News Welcome to Geelong - Eddie Betts

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

But a club source has confirmed the Cats are set to lure him to GMHBA Stadium in a development coaching role as Geelong rejuvenate off-field after making the preliminary final again in 2021. His exact role at the Cats is still being fine-tuned.

Good get!
I wonder in what role? I know that all clubs are now required to have Indigenous Liaison Officers - and he'd be great at that; but geez imagine what he could teach our small forwards as well!
The word is he's coming on as an assistant coach, not an indigenous liaison officer although he might do both. Eddie is a great guy and I hope he proves a capable assistant coach. Having him at the club could really help us get some great indigenous talent in the future, like Tyson Stengle which the Cat's are after.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After not really moving forward too much in replacing the 3 assistants - bringing in Pops when apparently the footy dept didnt rate him, and losing out to carlton on Hansen, then this is welcome news. If Eddie can skill up our small forwards who tread water this year, then that will be a great help. Can he teach Myers to kick? Pretty sure he can help Close elevate even more to be more of a scoring threat, and finish Evans development into a solid senior player. Not sure he can help someone like Stengle, who's personal demons have prevented him being professional enough to be a regular ALF contributor, but if he could do that, then a properly committed Stengle would be a great boost. Can he work with Narkle to get him over the hump and playing dangerous consistant footy in the ones. Welcome Eddie, your very presence should help our culture, but also I hope you can help put an attacking edge and smarts on our smalls.
Now we just have the glaring gaps in the assistant line roles and a senior assistant by the looks of it, and it is getting pretty late in the piece to recruit experienced ones of these, so maybe we are going untried?

A lot of people relating the appointment of Betts with our interest in Stengle (fair enough given their Adelaide connection).

But I'm most excited with what he can do with Close. Close improved a lot this year already and is a fantastic user of the ball, so clean and fast. But the one knock on him is he doesn't kick enough goals. Hopefully Betts can teach him a little re. goal kicking nous and just give him the confidence to back himself in a bit more in front of goal and take the shots when they're there.

It is disappointing that all these changes are occurring now. It should have been done years ago when all the warning signs were starring at us straight in the face.
Now we have a list which is just about ready to be pushed over the cliff so while it's terrific, it's all too late.

The good news is we can hopefully create a list that can win a premiership when our time comes again. Might be 10 years from now, may be 20 years down the track.

Welcome to the cats Eddie! This is such brilliant news for the club. In my view his voice is the most respected in the game. I see his and Pops's appointments being all about culture and morale - not just in the playing group but across the whole club. Both of them I feel can help foster that enthusiasm and enjoyment of footy that may potentially have been lost over the last 2 years.

It is disappointing that all these changes are occurring now. It should have been done years ago when all the warning signs were starring at us straight in the face.
Now we have a list which is just about ready to be pushed over the cliff so while it's terrific, it's all too late.

The good news is we can hopefully create a list that can win a premiership when our time comes again. Might be 10 years from now, may be 20 years down the track.

At halftime of the 2020 Grand Final the score was 35-20. At 3quarter time it was 44-46.
What more do you want?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back