List Mgmt. Welcome Campbell Chesser (Pick 14, 2021 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly, I was both skeptical and cynical when Chesser was called out, knowing that we could have taken either of Hobbs or Johnson before trading down.

I hadn't seen him at length; he had played barely half a dozen matches in two years - commentary was describing him as a rebounding defender with good foot skills but lacking in the contest. No other club was being linked until the second round, yet here we were stumping up a first round pick for a back flanker over contested midfielders that were sorely needed.

And let's be honest, the highlights packages provided look pretty average.

However, NONE of that is a true reflection of the player that we have just picked up.

If you have a want for masochism (or working from home so you don't fall foul of your employer's alcohol testing the day after melting over the draft), go have a look at the broadcasts of Sandringham's matches that he was involved in.

What you will see is a player with the following characteristics:
  • runs very hard in both directions
  • has exceptional acceleration over the first 4-5 paces
  • puts himself into good positions forward of the ball time and time again (got burnt by team-mates on many occasions, but just keeps presenting in space)
  • vision and reading of play that is elite
  • acts decisively and makes good decisions
  • kicks take a high arc, but they have penetration and hit their targets
  • disposal that maintains its effectiveness at full pace
  • disposal that maintains its effectiveness under opposition pressure

I'll put it out there right now as well - we have not drafted half back here - what we have is a midfielder who is capable of playing anywhere through the middle.

The Dragons have been absolutely stacked with talent (nine players taken over the three draft days this year). With so many options dominating the centre, they placed their best executors on the outside (Chesser, Sinn and Callaghan) where they could inflict maximum damage going forward.

Injuries forced Callaghan to be used inside and the rest is history. Chesser however suffered a severe injury himself at the moment that further opportunity could have beckoned - when he did return it was back on the wing again and looked far from being 100% fit.

Now, let me be clear - I am not trying to place Chesser on a direct comparison with Callaghan by any means - just using the example to demonstrate that his placement on the outside at Sandringham should not be taken as evidence of not being capable of contributing on the inside or winning his own ball.

Watch what he does on the ground. When starting behind play he will look to provide overlap options through the corridor. If he is on the wing he comes around the back of the stoppage and opens up the other side ground. When he gets time on ball he intuitively recognises channels at stoppages and uses his acceleration to clear possession through them at pace.

His strengths are typically those that successfully translate to higher level - vision, disposal, acceleration, execution under pressure. There is a lot to work with and get excited about here when he joins the club next year.

He also has more mass than Horne-Francis, Daicos, Callaghan, Erasmus, Hobbs, Sinn, Johnson, Goater, Sonsie, Knevitt, Roberts, Draper - indeed the only midfielder in the pool with more mass was Sheldrick.

His 83kg is already 5kg heavier than Petrevski-Seton and Trew. He also outweighs West, O'Neill, Cole and Kelly - in fact he is same weight as Duggan and only 2kg lighter than Redden. His body is far more ready-made than has been widely considered.

Furthermore he is a natural leader who is confident and driven to get the most from himself and his career.

His positive approach will be popular with the playing group and his well-adjusted outlook (seeing living away from family as an opportunity to develop as an individual) minimises any future flight risk.

The more I see of him, the more I am being convinced that his selection by the club has been a very smart move.

He also becomes the first pick 14 for the club since Travis Gaspar in 1999.
Jizz-in-my-pants.gif

Seriously though, after listening to ROB's assessment of him (dangerous I know) I feel much better about this pick and how they see him addressing the midfield needs. Straight up said that they only see him as a midfielder and not a HBF and that appears true based on Dylan82's comments. Bloke is huge already and we are in desperate need of a player coming through who has strong leadership and drives standards, which is everything this bloke does according to his junior coaches.

Could end up being an absolutely inspired pick with a free second rounder next season to boot.

I wouldn't worry about perceived lack of inside ability as he showed that at U16's.

For me he needs to work on three things. He is a very good kick of the ball but his shorter to mid range kicks can get a bit loopy. Needs to keep his head over the ball. His long kicks fly but they are more like Yeo's long kicks than Jetta's. From what i've seen he can hit an area on the long kicks but not Jetta or Hurn level precision onto the chest of a running player etc.

The last worrying thing is development. He's obviously put a lot of time into his body and preparation in these last two frustrating years but those last 2 years of development as a junior are incredibly important. It's why I can see a lot of busts early and some absolute gems late in this draft.

Seriously though, after listening to ROB's assessment of him (dangerous I know) I feel much better about this pick and how they see him addressing the midfield needs. Straight up said that they only see him as a midfielder and not a HBF and that appears true based on Dylan82's comments. Bloke is huge already and we are in desperate need of a player coming through who has strong leadership and drives standards, which is everything this bloke does according to his junior coaches.

Could end up being an absolutely inspired pick with a free second rounder next season to boot.
I wonder what people will be saying about the trade if Chesser comes good & that future second ends up being a winner aswell. Would be some silly looking people

I wonder what people will be saying about the trade if Chesser comes good & that future second ends up being a winner aswell. Would be some silly looking people

People looking silly is a given here on Big Footy.

We all take our turn, some more often than others. Its only a matter of time before it happens!! ;) :rolleyes:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't worry about perceived lack of inside ability as he showed that at U16's.

For me he needs to work on three things. He is a very good kick of the ball but his shorter to mid range kicks can get a bit loopy. Needs to keep his head over the ball. His long kicks fly but they are more like Yeo's long kicks than Jetta's. From what i've seen he can hit an area on the long kicks but not Jetta or Hurn level precision onto the chest of a running player etc.

The last worrying thing is development. He's obviously put a lot of time into his body and preparation in these last two frustrating years but those last 2 years of development as a junior are incredibly important. It's why I can see a lot of busts early and some absolute gems late in this draft.

I would have liked to see more run and carry from him. From what I saw he was very much a mark and kick and one touch player rather that tuck it and go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back