shiva25

The Frisk
Apr 19, 2002
Shyte Creek
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
LIONS / LIVERPOOL
Hawthorn have been very competitive so far this season and appear to be heading in the right direction with their development but one thing i think they got wrong this season was appointing Vandenberg as captain.Sure enough he tries hard and has a go but i dont think he has the leadership qaulities needed to be a good captain.He should have nailed that goal before 3/4 time last night and has missed many others in previous games in the past.On top of that he has poor disposal most of the the time and doesnt appear to talk to his players enough to get them up when they are down.Hodge or Evirett would have been a far better choice as captain in my opinion

Tore your mob to pieces tho 2 weeks ago, remember?
2 Captains goals last week, remember that?

You guys only look at negatives...

The funniest thing about appointing Vandenberg captain that in a game he is the most likely player to crack under pressure then any other football in the AFL. I dont understand how someone who gets so nervous when he is under pressure can be captaincy material.. Its clear Luke Hodge shud be captain but i am guessing Vandenberg was the only person who wanted the job otherwise im sure he wudnt have it.

Everitt i thought would have been the best choice, he is fairly out there in the media and hes fairly good at that aspect of it and he is somone who can just lift a team with a passage of play, huge tap out to advantage that gets the momentum , goal etc. Or if they wanted a longer term option i would have gone Sam Mitchell who from the tv appearances comes across a strong leader at the club and somone who could lift/spark them, and hodge seems to have leader written all over him too

ATTENTION: ALL NON-HAWTHORN SUPPORTERS.

Whoever captains the Hawthorn club is none of your business. You have no idea what Vandenberg is doing around the club, on the training track, how players react to his leadership, and his work with younger player development. Your opinions on the Hawthorn captaincy are worthless. Just thought I'd let you all know that.

he is a battler who is there so hodge doesnt have to take the heat while the team is struggling. he is a stop gap, used to protect the younger players.

shiva25 said:
Hawthorn have been very competitive so far this season and appear to be heading in the right direction with their development but one thing i think they got wrong this season was appointing Vandenberg as captain.Sure enough he tries hard and has a go but i dont think he has the leadership qaulities needed to be a good captain.He should have nailed that goal before 3/4 time last night and has missed many others in previous games in the past.On top of that he has poor disposal most of the the time and doesnt appear to talk to his players enough to get them up when they are down.Hodge or Evirett would have been a far better choice as captain in my opinion
And you are basing this on.....??
Unless you are part of the inner sanctum of the club how on earth would you know what leadership qualities any bloke has. 41 out of 42 players voted for Vanders to get the gig, pretty hard to argue with those figures. Vanders prepares as hard as anyone, is aggressive, and in the past few years has often been mentioned as the barometer of hawthron. When he is up and firing, usually so is Hawthorn, and the same in reverse. A captain doesn't necessarily have to be the best player on the list, someone like Vanders is a great example of a bloke who pushes himself to extract every last ounce of talent out of himself. He was the right choice IMO. Hodge and Mitchell are too young and don't need the added burden of being skipper yet, Spida would've been okay but says too many dumb things I think, and whilst Crawf is the perfect man for the job I admire AC's stance that if he was prepared to give it up last year then he shouldn't be considered.
Vanders until Hodge, Mitchell or Bateman are ready for the role. Or Tim Clarke. ;)

OneEyedHawk said:
And you are basing this on.....??
Unless you are part of the inner sanctum of the club how on earth would you know what leadership qualities any bloke has. 41 out of 42 players voted for Vanders to get the gig, pretty hard to argue with those figures. Vanders prepares as hard as anyone, is aggressive, and in the past few years has often been mentioned as the barometer of hawthron. When he is up and firing, usually so is Hawthorn, and the same in reverse. A captain doesn't necessarily have to be the best player on the list, someone like Vanders is a great example of a bloke who pushes himself to extract every last ounce of talent out of himself. He was the right choice IMO. Hodge and Mitchell are too young and don't need the added burden of being skipper yet, Spida would've been okay but says too many dumb things I think, and whilst Crawf is the perfect man for the job I admire AC's stance that if he was prepared to give it up last year then he shouldn't be considered.
Vanders until Hodge, Mitchell or Bateman are ready for the role. Or Tim Clarke. ;)
I may not know what goes on in the inner sanctum of the club but you can usually spot leadership qualities during a game and Vandenberg doesnt have any and thats what i am basing my opinion on.I couldnt care less how many of the players voted for him to be captain as that means bugger all if you cant show captaincy material out on the park.Hodge would be perfect for the job regardless of age as there have been younger captains than him in the the AFL that have coped quite well with the job

theorangeapple said:
he is a battler who is there so hodge doesnt have to take the heat while the team is struggling. he is a stop gap, used to protect the younger players.
Spot on.

And look at how Hodge, Mitchell and Bateman are playing this year. They are our future leaders but needed to grow as footballers before being given the burden of captaincy.

Vandenberg is a battler, yes. Wouldn't get a game at some clubs, yes. But he trains hard and has alot of respect from his teammates. Plus he's good at punching Essendon scum in the skull. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

vandenburg is not the most skillful of captain, which is obvious. but as stated before our future leaders aren't ready yet. Hodge Bateman Mitchell are all developing as players, and weren't ready. Vandenburg obviously has a lot of leadership qualities or wouldn't have 95% votes from his peers to be captain, the players know more than what we do looking at the tv screen I presume.

shiva25 said:
I may not know what goes on in the inner sanctum of the club but you can usually spot leadership qualities during a game and Vandenberg doesnt have any and thats what i am basing my opinion on.I couldnt care less how many of the players voted for him to be captain as that means bugger all if you cant show captaincy material out on the park.Hodge would be perfect for the job regardless of age as there have been younger captains than him in the the AFL that have coped quite well with the job
Stupid comment. Who the players think would be the best captain means bugger all because you can't spot any of his leadership qualities on the field. :rolleyes:
And who cares if ther have been younger captains than Hodge. Every person is different, and they probably just want Hodge to be concentrating on getting as fit as possible and playing good footy without the burden of captaining a struggling club at 21.
As I said before, Vanders is a great example to young players how to get the maximum out of yourself with hard work and immaculate preparation. Is the best candidate for a couple of years until one of the younger blokes are ready.

Adelaide Hawk said:

Whoever captains the Hawthorn club is none of your business. You have no idea what Vandenberg is doing around the club, on the training track, how players react to his leadership, and his work with younger player development. Your opinions on the Hawthorn captaincy are worthless. Just thought I'd let you all know that.

Yes but Richie Hindenburg does very little on the field where it actually counts.

Adelaide Hawk said:

i agree and he has shown plenty on the field as well to prove his captaincy never say die attitude he does not stop try till the final siren i am happy with his appointment!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back