Play Nice Toby Greene and "protecting the space"

Remove this Banner Ad

What's to stop someone from fully kicking, like at maximum ferocity, as long as they take the mark?

Good on Toby Greene for using the rule. He's not doing anything wrong by the rules IMO.

I don't like it but how can people be in such an uproar over it but not care about knees into temples and so on with a speccy? End of the day they are both a dangerous act during a marking contest...

I got ripped to pieces on here when I said the knees in speccy had to be banned

Is he protecting the space or kicking players coming at him? Has done it twice in the Sydney final and also kicked the Bulldogs player in the head.

Should more be done to stamp it out or play on?
I just dont get it. You can’t push a player out in a marking contest but you can KICK them out of the way??!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would a blanket rule of "you cannot fend off with the foot" be added or is that overkill?
I think the rules should be "No thrusting from the knee, i.e., kicking" and "No contact to a player with the underside of your boot".

But honestly, I just love situations like this when a player finds a rules blackhole that no one has found and just goes to town with it. I love that stuff.

I think the rules should be "No thrusting from the knee, i.e., kicking" and "No contact to a player with the underside of your boot".

But honestly, I just love situations like this when a player finds a rules blackhole that no one has found and just goes to town with it. I love that stuff.
Kind of like Joel Selwood? ;)

the AFL made a huge mistake by not suspending him after the doggies incident

That wasn’t the huge mistake, Greene thinks he’s playing within the rules and a lot of people agree with him with the way the rules are written. Huge mistake was not changing the rules at the end of the season to outlaw the action. Jarrad Waite did it for years and I thought it was crazy they didn’t change the rule, couldn’t believe that the didn’t change the rule at the end of last season after the Dahlhaus incident.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back