List Mgmt. Welcome Reuben Ginbey (Pick 9, 2022 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

A solid unit already, comes pre-built!
Could be the grunt we need and he's got speed and swervability.
Also looks partial to a bit of mongrel, together with Culley - watch out!
Chesser, Ginby, Cullley, Hewitt - God damn, We just had a rebuild!
Early days of course...

Has a strong resemblance to Jesse Plemons.

Who is often referred to as a poor man's Matt Damon.

So is he a poor man's, poor man's Matt Damon?

url

So he's got of bit of work to do.

Hopefully he gets the chance to work on his fitness, strength and football skills professionally for a couple of years before passing proper judgement.
I thought he already had the speed and fortitude of an ox

Getting Clive Waterhouse vibes from this guy. Cult figure incoming!!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I must admit I'm always a little weary of guys who shoot up the board just on the back of the u/18 championships. Obviously, it's better to perform at the champs than not to perform, but - rightly or wrongly - I often get the same vibes of soccer players who land massive contracts on the back of the world cup. which so often ends up in tears from the purchasing club. He was outstanding at the champs, but his body of work outside of that is not amazing for a top-ten pick.

With the negativity out of the way, let's get positive - you can see there is just an incredible upside to Gibney. The guy is a unit and has some serious physical traits that we definitely lack in our current midfield. The talk in the press is that he is ultra-professional and a seriously hard worker, two traits that you can't ever have enough of. He'll be our strongest body in the midfield from day one, except for maybe Yeo (who might not even play much midfield anymore). Stating the obvious but teaming him up with Jai Culley is going to transform our midfield completely. We're still only half a dozen games into Culley's career and they've not even played together but that is the sort of recruitment strategy that gets supporters excited.

Go well young man. I can't wait for 2023 Round 1. I'm fully expecting another bottom-four finish, but finally seeing a big injection of youth into the club's playing ranks it's just super exciting.

EDIT: P.S. After seeing some stuff on Philippou, I'm happy we went with Ginbey. On the high risk high reward path, my preferred option was the Poo but I've gone a bit cold on him after last night I must admit - highly possible this is confirmation bias based on who the club has selected, but that feeling is there nonetheless.

Last edited:
Got the speed, size and determination, kicking skills are a concern.
Maybe a bit like Fyfe, get plenty of the ball, but don’t count on him to kick the GF winning goal.
Leave that to Hewett
more a see ball, get ball kick ball type- not the end of the world if he keeps getting it
For a beast I expected him to tower over Simmo? So how tall is the coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been wondering whether we had earmarked this bloke for our typical HBF with mid potential before the State WA coach grenaded our scouting and threw him in the midfield during the champs.

Quite possible we had an eye on him for one of our later picks in the hope we could develop him into a midfielder and then someone pulled back the cover and revealed a bit of his potential to the nation before we could snaffle him up on the cheap.

Seems a ripping bloke which ticks a lot of boxes for us. Athletic profile off the charts, bit of a punchable face. ✅ If the above is how it's unfolded I'm not surprised we ponied up what was required to secure him.

BOND 007 would love to hear how closely we were monitoring this lad and whether he was shortlisted by us before showing his midfield prowess.

Looks to be a big unit. He’s going to be a handful once he gets into the AFL strength and conditioning program. Man sized frame already, but should become a serious clearance machine with time. Left footer too, which is always nice.

That mullet is doing him no favours though. Good thing he can football.

It's the other way around. Pooh is the tweener who lacks endurance, speed off the line and agility. Can pirouette and snap a goal and he's got smarts, but he's a much more cumbersome type who will wind up as a third tall/ utility. Best case he's a Goddard type.

Ginbey is the inside midfield, defensive beast with burst speed. Not an accumulator yet but that's running patterns/ outside game related. Best case he's an Oliver type.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Given his lack of awareness of the ball, I think he'd be brilliant as a tagger initially. Such a plus athlete in size/speed/leap and solid tackling I think he'd cause some serious issues. Whether he can develop that midfielders awareness remains to be seen, hopefully the tagging of those with it will teach him.

I've been wondering whether we had earmarked this bloke for our typical HBF with mid potential before the State WA coach grenaded our scouting and threw him in the midfield during the champs.

Quite possible we had an eye on him for one of our later picks in the hope we could develop him into a midfielder and then someone pulled back the cover and revealed a bit of his potential to the nation before we could snaffle him up on the cheap.

Seems a ripping bloke which ticks a lot of boxes for us. Athletic profile off the charts, bit of a punchable face. ✅ If the above is how it's unfolded I'm not surprised we ponied up what was required to secure him.

BOND 007 would love to hear how closely we were monitoring this lad and whether he was shortlisted by us before showing his midfield prowess.

Had an eye on him for a while. Pleasantly surprised at his performances in the championships which showed strong midfield traits.
Ticks a lot of boxes & realisation that other clubs were very interested.

Imagine how awesome this would be for his dockers supporting family.

They chose wrong and switching teams is a real minefield as far as credibility goes so you just hatch a long term 4 d chess master tactic of producing a sprog good enough for the afl, get him drafted to west coast, then “reluctantly” retire all the purple s**t and put on your “oh so sad face” and get with the funking program and support a proper team that actually wins s**t!!

How fullfilling would it be!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back