines have jacked up prices last minute once the finals have been announced so a match over there could really hurt the wallet.

Must. Avoid. Perth. !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back