There's something funny about these close Hawthorn wins...

Remove this Banner Ad

I know I'm biased because I'm tired of watching these close games where Hawthorn pinch it week after week, all the gushing from the commentators (particularly Bruce), all that wasted energy, but I really am starting to wonder...

There is something funny about how Hawthorn are winning all these close games. Can you remember any team managing so many close ones, where things just go to script so predictably? Bulldogs, Saints, Crows, and now the Swans. This isn't thread the umps favouring them, it's more than that. I just think it's more than Hawthorn being a great team (which I admit, it undoubtedly is), or deserving to win. It just strikes me as odd, something about it just seems almost a little too convenient, too scripted, like a Hollywood film...

Every time it's the same. The Hawks seem to pinch a few quick goals near the very end, as if beating the buzzer, and they are all so fast, so easy, it just looks like they have such incredible luck. Some might say the footy gods are smiling on them. Every bounce, every kick, just seems to go there way. Also, it just seems Hawthorn get a lot of these quick, easy goals, far more than any other side. Like from turnovers they seem to find so much space, so much run...it always seems like they have more players, more space. It could be something tactical, like Clarkson has a whole new system of doing things that other teams haven't caught onto yet. It's not just playing well, but the way they play. Even when not playing well they find a way to win. It's like they don't need to do as much to win, which does come down to footy smarts, skill, and those subtle things, but still, would it be bold of me to suggest something awry?

I guess we could speculate. It does seem the umps do favour Hawthorn in crucial moments, but I still feel that alone can't explain it. Honestly, i don't think it's sour grapes, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they're being favoured, or they have something extra on their side. Who knows, maybe performance enhancing drugs? lol. Nah it'd be too easy a slander to make. But of course not impossible, but with no evidence we couldn't lay that charge. Oh how sweet if it WAS, however. Or indeed match fixing? Who's to say the AFL isn't immune to that? Make it so every team LOOKS like they might beat the Hawks, but have the players, coaches, umps.etc arrange it so a Hawk's victory is guaranteed every time, usually off the boot of golden boy Rioli or Puopolo or or something, who magically just slices through the packs, or takes a stunning mark every bloody time, just at the right moment, as if they're not there and boots a goal to put them in front with a minute to go or something. Once that happens you know the end of the story, it's as predictable as clockwork. Maybe it will feed into the story of the Hawk's as some superhuman, unbeatable team, maybe the AFL wants a 4-peat, maybe they want an upset. Maybe the bookies are in on it. I don't know. I'm not saying there's a conspiracy theory, but in all honestly, I wouldn't be surprised.

Well if they are, I might as well put money for the Hawks to win the Grand Final by a point now.
We've won quite a few close games since we lost to Hawthorn in round 3 with guys like Bontempelli, Daniel, Libba and Stringer coming up clutch when needed

Practice makes perfect I guess

Can't say the same for Sydney unfortunately though

I know I'm biased because I'm tired of watching these close games where Hawthorn pinch it week after week, all the gushing from the commentators (particularly Bruce), all that wasted energy, but I really am starting to wonder...

There is something funny about how Hawthorn are winning all these close games. Can you remember any team managing so many close ones, where things just go to script so predictably? Bulldogs, Saints, Crows, and now the Swans. This isn't thread the umps favouring them, it's more than that. I just think it's more than Hawthorn being a great team (which I admit, it undoubtedly is), or deserving to win. It just strikes me as odd, something about it just seems almost a little too convenient, too scripted, like a Hollywood film...

Every time it's the same. The Hawks seem to pinch a few quick goals near the very end, as if beating the buzzer, and they are all so fast, so easy, it just looks like they have such incredible luck. Some might say the footy gods are smiling on them. Every bounce, every kick, just seems to go there way. Also, it just seems Hawthorn get a lot of these quick, easy goals, far more than any other side. Like from turnovers they seem to find so much space, so much run...it always seems like they have more players, more space. It could be something tactical, like Clarkson has a whole new system of doing things that other teams haven't caught onto yet. It's not just playing well, but the way they play. Even when not playing well they find a way to win. It's like they don't need to do as much to win, which does come down to footy smarts, skill, and those subtle things, but still, would it be bold of me to suggest something awry?

