List Mgmt. Welcome Campbell Chesser (Pick 14, 2021 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Another failed draft selection. Get someone else in and move on from Chesser.
It looks like a dud couple of players around his position in the draft. Port traded to swap picks with us and took Sinn, who has hardly played at all.

Chesser doesn't look like a wing at all. I'd like to see him got to WAFL and play half back. If he can shut a player down and use his speed to counter attack, then he'll be useful.

Can pick up a loose ground ball (and racks up a few possessions that way standing on outside of contests and waiting for ball to spill out) but can't win a contest and seems to s*** his pants every time he does get the ball and just give off a short range handball to somebody usually in no better position than him and sometimes in a worse position.

If he has any pace or acceleration away from a contest i am yet to see it.

The Chesser bungle was made even more disappointing watching recent Geelong games and seeing Toby Conway who is a KPF also taken after Chesser in the draft who looks a likely type.

What are basing these comments on ?

To me he looks like a player who has no feel for the game and his inability to read the play is a serious concern.
He's 20.

He's 18 odd games in.

He's copping it left, right and centre. My natural Petch instincts kick in.

I think he's got a particular set of skills that can be developed into something much better.

I think he's being thrust into a role (wing, outside mid) he's not naturally gifted at. I think his best work so far has been on the inside with creative handball use to those on the outside.

I think our current set up isn't the easiest for most players to develop, especially one coming into the system with a lack of footy. The need to be patient with Chesser, more so than most draftees, is apparent.

Feels like Chess is a confidence player.
When he gets out of his own head and just plays footy he has shown a few really promising signs. Seems to go back into his shell far too readily at this stage.

Hopefully he can work it out as he has some pretty good attributes.

He's 20.

He's 18 odd games in.

He's copping it left, right and centre. My natural Petch instincts kick in.

I think he's got a particular set of skills that can be developed into something much better.

I think he's being thrust into a role (wing, outside mid) he's not naturally gifted at. I think his best work so far has been on the inside with creative handball use to those on the outside.

I think our current set up isn't the easiest for most players to develop, especially one coming into the system with a lack of footy. The need to be patient with Chesser, more so than most draftees, is apparent.

Now that I think about it I get your mind set, because you are indoctrinated in the Perth Football Club way of thinking ;) - where there is life there is hope, even if it may be in ICU, on life support.

Agree with the bolded bit as his best work thus far, his more impressive traits are to date, his touch below his knees, however, it's hard to be an impactful inside mid when you have an aversion for the impact zone at the coal face, where you need to show composure and hold your nerve.

Sounds like the definition of a " list clogger ".

For what its worth I think we will persist with him as the Club historically ( most Clubs actually not just us ) have been loath to cut players that they have used high draft capital on and therefore afford them some greater leeway, in length of tenure on their list.

Your Petch comparison is a bit of a worry as I would expect and hope, that someone drafted at pick #14, would not take 6 years in the system to establish themselves, the caveat on that is that a ruck or a KPP may need that amount of time to show that they are a keeper.

The remainder of this season will be crucial as he needs to show more AFL moments in his game and more importantly IMO, he needs to show that he is learning his craft and show real signs of game improvement.

Over the next two / three seasons I expect that the Club will be drafting in quite a few young kids and the likelihood of him being overtaken on the depth chart, on his current showings, is a real possibility.
That coupled with trading in specific role players, would suggest that Chesser, on exposed form, will have his work cut out establishing himself as best 22.

We really hyped this guy up, yet to see any of that talent yet.
To be fair that's not strictly true, when he came on as the sub for Gaff he finally showed what we've been waiting for from him.
But I haven't really seen it since, and apart from one pre-season game I haven't really seen it before either.
Guys like Tunbridge and hell, even Brander had similar patches that would make you think they were going to be good AFL players only to never really show it again.
Hopefully not the case with Chesser considering we spent a decent pick on him. I think we need to change things up with him, maybe chuck him on the ball full time in the WAFL for a bit or something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The same Johnson who just got subbed out yesterday

Beat me to it.

Can assure you it was an elite subbing. Dockers did it coz he was dominating too much.

The same Johnson who just got subbed out yesterday

That would be the one and he has shown more than Chesser, but not by that much more that it's a dossie of a selection *up.

And I am a tad biased as Johnson was who I wanted at that pick and I will admit that I was pissed when we made our pick.

Beat me to it.

Can assure you it was an elite subbing. Dockers did it coz he was dominating too much.

In hind sight Clarke would have been a better player to have subbed off ;) ..... :think: then again given the outcome maybe not, it worked out for the better ........... if you don't follow the Violet Crumbles..

Chesser's ceiling is prob matt Rosa areas imo. There's a demographic that turn a blind eye to him because everyone is s**t scared if he was traded/delisted it'd upset harley because they are best mates, I don't think it's true harley isn't going anywhere. Reality is if he was a rookie/forth round pick majority would say bust by now but the clubs invested a bit on him and have no choice but to back him in. I'd 100% rather see him playing than gaff atm but if he doesn't show a bit more by the derby i think playing a big block of footy in the wafl is the best. Playing him as a sub is poor coaching for his development

Remove this Banner Ad

Back