Player Watch Wil Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

This could potentially lead to some manipulation and it should probably be looked at. A potential top 20 draft pick getting to us for nothing without other Clubs being able to compete fairly.

Im glad he chose us and it’s a free hit, you are right it’s why this is in place, get the talent on board.

We aren’t the only club with Cat B rookies and we’re restricted to a maximum of 2 like every other club. Not sure how we’re benefitting over and above the other clubs. How many wins have we had from the Cat B program? Probably only Cox and Marty Clark have really made a mark that I can recall. Arguably Madge.

probably given Parker played a full season of TAC cup including a grand final. Records are a bit scant but it seems Condon played just one game in WAFL colts.
But Parker didn't play any organised footy for three years, which is the criteria.

Doubtful that you'd see a lot of guys intentionally skipping three years of football to manipulate the draft on purpose.

It's just how it works. Every other cricketer who jumped back to footy was in the same scenario - Alex Keath, James O'Donnell, etc.

This could potentially lead to some manipulation and it should probably be looked at. A potential top 20 draft pick getting to us for nothing without other Clubs being able to compete fairly.

Im glad he chose us and it’s a free hit, you are right it’s why this is in place, get the talent on board.
Wilson was regarded as a top 30 prospect before choosing basketball too. Junior rankings should have no bearing on this system, the players coming in from it have been out of the system long enough that they’re starting from a long way back and are no sure thing regardless of their backgrounds.

Wilson was regarded as a top 30 prospect before choosing basketball too. Junior rankings should have no bearing on this system, the players coming in from it have been out of the system long enough that they’re starting from a long way back and are no sure thing regardless of their backgrounds.
Yeah, someone mentioned you need to be out for three years so probably not much of an issue. I think we have dibs on another basketball player if he doesn’t make it in the US. Three years of little development makes it tough from juniors.

Yeah, someone mentioned you need to be out for three years so probably not much of an issue. I think we have dibs on another basketball player if he doesn’t make it in the US. Three years of little development makes it tough from juniors.
Yes Alex Condon has committed to us if his NBA push is unsuccessful

(Log in to remove this ad.)

probably given Parker played a full season of TAC cup including a grand final. Records are a bit scant but it seems Condon played just one game in WAFL colts.

Condon represented WA in the u17 2021 championships so maybe just a little better than 1 colts game Might suggest.

Condon represented WA in the u17 2021 championships so maybe just a little better than 1 colts game Might suggest.

Under 17s is not exactly the same.

I’m just chucking the idea out there. Not exactly drawing up the specifics of what a tighter rule might look like but the afl may well look at the Parker situation and ponder why he shouldn’t re-enter the sport via the draft

Under 17s is not exactly the same.

I’m just chucking the idea out there. Not exactly drawing up the specifics of what a tighter rule might look like but the afl may well look at the Parker situation and ponder why he shouldn’t re-enter the sport via the draft

As far as I know he focused on basketball the following year so hard to gauge. I just don’t see the delineation between alternate sporting codes. If they’re doing it for 1, they’ll do it for all. Based on the success rate I can’t see it happening.

I posted this a few years ago in the 2020 draft thread in my usual family relations post and it's dated Jul 7 2019.

Wil Parker's section.

Wil is the:

Cousin of Eastern Ranges teammate Connor Weightman.
Nephew of Dale Weightman. (Richmond.)
Nephew of Geoffrey Parker. (Essendon.)
Cousin of Leigh Colbert. (Geelong/Kangaroos.)

As far as I know he focused on basketball the following year so hard to gauge. I just don’t see the delineation between alternate sporting codes. If they’re doing it for 1, they’ll do it for all. Based on the success rate I can’t see it happening.
I think the delineation is more about how elite the player was proven to be at tac cup and how much football they played in that pre draft year at that level.

Anyway just a thought, we got him now and it seems like a steal

I don't really understand the pre-signing of Condon. Did we have to shell out a heap? Why would he choose a club so far out?

Didn’t cost anything as far as I’m aware. Kid clearly wanted to cover his bases. Main goal is the NBL, if that doesn’t work out he’ll return to Oz and try to reignite his football option. Chose the Pies as the club where he’d like to try doing that. He’s currently in the US so being away from WA clearly doesn’t bother him meaning he had the choice of all 18 clubs. Why wouldn’t you pick the Pies.

I posted this a few years ago in the 2020 draft thread in my usual family relations post and it's dated Jul 7 2019.

Wil Parker's section.

Wil is the:

Cousin of Eastern Ranges teammate Connor Weightman.
Nephew of Dale Weightman. (Richmond.)
Nephew of Geoffrey Parker. (Essendon.)
Cousin of Leigh Colbert. (Geelong/Kangaroos.)

Thank you, good of you to share

Didn’t cost anything as far as I’m aware. Kid clearly wanted to cover his bases. Main goal is the NBL, if that doesn’t work out he’ll return to Oz and try to reignite his football option. Chose the Pies as the club where he’d like to try doing that. He’s currently in the US so being away from WA clearly doesn’t bother him meaning he had the choice of all 18 clubs. Why wouldn’t you pick the Pies.

Condon also a pies fan. Clearly his first option for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just don't understand why you'd pick anyone 3 years out unless there was an incentive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back