Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear!

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone remember Connor Downie's first game?

I'm sure he wouldn't want to remember it.

Debut the kids when they get the best chance to shine.

Don't throw them to the wolves.

How was Connor’s form as a key component of Box Hill’s team for a 5/6 week period prior to him coming in I wonder?

Oh, wait….

He probably won't remember it because he didn't actually get on the ground. Was the sub all game.

Probably that he’s not quite ready, and that’s ok if that’s the case.

The development coaches would have made him quite aware of the things he’s got to work on, and get better at.

If he cracks it for a game this week that’s great, but he’s probably not going to lose his mind if he doesn’t get one either.

Are they ever truly ready, or do you have to let go and and show faith in the talent they have at some point?

He’s super raw, and very talented.

There’s no ley forward in our team this week if he doesn’t play. Seems a raw, young key forward with a high ceiling and solid VFL form is a better option than going in without one.

How was Connor’s form as a key component of Box Hill’s team for a 5/6 week period prior to him coming in I wonder?

Oh, wait….
Probably wasn't - but that wasn't my point.

Debut Calsher in circumstances when he lacks KPF around him (because Chol and Lewis are sitting on the sidelines) and he's probably in for a very forgettable day.

Probably wasn't - but that wasn't my point.

Debut Calsher in circumstances when he lacks KPF around him (because Chol and Lewis are sitting on the sidelines) and he's probably in for a very forgettable day.
Here is a reason for not putting him in.

Lets say Dear plays and is battered from pillar to post and can not recover for the next game is out managed. Thats a poor result for both Dear and the club. Remember Dear needs games of football he has already missed two years of his journey. The more he plays the closer he gets to playing AFL footy. He is only 5 games into his journey patience really is a virtue

Are they ever truly ready, or do you have to let go and and show faith in the talent they have at some point?

He’s super raw, and very talented.

There’s no ley forward in our team this week if he doesn’t play. Seems a raw, young key forward with a high ceiling and solid VFL form is a better option than going in without one.
The million dollar question being is that it might be the better option for the HFC to have him in there BUT it might not be the better option for Calsher himself. I'd hate to see the kid get absolute towelled up and have his confidence shot just because the senior team is a dogs breakfast trying to plug holes in a leaking boat.

Poor Connor will end up a trivia question because of that "debut".

I'm just ecstatic that our pick 56 from the last draft is even in the conversation for a big forward spot 8 weeks into his first season.
That is a big tick for the lad and the club
While that is great, but to be fair he probably wouldn't be if DGB, Lewis, Chol weren't all out. Also Blank being out too means that it's less likely Sicily goes forward.

Here is a reason for not putting him in.

Lets say Dear plays and is battered from pillar to post and can not recover for the next game is out managed. Thats a poor result for both Dear and the club. Remember Dear needs games of football he has already missed two years of his journey. The more he plays the closer he gets to playing AFL footy. He is only 5 games into his journey patience really is a virtue
He's not playing against kids in the VFL running capacity is going to be his biggest obstacle. And if Lewis and Chol were playing and he was 3rd forward he would very easily get lost and not have opportunities. Now is perfect time to play him, he's in form, we have nobody else, he will get the ball kicked to him instead of being a decoy. Him playing in round 22 with Lewis and Chol in the side would be just meaningless and i doubt a few months will make much of a difference to his preparedness. Be a shame if he doesn't debut this year, we pick up a key forward through trade period, DGB comes back in and he is then behind Lewis, Chol and JUH for years and we are in a more performance period and won't give him a chance.

