Opinion VICBias - Genuine Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The reality si that all 3 major state leagues were in the crapper. The WAFL and the SANFL needed the transfer fees to survive as they had really become a feed league to the VFL. And the VFL were poaching and paying players money that the league or the clubs did not have.

Footy was not in a good space anywhere financially.

This is true. Everyone was going broke.

The era of cheap money is over. It will be interesting to see how it all ends up during next financial crisis, which occurs approx every 20 years. Last one was 15 years ago….

Bigger priority is addressing the biased H&A Fixture where teams like WC and Freo get 10 games with a true home ground advantage, but then dont play 10 away games where they face a true away disadvantage.
If you are that concerned about home ground advantage. Yeah there's 10 Vic sides . Collingwood can relocate to Darwin or Canberra and have a home stadium for themselves. Going by how you are thinking

If you are that concerned about home ground advantage. Yeah there's 10 Vic sides . Collingwood can relocate to Darwin or Canberra and have a home stadium for themselves. Going by how you are thinking
We have a home ground, the MCG, the AFL should fixturing ALL our home games there, just like the WA and SA clubs.

We have a home ground, the MCG, the AFL should fixturing ALL our home games there, just like the WA and SA clubs.
I couldn't agree more, and that will be achieved when they reduce the number of Vic teams to 5-6, spread across three home grounds. You will then have the same fair H&A fixture as every other team, playing 11 home games and one away game at the MCG, like we play at Optus. Simple

I couldn't agree more, and that will be achieved when they reduce the number of Vic teams to 5-6, spread across three home grounds. You will then have the same fair H&A fixture as every other team, playing 11 home games and one away game at the MCG, like we play at Optus. Simple
I am glad you don't run the league.
Let's say we kick teams out from Vic.

We keep Geelong, Richmond,Carlton,Essendon and Collingwood, the big 4 and Geelong just because.
Now add up the supporters lost to the game, how do you think the TV networks will feel about that next time they bid?

I would guess you just gave rugby the title of #1 sport in Oz.

As soon as we go back to state leagues and you sooks piss off the better I say.

Have you actually thought this one through?

A 12 team comp with 6 in Victoria.

WA teams will have a slightly worse situation in terms of home ground advantage than they currently have and do the same amount of travel as they currently do.

Melb teams go from 5 to 6 interstate travels and have less neutral ground games.

So we'll kill a heap of clubs so that Melb clubs travel once more per year and non-Vic home ground advantage situation gets slightly worse.

Last edited:

WA teams will have a slightly worse situation in terms of home ground advantage than they currently have and do the same amount of travel as they currently do.

Melb teams go from 5 to 6 interstate travels.

So we'll kill a heap of clubs so that Melb clubs travel once more per year and non-Vic home ground advantage situation gets slightly worse.
There is a few that just can't handle the truth.

If the comp was 12 teams, they would still travel the same, it's just the others travel more.
Teams like Freo who struggle to win away, would still struggle to win away.

The fact is, they struggle and most likely always will, just like the Saints, every now and then they may have a good patch, but face the truth, they will never be like West Coast.

There is a few that just can't handle the truth.

If the comp was 12 teams, they would still travel the same, it's just the others travel more.
Teams like Freo who struggle to win away, would still struggle to win away.

The fact is, they struggle and most likely always will, just like the Saints, every now and then they may have a good patch, but face the truth, they will never be like West Coast.

It's the era of claiming victim status - the system is against you - when you don't succeed.

When there are police shootings at non-violent traffic stops and the non-Victorians get shot 15 out of the last 17 times questions should be asked.

I know you think that 15 out of 17 is definitive proof, however Australians went a patch of winning 13 out 16 Mens Wimbledon Singles titles - without Australians being close to 55% of the competitors in the draw. Shit like this happens.

As well as being 15 out of 17, it's also 15 out of 23 or 20 out of 32 which is 62%, which is about the average percentage of vic clubs in the comp over that time.

Melb teams go from 5 to 6 interstate travels.

