Trent Cotchin v Tom Swift

Remove this Banner Ad

Cotchin was my gamble this year, hoping he picks up to an 80ppg avg.

Woudnt hang your hat on it. Cotchin is still underdone and wont have alot of TOG therefor less points for your team unfortunatly. I think hell be an amazing player just need to nurse him through the injury problems and get him firing for next year and benond.

Swifty still managed to stay in this weeks team despite last weeks poor showing from him. Hopefully he turns it back on but imagine will take another 4-5 weeks to hit top flight again

Finally Woosha learnt his lesson, being a idiot early in the season, selecting a underdone Swift and then not letting him play in his natural position in the midfield.

Sent him back to the wafl and he got his fitness and form back.

Then brought him back for the derby and he was one of our shining lights with his run and carry.

He's a slow learner is Woosha, should of done that at the start of the season.

Finally Woosha learnt his lesson, being a idiot early in the season, selecting a underdone Swift and then not letting him play in his natural position in the midfield.

Sent him back to the wafl and he got his fitness and form back.

Then brought him back for the derby and he was one of our shining lights with his run and carry.

He's a slow learner is Woosha, should of done that at the start of the season.

Swift looked good as did Masten before his injury.

Any chance of leroy Jetta being enticed back to WA?

Swift looked good as did Masten before his injury.

Any chance of leroy Jetta being enticed back to WA?

He's from essendon so there's always a chance Mark Harvey may show some interest.

I know the eagles put a line through his name as he wasn't quick enough for a small foward.

Where's David Myers at ?

Will he be on the list next year ?

He's from essendon so there's always a chance Mark Harvey may show some interest.

I know the eagles put a line through his name as he wasn't quick enough for a small foward.

Where's David Myers at ?

Will he be on the list next year ?

I assume this is a make or break year for Jetta. Has played 2 games for Bendigo and has impressed the watchers. Likely to get a game in the next 2 or 3 weeks if he continues to impress. I am certain that if he doesn't stay at Essendon he will be sought by a couple of AFL clubs. You would think that Fremantle probably wouldn't be interested -( unless they get him in the PSD or rookie draft) as they are tracking nicely and have to find a way to keep all their rookies at the club next year. Although a regular contributor to BB is insistent that a WA recruiter asked him about Jetta at the end of 2009.

Myers is causing much discussion amongst Essendon supporters. The consensus at this stage is that he won't have a long career in the AFL. I actually find Myers to be a conundrum. Has played all his essendon games off half back - Often looks slow, poor below his knees when chasing a loose ball, slow decision-making at times - but in his one on one battles he has been solid and only got cut up on one occasion. Has played a number of games at Bendigo in the midfield and has excelled at clearances - I would like to see him get a run in the midfield - here comes the conundrum again - he is good at extracting the ball below his knees in a contested situation and has the body strength to hold on to the ball until it needs to be released. Anyway he needs to be given a string of 4 or 5 games to see what he can offer at this level.

Supporters are a touch concerned about Pears and Gumbleton being enticed to WA. Looking at both WA teams list - I would be more concerned about Pears.

I assume this is a make or break year for Jetta. Has played 2 games for Bendigo and has impressed the watchers. Likely to get a game in the next 2 or 3 weeks if he continues to impress. I am certain that if he doesn't stay at Essendon he will be sought by a couple of AFL clubs. You would think that Fremantle probably wouldn't be interested -( unless they get him in the PSD or rookie draft) as they are tracking nicely and have to find a way to keep all their rookies at the club next year. Although a regular contributor to BB is insistent that a WA recruiter asked him about Jetta at the end of 2009.

Myers is causing much discussion amongst Essendon supporters. The consensus at this stage is that he won't have a long career in the AFL. I actually find Myers to be a conundrum. Has played all his essendon games off half back - Often looks slow, poor below his knees when chasing a loose ball, slow decision-making at times - but in his one on one battles he has been solid and only got cut up on one occasion. Has played a number of games at Bendigo in the midfield and has excelled at clearances - I would like to see him get a run in the midfield - here comes the conundrum again - he is good at extracting the ball below his knees in a contested situation and has the body strength to hold on to the ball until it needs to be released. Anyway he needs to be given a string of 4 or 5 games to see what he can offer at this level.

Supporters are a touch concerned about Pears and Gumbleton being enticed to WA. Looking at both WA teams list - I would be more concerned about Pears.

Both WA clubs would love Pears.

Gumbleton would only be interested in Freo not west coast.

His family are massive Freo fans as was he before being drafted, his mum is still a Freo member and goes to all there games.

His family are massive Freo fans as was he before being drafted, his mum is still a Freo member and goes to all there games.

Must say that Essendon were lucky to get Pears at 23 in the ND. Will be the cornerstone of our defence in the upcoming years.

