List Mgmt. Welcome Harley Reid (Pick 1, 2023 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

What's with Soccer and the kids getting into training so young? One of my little blokes school mates wanted him to play last year. He'd just turned 5 and the expectation was there would be training as well as a weekend game.

This year he's playing AusKick and it's game only, I don't think they start any training until around 8 years old

edit no judgement - genuine curiosity and wondering if it's just code related.
Yeah in Victoria anyway the minimum age group is under 6s, but you can play as a 5 year old (have to turn 5 before season starts), which my son did last year.

It was training on Tuesday and game Saturday (against other clubs)

Last year as a under ager he struggled a bit and in games lost interest about 20 mins in and just started playing with some of the other kids.

This year tho he is killing it, dribbling around players and scoring goals. Pretty cool to see the growth.

He's right though. Sheezel's in his second season now, so should be used more in the middle and going forward.

He could have 50 touches and they'd be worthless if it's short kicks across half back.
I'm happy we are playing Harley in his natural position. Having Yeo and Kelly consistently in there with Ginbey hopefully lessens the load on Reid hence avoiding Ginbey type soft tissue issues at the end of the year. My point was really about media bullshit and not letting outside voices influence player development.

Don't forget Hall. Reid says Hall was the only one back home who could stop him consistently!
Friends both traded to WC and both midfielders, augurs well for our future..
Just want to see what Hall brings!?

According to all that, all he would be is a tagger. Which there aren’t many of left.

Let’s hope it’s a bit more than a Hutchings clone

I don't want to throw shade at our new messiah, but i do feel a couple of those broken tackle stats were a bit generous.

Looks to me a high tackle and free kick counts as a broken tackle?

Copped 3 of those. Then there was when we got a free for something else, Harley reacts out of the middle, runs away from his oppo who had half assed laid an arm him and takes the advantage... apparently that is credited as a broken tackle also?

Realistically i think it was probably more like 4 or so actual broken tackles. Which is still quite impressive.

Thanks Sheldon

I am really looking forward to the day we have fully fit Hewett and Culley playing alongside Harley.

Along with Yeo and Ginbey that is five big strong mids. ;):eek::oops:

Are we going too far adding a 194cm Smillie?

Just need Harely to get everyone's 'don't argue' technique up to his standards and then bring on the running of the bulls.:hearteyes::tearsofjoy:

See, I picture that as saying you can’t wait to see Embley and a Selwood playing alongside Judd.

I can see hewett but Culley is all speculation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to all that, all he would be is a tagger. Which there aren’t many of left.

Let’s hope it’s a bit more than a Hutchings clone
Who knows what he is at this stage? Doesn't necessarily mean he was a tagger, could've been a mid who was good at tackling Reid.
Hutchings was a solid role player, arguably better than a couple of seniors we have left.
He wasn't flash, but was reliable.

Really hope Chesser is a player that can build his confidence up playing with Harley. Referring to previously mentioned Harley's effect on team mates. Bit more BSD from Chess once he finds it, hopefully.
Bit of competition for Alec Waterman in Perth nightlife social scene, by the looks. Will have to hear from Alec's Auntie's carer's POV before I'm confident in that though
T

See, I picture that as saying you can’t wait to see Embley and a Selwood playing alongside Judd.

I can see hewett but Culley is all speculation.

I wasnt suggesting they all are guns. More so that they are all massive units.

And I forgot Hall, another 190cm mid.

Ried, Ginbey, Hewett, Hall, Culley plus Yeo and Chesser. They are all big units for mids.

Thats 7 mids all who are big bodied.

Which leads into who do we target this draft? And future trade periods.

If Warner ever came across we start looking huge.

Feel we will be targeting FOS, Jagga Smith or Draper this draft. More balanced running mids who can kick and rack up numbers being fed by the bigger mids.

10 years $18m... that should be the contract offered in 3 weeks time when we can.
Thats ridiculous and kills a team cap

What if he does a knee, does a Darling and has minimal growth, what if he can't build a tank ala the old number 9

Im very excited by Ried but happy to extend to end 2028 for big dollars

I doubt he'd sign a 10 year deal anyway

I’d be (pleasantly) surprised if Reid signs a contract extension this year as I don’t see the upside for him in doing so since he’s contracted through to 2026 as it is

The club will be keen to get something done early next year though as that’s when the chatter from over east will begin in earnest

Thats ridiculous and kills a team cap

What if he does a knee, does a Darling and has minimal growth, what if he can't build a tank ala the old number 9

Im very excited by Ried but happy to extend to end 2028 for big dollars

I doubt he'd sign a 10 year deal anyway

Reid either signs a shortish extension with us or leaves on long term mega deal.

He would rightly want to understand the direction of the club, and progress of the rebuild before signing on.

2 year extension on 900K-1m depending on his next 25 games.

I’d be (pleasantly) surprised if Reid signs a contract extension this year as I don’t see the upside for him in doing so since he’s contracted through to 2026 as it is

The club will be keen to get something done early next year though as that’s when the chatter from over east will begin in earnest

What do you think changes from Reid’s perspective between this year early next year?

Mid next year is earliest he will sign imo, and he could leave it to the early rounds 2026.

I find it hard to believe he will sign without concrete evidence this club is going somewhere, and it will take another 12-18 months for that evidence to emerge.

Another important draft and trade period this year imo. We need to nail it to show we are moving in the right direction.

What's with Soccer and the kids getting into training so young? One of my little blokes school mates wanted him to play last year. He'd just turned 5 and the expectation was there would be training as well as a weekend game.

This year he's playing AusKick and it's game only, I don't think they start any training until around 8 years old

edit no judgement - genuine curiosity and wondering if it's just code related.
It’s a bit of a code thing. Soccer parents are different to AFL parents that’s all I’ll say 🤣.

I think also the sooner you can teach the kids a little structure in terms of holding position and get them passing the ball the sooner it looks like football rather than a bunch of kids running around in a group chasing a round ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back