List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

The blokes a massive upgrade on what we have but wtf have we offered him??

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeah odd suppose they giving everyone better so the McKay 3 doesn't get questioned.

Just trying to distil this to simplify it while putting in the expected push back in position assuming MacKay gets Norf pick 3

My reading of it would be:
1. 2023 - instead of Reid and pick 41 we get 2, 15 and 20
2. 2024 - we lose our future R3 (circa 42 to 46) for Pick 19 and we move from our R2 pick at 22 to 25 to pick 20.

View attachment 1824001

Is this a godfather offer? Probably not. Does it cash in massively? I think so.

The 2024 piece is significant and should not be under estimated. We swap out a 2 picks around 23 and 41 for 19 and 20 and these will only slide back IF there is a band 1 compensation (I am ignoring NGA and FS bids) :whitecheck:

This year, instead of Reid and say someone like Hall at 41, we potentially get McKercher (2), Murphy (15) and Delean (or whoever we want at 20).

If I had my way and assuming realistic targets, we walk away this year with =
2. McKercher at 2 (best pure balanced mid in the draft)
15. Murphy at 15 (best lock down KPD in the draft to replace Barrass)
20. Delean (next best small forward behind Watson)
22 Zakostelsky (a CHB that will replace Gov)
36. Patton (general defender that can play tall or small
Brockman for 55 and 60
Flynn as a FA

OK - I am listening. It is a decent haul and upgrade from our current hand by getting McKercher instead of Reid.

If it was for Curtin, I am not doing it.
Im actually really like this idea with picks

Not sure about 2 KD, id like to see how Bazzo and Hedwards go next year

Id go Windor at 14, Hardemen at 20 and Collard at 36

Netting us McKercher, Windsor, Hardeman, ZZ and Collard

Thats a pure mid, winger, KD, rebounding HB and HF

Mckercher
Venables/Chesser/Brander 12/13/14
H Barnett 20
H Barnett 22

IM REALLY JUICED THINKING ABOUT IT

But those other 2x future 2nds make it tolerable I guess. Not kill myself but puke In a bucket tolerable

Last edited:
Just trying to distil this to simplify it while putting in the expected push back in position assuming MacKay gets Norf pick 3

My reading of it would be:
1. 2023 - instead of Reid and pick 41 we get 2, 15 and 20
2. 2024 - we lose our future R3 (circa 42 to 46) for Pick 19 and we move from our R2 pick at 22 to 25 to pick 20.

View attachment 1824001

Is this a godfather offer? Probably not. Does it cash in massively? I think so.

The 2024 piece is significant and should not be under estimated. We swap out a 2 picks around 23 and 41 for 19 and 20 and these will only slide back IF there is a band 1 compensation (I am ignoring NGA and FS bids) :whitecheck:

This year, instead of Reid and say someone like Hall at 41, we potentially get McKercher (2), Murphy (15) and Delean (or whoever we want at 20).

If I had my way and assuming realistic targets, we walk away this year with =
2. McKercher at 2 (best pure balanced mid in the draft)
15. Murphy at 15 (best lock down KPD in the draft to replace Barrass)
20. Delean (next best small forward behind Watson)
22 Zakostelsky (a CHB that will replace Gov)
36. Patton (general defender that can play tall or small
Brockman for 55 and 60
Flynn as a FA

OK - I am listening. It is a decent haul and upgrade from our current hand by getting McKercher instead of Reid.

If it was for Curtin, I am not doing it.
Looking at this I think id be ok with it, as long as its not Curtin naturally

Agree CC.
I recall in Tim Kelly negotiations Chris Scott said basically not give a leg up for other contenders, aka WCE.
Hopefully, we are mindful of that in dealings with Hawthorn, NM, et al who are roundabouts in the re-building stage. (contending for ladder climbs/list/next premiership)
Not saying be arsehats with trading, like Cats/Ess, just don't be roll over nice guys. FMD
Brockman is an easy one for WCE, as you've said already.
Backing ROB in🤞

Agreed also.

Too many people talk about win-win scenarios, but this competition is exactly a zero sum game. Making your opponents worse is almost as important as making yourselves better, and as you say, even more so when youre looking at the same premiership window.

Let's ruin North/Hawks.;)

Haynes has 1.2 million outstanding for 1year on his contract and wants that and another year of contract at a lower salary .
GWS pick 15 which will end up 20-21 would need to be on the table for a 1.2mil salary dump
Everything I had read suggested the Giants were expecting to pay a chunk of that salary.