Gumbleton is tracking well - although his form may have been flattered in the last 2 weeks playing on Rookie players. He will receive a good test this week playing on Chaplin who is an under-rated KP. One thing I have noticed is that Gumby tends to lose balance after jostling in a one on one contest under a high ball. This is partially because he still needs to develop upper body strength and he has a problem with balance from time to time.

Pity about Masten - Was playing his best game for the year until injured - Why has he spent so much time at HF this year ?

Ebert played a fantastic game in the Derby. He won a stack of clearances, was strong at the contests and used the ball better than usual. I know that many rate Dangerfield higher - but Ebert may end up a better player through the weight of consistency. Dangerfield has lots of raw talent but hasn't put it all together yet.

Finally, a wonderful return by Rhys Palmer. A hard nosed footballer who puts his head over the ball and used it surprisingly well on Sunday.

Anyway lots of gnashing of teeth on the Essendon Board over the decision to recruit Myers before Palmer and the overlooking of Barlow.

Send Pears our way:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu: love his work. I thought he just signed a 2 year deal?

We have enough small fwds so no thanks to Jetta. All seriousness would he not suit WC needs more? You are waiting for Weedon and Broome, Jetta could come in an either make it or right him off. Same idea as JON. Trade wise he would cost you nothing

Would consider Myers for the Rookie list or a trade for a fringe player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

at this point in time they play like different players.

cotchin is confident in himself and his skill/strength.

swift just doesnt have the body to bust those tackles yet and cotchin has far superior balance also.

still happy with swift, for a second year player he's still going along nicely.

if anything, being one of our better players at the end of last year has heightened expectations on him to the point that he cant deliver.

cotchin is a deadset star though.

Cotchin has been slower to develop than i'm sure most Richmond supporters would have liked considering that he was such a high draft pick, but he looks as if he'll be a fine long term prospect for the Tigers. Swift (a much lower draft selection for the Eagles) has shown some ability but it is still a bit early to make a call on how good he might be.. I think that this comparison is very premature.

I can't believe how naive west coast supporters are. Cotchin is 10 time better than swift. I believe swift will turn out to be serviceable but cotchin will be a complete superstar. Also I am yet to see swifts "explosive pace" all I see is poor decision making and mediocre foot skills. Were as cotchin breaks tackles and has excellent foot skills and he looks like a goal kicking midfielder.

Cotchin has been slower to develop than i'm sure most Richmond supporters would have liked considering that he was such a high draft pick, but he looks as if he'll be a fine long term prospect for the Tigers. Swift (a much lower draft selection for the Eagles) has shown some ability but it is still a bit early to make a call on how good he might be.. I think that this comparison is very premature.

The only thing that has slowed Cotchin is injuries. He still is yet to complete a full pre season but can finally play 5 games in a row and now we are seeing the benefit. I cannot imagine what a pre season will do.

I would prefer 1 Cotchin over 5 Swifts aka I think Cotchin is 5 times better.

Its sad that some flogs feel the need to bag the s**t out of Swift just to pump up Cotchin even further.

Cotchin was pick #2, Swift pick #20.

Cotchin is comfortably ahead of Swift at this stage, however i didn't realise that a player's career was completely defined over their first 1-2 seasons.

Happy with picking Swift up at #20 and i think he'll turn out to be a fine player for us.

Its sad that some flogs feel the need to bag the s**t out of Swift just to pump up Cotchin even further.

Cotchin was pick #2, Swift pick #20.

Cotchin is comfortably ahead of Swift at this stage, however i didn't realise that a player's career was completely defined over their first 1-2 seasons.

Happy with picking Swift up at #20 and i think he'll turn out to be a fine player for us.

I don't want you to think I was making a indictment on Swift. It is just that Cotchin IMO is probably the best young footballer I have seen come to Richmond in my time. Swift will be a decent player but IMO Cotchin is a once in a generation player.

Swift will be serviceable...he lubed us up and penetrated in round 22. However I think it is stupid to compare the 2 in a thread by the OP.

I don't want you to think I was making a indictment on Swift. It is just that Cotchin IMO is probably the best young footballer I have seen come to Richmond in my time. Swift will be a decent player but IMO Cotchin is a once in a generation player.

Swift will be serviceable...he lubed us up and penetrated in round 22. However I think it is stupid to compare the 2 in a thread by the OP.

I think its only this year that Cotchin has actually 'produced' as opposed to teasing based on potential.

At the end of last year/start of this year I don't think the comparison was as ridiculous as some suggest.

Swift over achieved last year based on his history (2 years out of the game) and what was expected of him. As such expectations of him going into 2010 were higher than they perhaps should have been. Writing him off now is silly, I think he has the talent to be more than 'serviceable'. Only time will tell.

Cotchin is a class act. If he stays injury free he should become one of the elite midfielders in the competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back