He's not playing against kids in the VFL running capacity is going to be his biggest obstacle. And if Lewis and Chol were playing and he was 3rd forward he would very easily get lost and not have opportunities. Now is perfect time to play him, he's in form, we have nobody else, he will get the ball kicked to him instead of being a decoy. Him playing in round 22 with Lewis and Chol in the side would be just meaningless and i doubt a few months will make much of a difference to his preparedness. Be a shame if he doesn't debut this year, we pick up a key forward through trade period, DGB comes back in and he is then behind Lewis, Chol and JUH for years and we are in a more performance period and won't give him a chance.
Do you even pay any heed to my post mate. He is 5 games in and only played footy over the last 18 months after a sabbatical. Him being introduced to AFL football doesn't mean he needs to be head cahuna in fact as a KP its preferable that he isn't. If he is good enough he will get the ball even playing as third banana. A few months makes a difference. It builds his body to the rigours of playing football every week. Which he may not. He might have weeks off here and there when he is sore. Like i said as first banana he will be double and tripled team with AFL bodies especially this week as he has no support. Think of whats best for the kid playing him this week is just isn't

If Mitchell looks to keep Ramsden in his side and still seek a replacement for Chol, then Dear looms as the leading choice for Round 8.

While still needing time to develop his forward craft and add size, Dear has shown an astute ability to have an impact in the air and work with teammates forward of the ball across Box Hill's 4-1 start to the season.

If we pick him I will be wrapt for him and excited to see him play .
I think we have a real talent here .

But I don't think it's the right move and we would risk bbqing him.
Would have real potential to put him back a few steps.
He is a good size , but he is a kid .

It's tempting but not worth it imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nobody was worried about this guy snapping in half when he debuted.

View attachment 1976289
Why are we comparing dear to a generational talent? Find a skinny footballer that missed a chunk of junior games but was picked at the back of the draft and then picked to play seniors early in the season despite lacking the aerobic base and conditioning to play a whole game of afl in a forward line lacking experience.

Why are we comparing dear to a generational talent? Find a skinny footballer that missed a chunk of junior games but was picked at the back of the draft and then picked to play seniors early in the season despite lacking the aerobic base and conditioning to play a whole game of afl in a forward line lacking experience.
Buddy was not drafted as a generational talent.
He was so skinny that he was not recognised as a proper KPP in the AFL until his 3rd season.

He was so skinny that he was not recognised as a proper KPP in the AFL until his 3rd season.

He was a top 5 draft pick and only slid because of his attitude in draft interviews which spooked Richmond, not based on his talent. You’ve also not addressed Bris’ relevant points about the footy that Dear has missed prior to being drafted. Comparatively Buddy was playing senior WAFL games prior to being drafted.

He was a top 5 draft pick and only slid because of his attitude in draft interviews which spooked Richmond, not based on his talent. You’ve also not addressed Bris’ relevant points about the footy that Dear has missed prior to being drafted. Comparatively Buddy was playing senior WAFL games prior to being drafted.
Frankly Dear may be no different to Mitch Thorp - who (like Buddy) also got picked high (6), waited until a hyped up Rd 15 debut, played as a third tall with Bud/Rough in the side, got injured, played one more game, then finished his career with 2 AFL games.

1714599485659.jpeg

Last edited:
People were calling him a superstar by his third game. His talent was obvious from day one.

I think he’s almost there, but not quite. I love the fact we’re letting his confidence grow weekly as part of a winning VFL team. In my opinion, give him another 5-6 weeks and then blood as a third tall (with Lewis back) against Richmond at the MCG.
Very good point. Being a key forward is best suited to those with a heck tonne of confidence on the field. Watching Buddy the other day I remember the swagger and how much I missed it

I still love you man

It would negligent of us to ignore his amazing form for another 5-6 weeks.
IMO it would stall his development, not hasten it.

Expecting him to do any more than he is already producing before he debuts is pretty ridiculous.
No player ever has been asked to do more before a debut.

I find the hesitation on this board to be quite bizarre IMO.
Dear is a big lad already.
Get him in!
Negligent is rather a strong word for not bringing in a first year player not even half way through the season into a team that is s**t atm

Last edited:
The past does not matter, only what he is doing now.
If Dear was just getting 5 kicks and scoring 2.2 each match, I might be sympathetic to the view that he needs to do more.

His numbers are good all over.
Reports all confirm he works hard.

The past does not matter, only what he is doing now.
If Dear was just getting 5 kicks and scoring 2.2 each match, I might be sympathetic to the view that he needs to do more.

His numbers are good all over.
Reports all confirm he works hard.
I don’t mind if he comes in - but won’t lose my s**t if he doesn’t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back