I guess we could speculate. It does seem the umps do favour Hawthorn in crucial moments, but I still feel that alone can't explain it. Honestly, i don't think it's sour grapes, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they're being favoured, or they have something extra on their side. Who knows, maybe performance enhancing drugs? lol. Nah it'd be too easy a slander to make. But of course not impossible, but with no evidence we couldn't lay that charge. Oh how sweet if it WAS, however. Or indeed match fixing? Who's to say the AFL isn't immune to that? Make it so every team LOOKS like they might beat the Hawks, but have the players, coaches, umps.etc arrange it so a Hawk's victory is guaranteed every time, usually off the boot of golden boy Rioli or Puopolo or or something, who magically just slices through the packs, or takes a stunning mark every bloody time, just at the right moment, as if they're not there and boots a goal to put them in front with a minute to go or something. Once that happens you know the end of the story, it's as predictable as clockwork. Maybe it will feed into the story of the Hawk's as some superhuman, unbeatable team, maybe the AFL wants a 4-peat, maybe they want an upset. Maybe the bookies are in on it. I don't know. I'm not saying there's a conspiracy theory, but in all honestly, I wouldn't be surprised.

Well if they are, I might as well put money for the Hawks to win the Grand Final by a point now.

If you and others honestly believe in this conspiricy then god help you. Anyone who has any inkling of marketing or PR nous would know Hawthorn would be the last team the AFL want to win this year.

If you and others honestly believe in this conspiricy then god help you. Anyone who has any inkling of marketing or PR nous would know Hawthorn would be the last team the AFL want to win this year.
How would you know?

If you believe there's a conspiracy then you're part of the problem. For an old bloke with plenty of wisdom I would expect better from you.
What I'm saying is you clearly.wouldn't know one way or the other, Bandwaggoner!

We are seeing a generation of Hawthorn biased umpiring because the guys umpiring today were young when Hawthorn had their dynasty in the 1980's so many of them barracked for the Hawks as kids and have subconscious bias towards them.

We'll see the same thing happen between 2045 and 2050 as the umpires of that era are kids now and are selecting the Hawks as their team.

Mate, I ran a bloody fundraiser at my local primary school when I was single digits in age to generate money to support the club in the merger days. My scarf says 21 years, give it a rest, stop acting like you're 10.
Yeah sure

If you believe there's a conspiracy then you're part of the problem. For an old bloke with plenty of wisdom I would expect better from you.
I believe the AFL/media shows/has shown favouritism to the NSW teams and the "big 4" for things like concessions, marketing, exposure etc to help boost the profiles of those teams as they are either well supported or are based in growth corridors to help keep the TV networks/clickbait generators and such happy, particularly during the Vlad era.

But internal conspiracies to win and stuff, no, if a team is good enough on the day then they'll win.

We are seeing a generation of Hawthorn biased umpiring because the guys umpiring today were young when Hawthorn had their dynasty in the 1980's so many of them barracked for the Hawks as kids and have subconscious bias towards them.

We'll see the same thing happen between 2045 and 2050 as the umpires of that era are kids now and are selecting the Hawks as their team.
Lol

I'm a grassroots umpire and there are many a Doggie, Magpie and Bomber fan at my branch, just happens to be in an area where those teams are well supported due to their proximity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whats funny is the Hawks get 2 frees in a half against the Roos and its " oh but north have tackled more and had more of the of the ball the umpiring is fine."

Fast forward a few weeks and its "omfg i cant believe Sydney only have 3 frees in 3 quarters its a xonspiracy!!!!111!@##1!!"

Hawks have well and truly head*ed an entire generation of bad sports

Franklin has a shot from 45 to put swans up by 11. Out on the full.

Rioli has a shot from 55 to put hawks in front. Right through the middle.

Both teams were good for the 4 points but you gotta grab them. Burgoyne flushed two massive goals in Q4 that never looked like missing.

no doubt the swans choked.

15 goals at one end and 6 at the other
Just maybe there was a breeze favouring one end

Cyril even said so in the post match

Surely such a simple elegant explanation couldn't be true

Poor Hawks

The umpires pets, part of conspiracies, slaughtering lambs.. Nothing to do with there football pressure.

Think it's more about Sydney not being to close out games, how many have they lost in the last few minutes this year, he'll they even let Richmond get em on the siren... There the ones you should be looking at.

Winner. Conspiracy champion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back