Toast The Renaissance of Travis Boak

Remove this Banner Ad

There is no doubt Travis Boak has been a loyal servant of the club and all reports suggest he is a quality person as well, but news of his new contract for me is akin to putting your x-lotto ticket in the machine at the local newsagent, getting a tad excited hearing all those razamataz bells going off, and only seconds later getting the message you are a `winner,' with a return of $11.25 from a ticket that cost $25.60! :rolleyes:

There's definitely a disconnect with this 'there's more to life than football' stuff that seems to be all the rage in the AFL at the moment. I get why it's a good message for the players and coaches internally but they're too stupid to realise it's a terrible message to put out externally.

Supporters don't care about your life outside football. We don't care about your family, we don't care about all of the other things going on in your life. We have our own lives and our own family and friends that we care about. Our only investment in you is as athletes. To us, you aren't actually more than footballers. We pay money to see you perform to the best of your abilities as footballers and the idea that 'there's more to life than this' is kind of insulting.

Imagine going for surgery and your surgeon tells you up front that he's going to do his best but really there's more to life than this. I mean, yeah, there is more to life, but I don't really want to hear it from you, I just want you to perform the job I'm paying you to perform - the very job that enables you to do the rest of the things you do in life.

Mate if you’re going to get hung up about the greyhounds you have to be equally as upset about the horses. It’s an AFL problem not a Port problem. And if you’re working on Hinkleys alliances with greyhound and horse ownership Rockliff and Butcher should still be getting a game.
Wait why?

Racehorses are generally treated well.

Greyhounds are treated terribly.

There's definitely a disconnect with this 'there's more to life than football' stuff that seems to be all the rage in the AFL at the moment. I get why it's a good message for the players and coaches internally but they're too stupid to realise it's a terrible message to put out externally.

Supporters don't care about your life outside football. We don't care about your family, we don't care about all of the other things going on in your life. We have our own lives and our own family and friends that we care about. Our only investment in you is as athletes. To us, you aren't actually more than footballers. We pay money to see you perform to the best of your abilities as footballers and the idea that 'there's more to life than this' is kind of insulting.

Imagine going for surgery and your surgeon tells you up front that he's going to do his best but really there's more to life than this. I mean, yeah, there is more to life, but I don't really want to hear it from you, I just want you to perform the job I'm paying you to perform - the very job that enables you to do the rest of the things you do in life.

This is going just that bit too far.

"More to life than this" is just a natural broadening of off field causes players have already been championing. The little one about general mental health springs to mind. Like it or not they are pseudo role models, sometimes they do it well, yes, sometimes they do it with a view to marketing themselves to commercial sponsors, and sometimes they are very bloody clumsy about it. Maybe couch this particular message a little more subtly for a few bloody nanoseconds after you've been pantsed in successive finals for successive years, but all things considered it's not a terrible message to send.

The wider set of supporters beyond hard core sports enthusiasts, the folks who (grits teeth) in total if you boil down all the direct and indirect revenue sources probably pay more of the bills than BF-pontificating "super-enthusiasts" like you and I do, do care to an extent about their team's life and antics outside football, it's not just AFL-industry hacks being hacks or "MSM looking for clicks".

Your life doesn't critically depend on how your footy team is going every weekend. That's a slight paraphrase of a quote I read not from a surgeon but from our very own Bucky himself from decades ago.

---

Boak's one year deal is what I called earlier an example of a "good enough" decision.

Walker has said it too. So exactly, it is just 'working' with an idea but with different motivations.

You can't trust our club's motivations. Our blokes attribute everything to Ken. As if these players had or have nobody else in their lives influencing their character development. Ken made Wines and Boak good human beings? Give me a break. It's club propaganda managing/excusing club failure, and the outlook these blokes have on football because they haven't achieved. If they're good blokes it will be shown naturally without saying it. It's 🤢
It’s all a mixture of spin and self development circle jerk, Craig McRae on family number two or three yet “being the best father and husband is the most important thing to me“. I’ve never heard Travis or Ollie attribute Ken to making them better humans but theyve made it clear that being a better human is what drives them - or more to the point that’s what they want to believe and what they need you to believe. It’s not just our club it’s all clubs. “Being good Richmond men” meanwhile Hartwig’s banging a staff member and now doesn’t live in the same state as his kids. It’s the secret recipe for self promo - look at me I’m a top bloke we’re all top blokes!

It’s all a mixture of spin and self development circle jerk, Craig McRae on family number two or three yet “being the best father and husband is the most important thing to me“. I’ve never heard Travis or Ollie attribute Ken to making them better humans but theyve made it clear that being a better human is what drives them - or more to the point that’s what they want to believe and what they need you to believe. It’s not just our club it’s all clubs. “Being good Richmond men” meanwhile Hartwig’s banging a staff member and now doesn’t live in the same state as his kids. It’s the secret recipe for self promo - look at me I’m a top bloke we’re all top blokes!

Both have attributed their 'good human being' status and/or awakenings to Ken. I don't even hear out for it and I've heard it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's the last one.

The last active Port Adelaide player that pre-dates the coach's arrival (I now Dixon & McKenzie also technically pre-date him but not with Port)

If we couldn't even get the elusive flag for Ebert, Westhoff, Hartlett, Jonas or Gray, then Boak will likely suffer the same fate.

Still best 23 worthy though even at this age. Hard to tell if the club will rest him in round 1 or 2 to play his 350th at home.

Leigh Matthews, summary of comments "Travis Boak 350 games, well done, not a brilliant player but a good solid player, longevity is his strong point"

Top 20 Career Brownlow votes. But, yeah, solid.

He's right.
Do you have a single memory of Boak where you were like "we are so lucky he is amazing"

Not one for mine. He is reliable and workery hardery but actual influence on the game...eh. Not any sort of match winner.

Funnily enough...hes a slightly more damaging Kane Corner.

ducks

Do you have a single memory of Boak where you were like "we are so lucky he is amazing"

Not one for mine. He is reliable and workery hardery but actual influence on the game...eh. Not any sort of match winner.

Funnily enough...hes a slightly more damaging Kane Corner.

ducks
Nah that's rubbish.
He's let us down like most of them but he's been a workhorse and won us plenty of games when we were irrelevant.

I would suggest that a lot of the players that have got over 300 games are not all superstar match winners.
Obviously there are a few but I reckon Boak sits in the list fairly comfortably.

I think that the sometimes over the top negativity of this board leads to us downplaying our own players achievements.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back