List Mgmt. Welcome Harley Reid (Pick 1, 2023 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Few people seem to have the vision of Stevey Wonder comparing Reid's explosiveness or pace with Judd.

Eagles Judd was on another level, not remotely seen since.

Reid is powerful no doubt, but you're on another planet thinking Reid cruising out of a stoppage is anything like Judd exploding from a contest and leaving a collection of opposition in his wake.

Half as explosive as Judd. Apples and oranges. He really is more like Dusty for mine, but much better overhead, a Dusty/Toby Greene hybrid. Similar 'cruising yet powerful' style.
I agree - Reid isn't anywhere near Judd in terms of pace. However I think Reid has more power than Judd, which is something in itself for a 6 gamer.

Did lol at the beginning of the second quarter when Reid bursts out of the centre bounce and has a running ping at goals (which misses).

There’s one forward free in our 50 with his hands up in exasperation after not receiving the short pass.

It’s Jamie Cripps.

Did lol at the beginning of the second quarter when Reid bursts out of the centre bounce and has a running ping at goals (which misses).

There’s one forward free in our 50 with his hands up in exasperation after not receiving the short pass.

It’s Jamie Cripps.

Having mids capable of running forward from the centre and kick goals from 50-60m is actually a huge thing for a side. It forces the defence to come up at them and then there are a bunch of opportunities for loosey-gooseys over the top with the short pass.

The roof would have come off the place if Reid had slotted that one I reckon! The best thing though (in the absence of said goal) was Harley was right there contesting the kick in from the point and generating another scoring chance.

Having mids capable of running forward from the centre and kick goals from 50-60m is actually a huge thing for a side. It forces the defence to come up at them and then there are a bunch of opportunities for loosey-gooseys over the top with the short pass.

The roof would have come off the place if Reid had slotted that one I reckon! The best thing though (in the absence of said goal) was Harley was right there contesting the kick in from the point and generating another scoring chance.
Was disappointed he didn’t handball to himself NN BOTY style

Crazy to think 4 years after drafting Judd we played in the 05 granny, then won the flag in 06. Same timeline see Reid hoisting the cup in 2028.

I know I know getting ahead of myself. But it’s fun to have hope again after the last 3 years of misery.

I think people forget we had Cousins in his absolute prime already and had drafted Kerr 1 year before Judd. We also had Glass, Hunter, Wirra, Embley, Cox, Rojo and picked up Lynch in the same draft year as Judd.

A huge amount of the key premiership pieces were already on the list by the time or at the end of Judd's draft year. I don't think the same can be said now.

It’s Jamie Cripps.

Yeah, he had the option to give the handball to Kelly as well, but I don't mind him having a crack, especially when he's coming out of the middle at full tilt. He learned his lesson later when he was in the same position but gave the hands to Yeo instead but missed the shot.

Even though the last couple years have been horrid, we've been pretty blessed as a footy club. Matera to Judd and Cousins to Nic Nat to Harley. Generational fan starters. North have been trying to find a marquee player since Carey if you don't want to include Boomer Harvey or Goldstein.

if he kiced that goal from the CBD I would have blown a fat load. Reckon we’ll see him starting go for goals from centre clearances. This is why I’m keen for Flynn’s return tbh.

We’ll probably be more attacking out of the middle with Bailey in the centre circle. His leap is pretty elite.

Around the grounds we need Flynn

It’s Jamie Cripps.
I was at the game and cripps pulled him up for this at the set shot that followed a few plays later

We’ll probably be more attacking out of the middle with Bailey in the centre circle. His leap is pretty elite.

Around the grounds we need Flynn
Flynn oddly has a big amount of hitouts to advantage for not being an elite ruck, yeo and reid could feast on this

I was at the game and cripps pulled him up for this at the set shot that followed a few plays later
hope he was not hard on him, last thing i want to do is curb enthusiasm like that.
Especially since Cripps burns players like that every ******* week. That’s why I mentioned it in the first place

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Especially since Cripps burns players like that every ******* week. That’s why I mentioned it in the first place
If you watch his second goal (from the free kick at quarter time), you'll see Cripps goes directly to Harley and pulls him off the ground and is speaking to him for about 20 seconds before Harley is at the end of his mark. He continues yelling at him (presumably advice) and is the first there to congratulate Reid. Cripps also then is the one who pulls Reid to his feet after his huge hanger in the third quarter and says something to him briefly. He then is the second to congratulate Reid (after Petch) for his goal. Ergo I'll give Cripps the benefit of the doubt and suggest that he too is invested in Reid's continual improvement.

I like how the other boys protect him, the high for his second goal 3 freo scum were standing over him/ being dick heads. darling stepped over Reid and moved them all back so cripp could pick him up then staunch them from behind jack
Something that's been lacking big time.

Harley hurts you with every stat. His kicks are accurate and penetrate, his handballs put a team mate into space and he takes contested marks in dangerous positions. Rolls Royce and the most valuable player in the AFL bar none. You ask any team if they could pick a player to bring into their squad and it would be Harley.

I think people forget we had Cousins in his absolute prime already and had drafted Kerr 1 year before Judd. We also had Glass, Hunter, Wirra, Embley, Cox, Rojo and picked up Lynch in the same draft year as Judd.

A huge amount of the key premiership pieces were already on the list by the time or at the end of Judd's draft year. I don't think the same can be said now.
How many of those key premiership pieces were highly rated when Judd debuted?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back