If we had the space and a pick came back our way I wouldn’t be opposed, but that seems unlikely, even if we were able to convince him to finish his career here.

Re-watching Draft Day, as I do this time of year, does Pieman has as much autonomy as Sonny? I think not.

Re-watching Draft Day, as I do this time of year, does Pieman has as much autonomy as Sonny? I think not.
No. In the NFL system, many of the GM's can hire or fire the head coach. Not always but usually - Pats are different as Bill Belichick is both head coach and GM and the Cowboys owner is the GM.

Understand what Phil is saying re Harley's endurance/getting tagged.
Not as concerned about it, because he is a player that looks like you can throw him in any 3rd of the ground and will impact.
Getting tagged out of a game might be a good thing for his development. He seems like a player that doesn't like to lose, so might have a positive impact on his training intensity.
Kinda like positive news relayed from our last preseason that Hewett was trying to keep up with Ginbey.
Hopefully, it's a situation where Hewett keeps improving and opposition don't know which one out of him and Reid to tag in the future.
Ala Cousins/Judd. 2 brownlows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From memory and I could be wrong, board approval was required for the Kelly contract and trade

Given that Nisbett is on his way out and O’Brien still relatively new to the role of list manager I wouldn’t be surprised if trading away our first no.1 pick since 1996 required similar approval

Seeing all this fair trade stuff for 1 is making me ill, any trade for Reid will need to involved multiple picks in the top 10, and future picks might need to be included on top, I know what Phil said might seem level headed but he views Reid as either 2nd or 3rd best talent of the pool where vast majority view Reid as 1 and daylight second. Gc pick 4 having more value than our pick 1 at this stage from all the posts I’ve read recently…

I just about gave up on Williams this time last year but in a way I question how Simmo doesn’t view/trust him as a number one ruck after the season he just had. Surely there’s something to work with and improve on. I don’t personally see him as a forward purely cause he is a horrible set shot

I've finished with the combine today and i'm tired and likely to be a bit short with people.

I have two primary roles.
1. Be a part of draft, player interviews and their families to sift through the cliche's and bullshit for the truth
2. Scout specific players and along with the above look out for reasons not to draft or trade for players

I report scouting notes to the list manager and report everything else and directly to the head of the football department. I am no master draft scout, however particularly since I have been doing this I have a pretty good record of the players suggested as part of my recommendations who have been drafted, performing at or above what is expected for that draft pick.

Generally I am good at picking talls and players to play specific roles. I can be overly critical of some players as opposed to the general love tank that is played out through highlight video's that bigfooty tends to go for.

Just from a club perspective you don't look at how club tied players lower a draft pick. The open pool is the open pool. If you rate a FS/NGA player highly enough you bid on them and hope to get them otherwise they aren't thought of as much. You still do full scouting on them. So for all the crap where people go well pick 19 isn't pick 19 it's going to be pick 25 is bullshit. You still have pick 19 of the open pool.

This draft's top end is relatively weak. I rate Walter as the top prospect and toss and turn between Reid & McKercher for 2 and 3. I don't particularly rate most of the mids in this draft pool and of what I considered the big 5 in regards to HFF players who could move into the midfield this year only one has come on as expected and it's been more as a forward than as a mid. This years draft however is quite deep particularly when it comes to tall stocks, forward/rucks and role players (small backs, small forwards, pressure forwards etc). I see a lot of value in those areas.

Next years draft is just as compromised as this one, has a higher top end at this stage, a lot more quality midfield prospects but doesn't run as deep imo. Next year however I will be managing my investments, drinking beer, sea kayaking and hiking in SE asia. I am done with the industry and will just be following as a mostly neutral observer who watches most WCE games.

Also no, I have not heard anything about WCE plans and don't expect to.
Thank you for your thoughts mate.

Ju8st quickly. why do you think you're good as at picking talls but not mids and smalls?
With that in mind, is that why you could be rating Walter over Reid, due to size bias if you will.

Going against what you normally do and picking out flaws. What does Reid have that you've seen in virtually no draftees before him (if anything?)

RE holiday next year - We've heard that before. See you in 12 months mate :p

Given the draft is deep (player who have draftable skills but also flaws), please rate these players, most likely taken in the 2nd half of the draft or later, in order of who you would take?

Best and worst thing about the players.

Logan Morris
Boyd Woodcock
Aidan Clarke
Aidan O'Driscoll
Lance Collard

Kobe Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back