The competition is grossly distorted by the current fixture. Under a 12 team comp with 5 or 6 Vic teams and 22 rounds we would travel the same amount we currently do, but the Vic teams will travel more and therefore the net effect of excess travel moderated. And we don't have to put up with the bullshit of Vic teams like Essendon not leaving the state at all rounds 16-23, we don't have fixtures distorted by commerce, it's fairer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The competition is grossly distorted by the current fixture. Under a 12 team comp with 5 or 6 Vic teams and 22 rounds we would travel the same amount we currently do, but the Vic teams will travel more and therefore the net effect of excess travel moderated. And we don't have to put up with the bullshit of Vic teams like Essendon not leaving the state at all rounds 16-23, we don't have fixtures distorted by commerce, it's fairer.
Under your scenario, some vic teams would travel less and some Vic clubs would travel 1 game more.

Inequities in the draw is much more about who you play twice which is a previous year's ladder bias rather than Vic bias.

Under your scenario, some vic teams would travel less and some Vic clubs would travel 1 game more.

Inequities in the draw is much more about who you play twice which is a previous year's ladder bias rather than Vic bias.
What Vic teams would travel less? The ones that sell home games? They can still do that if they want.

What Vic teams would travel less? The ones that sell home games? They can still do that if they want.
Wouldn't that subvert your goal of 10 home ground advantage, 10 away disadvantage and 2 neutral games?

I know you're convinced that vic teams travelling once more a year would be radically better and the cost of destroying clubs and alienating fans would be worth it. Seems a bizarre belief to me.

Wouldn't that subvert your goal of 10 home ground advantage, 10 away disadvantage and 2 neutral games?

I know you're convinced that vic teams travelling once more a year would be radically better and the cost of destroying clubs and alienating fans would be worth it. Seems a bizarre belief to me.
No reducing the number of Vic teams would have myriad benefits to a national competition, of which one is a better fixture.

No reducing the number of Vic teams would have myriad benefits to a national competition, of which one is a better fixture.

They don't want a better fixture as they benefit now from the fixed fixture. Self interest always wins and when you are on a good thing then defend it to the cows come home and convince your self it's good for the game.

"It's not a lie if you believe it"

Here you are sooking about the comp, and telling me to get used to it, that's hilarious.
You're all over the place, seriously. The aim is to actually have a proper national comp. If you want a fairer national comp, the baked in advantages enjoyed by Vic teams perpetuating a VFL + interlopers view can't continue, the two are incompatible. I get it, you don't want to lose advantages. Pointing this out to you isn't sooking, it's duscussion

They don't want a better fixture as they benefit now from the fixed fixture. Self interest always wins and when you are on a good thing then defend it to the cows come home and convince your self it's good for the game.

"It's not a lie if you believe it"
If you think I care about the fixture, you're way out.

I couldn't give a rats if we traveled the same amount of times.

What I do care about is culling clubs to make some people happy, if you want to be fair dinkum about being fair, then cull every club that can't stand on their own, you know, the ones that take more than others.
Make the league stronger that way, we found out the hard way with Covid, the clubs that begged for a handouts.

You're all over the place, seriously. The aim is to actually have a proper national comp. If you want a fairer national comp, the baked in advantages enjoyed by Vic teams perpetuating a VFL + interlopers view can't continue, the two are incompatible. I get it, you don't want to lose advantages. Pointing this out to you isn't sooking, it's duscussion
I pointed out to you the ramifications with your proposal, but you don't want to listen, so don't start saying it's just a discussion, you're a sook.

If you think I care about the fixture, you're way out.

I couldn't give a rats if we traveled the same amount of times.

What I do care about is culling clubs to make some people happy, if you want to be fair dinkum about being fair, then cull every club that can't stand on their own, you know, the ones that take more than others.
Make the league stronger that way, we found out the hard way with Covid, the clubs that begged for a handouts.

I am all for that, if you and your sponsors can't finance yourself then you should not be in the comp. If that means we end up with an 10 team comp then so be it. That doesn't mean clubs need to die. Fitzroy never died, they just went and played where they could afford to play.

I don't want clubs to be culled either but I also don't want my club to help fund clubs who can't get their act together. Like you I am lucky I follow a large wealthy club. But so be it. If this league is about money and you continually say we can't do things because we would lose money so it is about money yes?

Then lets make it about money. If the league can make it about money then why can't us the clubs be about money.

My club can afford to hire more staff than another club, so be it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back